Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Sony Alpha dSLR / Konica Minolta dSLR, Sony SLT

Old Mar 2, 2006, 3:58 PM   #1

Hello,

Im tired of my stick on sheets peeling off as my SLR hangs around my neck, and the pop up hoods are a pain in the arse. Anybody know of a snap on or stick on hard screen for the 5D?
Thanks
VAtechtigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 2, 2006, 4:57 PM   #2

camera should have come with a 'snap on' factory protective screen
bernabeu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 2, 2006, 5:18 PM   #3
Administrator

Only the 7D has this (snap on protective screen from the factory). I don't know if the 7D screen works on the 5D or not).

Personally, I don't worry about it.

I've got a Konica Revio KD-510z that goes with me everywhere in my pants pocket. It's been dropped multiple times, kicked across concrete once by accident, and even given up for lost until some workers erecting a telephone pole found it in the yard.

I don't even bother to keep it in a pocket by itself anymore (I often have change and keys in the same pocket, with an exposed LCD).

It still works fine, with no visible scratches on the LCD (even though you do see nicks and scraps on the body, including the metal around the LCD). That LCD must be very tough.

I don't know how tough the 5D LCD is in comparison. But, there is one way to find out... time. :-)

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 2, 2006, 6:46 PM   #4
Super Moderator

Yep, nothing available for the 5D apart from stick on film which I don't personally like. Most of us treat or DSLRs better than our PS cameras so will probably completely fine.
Mark1616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 2, 2006, 7:20 PM   #5

yeah, I do baby it of course, but Im anal about the screens. It really bugs me if there is a scratch. Ill have to take a look at the 7D one and see if I can make it work (if it needs anything at all)
Old Mar 3, 2006, 4:38 AM   #6
Super Moderator

Unfortunately the back of the 7D is completely different to the 5D with regards the screen. There are 4 clips for the cover to lock into so that will not be an option. Have a look at the review on Steve's for a good pic.
Mark1616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 3, 2006, 9:43 AM   #7

There is an aftermarket one for the 5D

http://cgi.ebay.com/Delkin-Pop-Up-Sh...QQcmdZViewItem
alexperez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 3, 2006, 10:22 AM   #8

yeah, I just dont like the pop ups very much. I refer to my screen to many times to want to pop it up, look, put it down, look in viewfinder, etc.....

Ive been thinking about breaking off the pop up lid though, as there is a glass cover intergrated into this and the one from hoodman as well.

Thanks
Old Mar 3, 2006, 12:15 PM   #9

I use a piece of 1/16" acrylic/plexiglas cut to fit with 1/8" wide clear double sided tape. It's the same as the Da Protector idea only cheaper. When it's time to replace it I run a piece of dental floss behind it and put on a new one. I have one on all my LCD camera screens. Yes they do scratch.:shock:
nooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 7, 2006, 10:53 PM   #10

i just leave the screen sheet/protector it came with on, that blue tape. wonder if thats a bad idea or not and how effective it is against scratches.
DorkUnderwater is offline   Reply With Quote