Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Sony Alpha dSLR / Konica Minolta dSLR, Sony SLT

Old Mar 2, 2006, 1:26 PM   #11

yeah, what you have is a charged peice of dust. Its clinging to the sensor. You can get a sensor brush that you charge with air before you sweep it across the sensor and the dust should cling to it and not the sensor.

If its "wet" dust which has clung to the sensor (and since it moved most likely not) you would have to use a wet method such as a methanol based product and cleaning tip.

*edited for spelling
VAtechtigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 2, 2006, 1:34 PM   #12
Administrator

http://www.prime-junta.net/pont/How_...ur_Sensor.html

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 2, 2006, 2:27 PM   #13

Jim,
before I bought my KM 7D I knew very well that sensor dust is perhaps the biggest DSLR pitfall and I read quite a few articles about sensor cleaning before I actually got my 7D. I have to say that your link certainly points to the most convinving method. Many Thanks! Actually I have used cosmetic brushes to clean lenses for a long time. Three such brushes cost only a little more than 1€ (however mine are smaller) and not 300$, but I don't know whether they are really made of Nylon. As I too have a bicycle pump sensor cleaning now seems to be easier than expected. In addition I would put the camera on a tripod with the lens down vertically and then I would brush from below to exploit gravitation.
kassandro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 2, 2006, 2:29 PM   #14

do NOT merely open the shutter to blow off the sensor

USE THE CLEAN SENSOR setting via the menu

mount the camera face down on a tripod

wear a cheap dust mask (breath is full of water particles)

the clean sensor setting(s) depower the sensor and remove the built in static charge which 'may' be holding the dust speck (but allowing it to move around)

do NOT use a q-tip, use a sterile polyester medical grade swab to ever so lightly touch the spot (NO 'rubbing')
bernabeu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 2, 2006, 4:32 PM   #15

This is really bugging me, not many things do but this has, I have read all your reports and posts and I really do appreciate it, I honestly do. I feel like putting it on a B-B-Q at the moment. I have bought a manual blower and a brush made of pony hair, what would you do in my posistion?

How easily does the CCD scratch? Should I take the camera back hoping that I can still get another DYNAX 5D. I have saved for this camera and have bought filters and allsorts of things for it. This is upsetting me now, please help me guys, please.

Rob:-x
Rob Beard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 2, 2006, 4:37 PM   #16
Administrator

kassandro wrote:
Quote:
I have to say that your link certainly points to the most convinving method. Many Thanks!
Petteri is a very respected photographer, and he's an old Minolta fan. He used to give composition lessons on a Minolta forum. He's using a Canon 5D right this minute.

Make sure to read all of his article on sensor cleaning (it's multiple pages), going into selecting brushes, etc. if you want to try it yourself.

I'd make sure to read his other articles, too.

If you can't get one clean any other way, I'd just go with Sensor Swabs and Eclipse. B&H sells sensor swabs, but you may need to look around locally for Eclipse (it's considered hazardous material and many vendors won't ship it).

P.S. Be careful with that bicycle pump you mentioned.

You don't want to blow in more dust than is already there. :-)

Also, you see horror stories from time to time when someone tries to use air with too much pressure (damaging mirrors, etc.). A rubber squeeze bulb is usually all it takes to blow away a spec of dust. If it's stubborn, then go to other methods.

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 2, 2006, 4:57 PM   #17

if you have the blower, give that a shot first as you cant really do any harm that way, aside from blowing more gunk in there.

The brush methods are good too.

just be careful when you get into wiping with anything you run the risk of scratching if you have something thats not soluble under the cloth or tip. (Think small peice of dirt, nto dust you cant see) Then it become just like sandpaper.

Some tips for changing the lens to avoid junk in the future
-dont do it facing the wind. Ill do in inside my camera bag sometimes like when its snowing or dusty out if I have to change a lens.
VAtechtigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 2, 2006, 7:21 PM   #18

@Rob Beard:
Be cautious but don't be afraid. We all have to perform this nasty procedure at some time. Once you are successfull, that problem will no more be fearful. I haven't done it yet myself, though. Fortunately my new KM 7D was fairly clean. I only did change lenses at home with the camera face down. In the end nobody can avoid sensor dust. The very active german KM 7D/5D site http://www.d7userforum.de is full of funny sensor cleaning stories. Many messed up their sensor but nobody actually destroyed it. I can't imagine that the blower method is really successful. You only blow around the dust within the camera and it may accumulate on the mirror, which seems to be more difficult to clean. When I see dust in my pictures like in Rob's case I will directly follow the guidance in Jim's link. However, I will start looking for appropriate Nylon brushes immediately in order to get peace of mind.
kassandro is offline   Reply With Quote