Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Sony Alpha dSLR / Konica Minolta dSLR, Sony SLT

Old Mar 2, 2006, 7:54 AM   #11

DorkUnderwater wrote:
Quote:
Apparently, B & H has a lot of them. I just called them because I want to order now and get it this sunday (theyre not open on saturday!! but then again thats sabbath i think). Theres up to a 3 day transfer period so I have to order tomorrow, the guy said it shouldnt be sold out tomorrow, that they have "a lot".

I guess somebody at KM or SONY doesnt want all those rebate forms coming in again, and so instead theyre capitalizing on the high demand from the ownership change giving out new 5D's, it also say on the B&H website "New Item". Smart move, thought it pisses me off that I'll finally get one right AFTER the rebate expires! $699 for the kit (18-70) at B&H doesnt sound like a bad deal, though Im sure it was once cheaper but probably will one day again (but not anytime soon if I'm not mistaken).
Huh, so you think they sold too well with the rebate so they stopped shipping them for a while? You never know! I bought mine from b&h and got it the night before the anouncement, for $599 (after rebate). Its definatly priced wrong, at any rate, since its really at the lead of the "entry level" dslr's.
tmoreau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 2, 2006, 10:59 AM   #12

I just noticed the note on that 50mm 1.7 for $25- the aperture is oily, so it needs a $50 fix.
Mercury694 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 4, 2006, 12:09 AM   #13

I guess I should have been more specific: I'm not interested in used equipment. I've been burned twice buying used over the Internet and won't do it again. I appreciate the value of a warranty.

I agree that panic buying and stopped shipments resulted in the shortages. I just wish Sony or KM would be a bit more forthcoming about future plans.
William Kious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 4, 2006, 8:25 AM   #14
Administrator

William Kious wrote:
Quote:
I guess I should have been more specific: I'm not interested in used equipment. I've been burned twice buying used over the Internet and won't do it again. I appreciate the value of a warranty.
The better vendors have a return policy that allows you to check and make sure a lens works OK. They typically have a warranty, too (30-90 days, depending on the vendor).

I've bought used gear from keh.com, adorama.com and bhphotovideo.com, and I've never had to return a used lens. KEH is my favorite, since they tend to have more conservative ratings, offering more "bang for the buck". B&H is my second favorite, followed by Adorama. But, they are all reputable vendors.

B&H Return Policy on used gear, and used gear comes with a warranty

KEH Return Policy on used gear, and used gear comes with a warranty

Adorama Return Policy

Scroll down and you'll see their warranty on used gear:

Adorama Warranty on Used Gear

No, it's not a long term warranty like you get with a new lens. But, you can save a lot of money compared to buying new.

I've got a Minolta 28mm f/2, 50mm f/1.7, 100mm f/2, 135mm f/2.8; 24-85mm f3.5-4.5; 35-70mm f/4 Macro, Tamron 35-105mm f/2.8, all purchased in used or refurbished condition for my KM 5D. Only a couple of my lenses for this camera were purchased new (the price difference can be significant + some good lenses are discontinued like my Minolta 100mm f/2 (which tests sharper at all it's available apertures compared to the Minolta 85mm f/1.4G).

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 4, 2006, 8:48 AM   #15
Administrator

William Kious wrote:
Quote:
I just wish Sony or KM would be a bit more forthcoming about future plans.
Well, keep in mind that the turnover doesn't happen until April 1. So, Sony and KM may have an arrangment that doesn't impact KM's ability to sell existing stock (speculation on my part, but that's what I'd expect with this type of a deal).

IOW, if announcements were made right now on new products, it could hurt KM's ability to sell existing products if the new products offered more features users were interested in (they may decide to wait).

Rumour has it (and this is only rumour) that KM is negotiating with a larger vendor for selling remaining KM branded stock. Only time will tell.

As for reputable sources for used gear (with vendors that have a short term return policy as well as a warranty), see my previous post in this thread.

P.S. -- A poster in Taiwan on another forum just indicated that a store there said they are expecting a new shipment of lenses in Tuesday. Given that we've seen some resupply of camera kits (for example B&H was sold out and just got more in), I'd suggest being patient if you insist on buying new. I doubt that KM is totally out yet. They're probably just negotiating with vendors for remaining stock.

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote