Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Sony Alpha dSLR / Konica Minolta dSLR, Sony SLT

Old Mar 1, 2006, 4:40 PM   #1

Here are a few pics, does not always happen, it happened last weekend and it happened today also, but not all the time.

I have checked the lenses, I have checked the filters, I have checked the 2X tele-converter. I keep on getting a Black/Grey dot, no matter what lens I try. I have probably changed the lenses about 20 times (had the front off the camera), is this crud/muck, or what.

Rob
Attached Images

Rob Beard is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 1, 2006, 4:42 PM   #2

Just to the right of the wing, slightly darker

Rob
Attached Images

Old Mar 1, 2006, 4:47 PM   #3

Still in the same place, changed lenses

Rob
Attached Images

Old Mar 1, 2006, 4:49 PM   #4

1 Hour later with the same lens and nothing:X

Rob
Attached Images

Old Mar 1, 2006, 4:50 PM   #5

well, how about giving the sensor a blow off. Just scroll through the menus till you get to the one that says Clean CCD with the ominous looking Warning triangle next to it. Select that. It tells you what to do such as removing the lens and turning off the camerea when your done.

After the mirror pops out of the way and you can see the sensor, if you shine al ight on it you can see bigger debris on it. If this is a big spec maybe just a puff of air to dislodge it, or a q tip to touch and remove it. I wouldnt rub anything as you dont want any scratches. Take care not to get any more junk in there when your working on it. Use a clean area to set up in.
VAtechtigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 1, 2006, 5:08 PM   #6

Thanks for that Tigger, it looks like crud to me, shows up more with a smaller apeture, won't try tonight though, just come from the pub

Thanks

Rob
Old Mar 1, 2006, 10:32 PM   #7

You have a speck of dust on the sensor. I can still see it clearly in the last picture (ok, not that clearly!) right above the end of that branch. I have a small blower brush for the purpose, but also used a plastic syringe before to blow dust off my sensor. Dont stick your face in there and breath on it, you dont want to spit all over everything or contaminate the sensor with your breath.

I have 3200 pictures with my 5d in just over a month, and I've cleaned the sensor a couple times. I have no idea how many times I've changed lenses... lots!
tmoreau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 2, 2006, 12:44 PM   #8

In the cart, I have now opened the shutter about 10 times andblown the living daylights out of the sensor, the black blob that you saw before has moved to the middle but not as noticible, it is at f22 though, are you aloud to touch the CCD with a brush, I just cannot move the spec, please bare in mind it is only three weeks old, but I do have extremely delicate nimble fingers.

Rob
Old Mar 2, 2006, 12:47 PM   #9

Muck now ion the middle
Attached Images

Old Mar 2, 2006, 1:17 PM   #10

If you have to touch the sensor with anything, you might want to do some research first. And be careful. There are special brushes for the purpose, which are cheap.

I found this site with some interesting information http://www.cleaningdigitalcameras.com/methods.html
tmoreau is offline   Reply With Quote