Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Sony Alpha dSLR / Konica Minolta dSLR, Sony SLT

Old Mar 2, 2006, 1:59 PM   #1

Finally found a good deal, by apparently a reputable company on ebay. I called these guys asking them about the rebate, they checked the site for me and told me it expired, sounded very corteous. Also, they give tracking number and all that so they seem to be good, called Cord Camera. Anyway, its $670 for the kit (w/ 18-70 DT) and about 16$ shipping, better price than B&H and no tax.

What im looking for now is some maxxum lens site, a bright prism would be nice. I know I saw a link earlier, but I dont remember which post it is on! Hopefully these snows wont delay it from coming.
DorkUnderwater is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 2, 2006, 2:13 PM   #2
Administrator

Cord Camera is a reputable dealer.

Try these 3 for used lenses:

http://www.keh.com

http://www.bhphotovideo.com

http://www.adorama.com

Make sure you get AF lenses (not old MC/MD mount manual focus lenses, since they have a different lens mount system)

Adorama had two 50mm f/1.7 AF lenses in stock yesterday in their used gear dept. for $79, but I haven't checked today.

That's a bit steep, but they are getting harder to come by lately.

Ebay, local pawn shops, camera stores, newspaper listings, etc., are a good way to find deals, too.

Also, take a look at "camera outfits" when searching. Sometimes you'll find packages with lenses, where the worth of the lenses alone is worth buying one that way, even if you don't need the camera.

I bought my 50mm f/1.7 that way ($49 for a Maxxum 7000, Minolta 50mm f/1.7 and a Minolta 1800AF flash), just to get the lens.

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 2, 2006, 3:02 PM   #3

i have an old 1:1.7 auto rikenon that is screw mount from my old slr, doubt its even worth getting the m42 adaptor (is that what its called?)
Old Mar 2, 2006, 3:12 PM   #4

also, is there a list somewhere for compatible flashes fith the KM 5D? thanks, youre right theres a LOT of maxxum auctions on ebay, many with 50 mm bright prisms for cheaper than the lens! as long as the shipping isnt abysmal.
Old Mar 2, 2006, 3:43 PM   #5
Administrator

From my perspective, trying to get adapters for old lenses is more trouble than it's worth (unless you *really* like a lens). ;-)

The camera won't talk to the lens via an adapter, so you'll need to meter stopped down (because the camera won't know what aperture it's set to). That means a darker viewfinder trying to meter with smaller apertures.

You also need an adapter with the equivalent of a 1.4x teleconverter built in if you want to focus to infinity (and you'll lose a stop of light with that kind of adaper, as well as degrading optical performance due to more elements in the light path).

Also, DSLR viewfinders are not the best for manual focus anyway (focus screens don't lend themselves well to MF, and viewfinders tend to be smaller).

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote