Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Sony Alpha dSLR / Konica Minolta dSLR, Sony SLT

Old Mar 1, 2006, 9:58 AM   #1

I've been looking around and price shopping for lenses quite a bit in the past few weeks and I've noticed inventories of KM lenses slipping. The 20/24mm prime lenses are getting very scarce, it seems. Actually, the only lenses I have seen consistently in stock are the new D lenses.

Have you seen what prices for 50mm KM lenses has jumped to?

Is this part-and-parcel to the Sony merger? Are lenses and accessories going to be increasingly harder to find until Sony decides to tell the rest of the world what they plan to do with KM?

*sigh* I knew I should have went with Canon or Nikon.
William Kious is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 1, 2006, 10:18 AM   #2
Administrator

I suspect KM stopped all shipments of new lenses to distributors, and after the Sony/KM announcements we saw a lot of "panic buying" from KM DSLR owners that depeleted existing stock.

Rumour has it (and this is only a rumour) that KM may be negotiating with a larger retailer for selling existing stock. But, I have no way to verify if it's only a rumour or not.

That may also be why Sony is remaining "mum" on their plans (as not to impact KM's ability to sell what they may have left from production runs.

Keep in mind that no transfer of assets has happened yet either (not until March 31). So, there may be some negotiatons still being finalized, with some clauses designed to improve KM's marketability of what they have already produced. This is only speculaton on my part.

As for the 50mm f1/7, I saw two of them day before yesterday in Excellent condition at a larger vendor for $79 each. Yes, that's about as much as a new one was going for before. But, if you're a patient shopper, you can find them for less. Just don't get caught up in the bidding wars we're seeing on Ebay right now.

Also, now that dealers are running out of KM DSLR models, the used lens market should start to settle down again soon.

Minolta produced some 16 Million lenses in Maxxum/Dynax mount since it was introduced in 1985 (and that doesn't include scores of lenses from Tamron, Tokina, Sigma, Cosina and others). There are a LOT of them in the market. Be patient. ;-).

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 1, 2006, 10:24 AM   #3
Administrator

JimC wrote:
Quote:
As for the 50mm f1/7, I saw two of them day before yesterday in Excellent condition at a larger vendor for $79 each.
And, they're still there:

Used Fixed Focal Length Lenses for Minolta AF Cameras at Adorama

Old Mar 1, 2006, 10:25 AM   #4

An old 1.7 50 mm sells currently for around 100€, that is 120$ on Ebay. I am trying to get a new Sigma EX DG 1.8 24 mm. While this lense is easily available for Canon and Nikon nobody has it in stock for the KM lense mount at a reasonable price.
kassandro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 1, 2006, 12:16 PM   #5

just a note that B&H has the Minolta 5d back in stock as of today. SO if your waiting to get one, nows the time...............
VAtechtigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 1, 2006, 12:20 PM   #6
Administrator

Cool...

I noticed Cameta selling U.S. warrantied models on Ebay recently, too (so, they must be coming from somwhere).

Old Mar 1, 2006, 3:45 PM   #7

Apparently, B & H has a lot of them. I just called them because I want to order now and get it this sunday (theyre not open on saturday!! but then again thats sabbath i think). Theres up to a 3 day transfer period so I have to order tomorrow, the guy said it shouldnt be sold out tomorrow, that they have "a lot".

I guess somebody at KM or SONY doesnt want all those rebate forms coming in again, and so instead theyre capitalizing on the high demand from the ownership change giving out new 5D's, it also say on the B&H website "New Item". Smart move, thought it pisses me off that I'll finally get one right AFTER the rebate expires! $699 for the kit (18-70) at B&H doesnt sound like a bad deal, though Im sure it was once cheaper but probably will one day again (but not anytime soon if I'm not mistaken).
DorkUnderwater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 1, 2006, 6:09 PM   #8

However, back to the initial question posed in this thread: "Are KM lens becoming scarce?"

I watch Ebay rather closely andI agree with kassandro,that the older used 35-70mm, the 50mm, and the 70-210mm lenses have become much more scarce and are being sold at considerably higher prices than they were in the Fall of 2005.

MT
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 1, 2006, 11:07 PM   #9

Yeah, the 70-210 lenses are selling for ~$100 more than they were in Oct-Nov 05. There aren't many of the 50mm 1.7's there, but they're not way out of line ~$50-$100.

I'm not sure I understand the "I should have bought Canon" line of thought. Canon's lenses aren't any cheaper, but I guess since they were practically giving away Maxxum mount lenses 6 months ago we feel like we're spending too much.

I've also been looking for a good wide lens, I may buy a 18-70 D just to get a bit more range (below my 28mm) but I don't know if it's worth the cost to me.Perhaps I'll wait for the new Tamron 17-50.

Edit: there is 1 50mm 1.7 for $25 at Adorama right now. (V condition ) Maybe the sky isn't falling.
Mercury694 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 2, 2006, 4:14 AM   #10

I have been bidding on a couple of 50mm f1.7 lenses, but I stop before I get to excited. Here in the UK (England), they are doing upto £80-£90 ($136-$153). Heres a coincedence, the exchange rate at 1.7 is the same as the 'f' number, Ooops I'll get me coat.

Rob
Rob Beard is offline   Reply With Quote