Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Sony Alpha dSLR / Konica Minolta dSLR, Sony SLT

Old Mar 3, 2006, 7:57 AM   #1

Hello again folks.

Its been awhile since my last post when I reported on my experience with my new 5D. I have had time to play since then and I am still very impressed with the ability of a camera at this price range.

I am making a weekend trip to the Lake District in 3weeks to go give the camera a real run with landscapes. I'm new to landscape photography and my question to you more experienced folk is will the kit lens (despite it's limited quality at wide angle) be good enough for this style of photogrpahy. I feel that 18mm is prob ok but with the 1.5x factor doesn't that make this lense a true 27mm??

Additionally, is the kit lens better at wide angle with small or larger apertures? My limited time with the camera and work commitments has left little time to experiment.

I've been looking forward to this trip for ages as Cumbria is a magnificent shoot location and I just want to come back with phots which do it justice!

Thanks
Marcus.

overexpo is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 3, 2006, 9:27 AM   #2

I think you'll be fairly happy with the 18-70 lens, landscapes tend to be shot at small aperture (high f number) so you'll be using the best part of the glass. Yes, 18mm= 27mm focal length, but many photographers shoot landscapes with a 24 or 28mm lens, you're right there. Your own style is the major factor in whether or not 27mm is wide enough.( There is a 11-18mm Minoltawide zoom, if you want a lens that's worth more than your body.):shock:

I personally believe that the 18-70 lens is getting a bad rap for no good reason. I've seen some very sharp photos using that lens. Steves sample shots aren't disappointing. I'm sure that there are some folks that think Minolta should have delivered a 11-1000mm APO G f2 D lens for the roughly $70 that it adds to the body vs. the kit price, but for the money you cannot buy a better lens with this range. I'm pretty pumped up about the Tamron 17-50 thats coming out and it'll probably cost 3x that. I only wish that Minolta would have offered the 7d with that lens in a kit, the 28-100 didn't give me any more range than I already owned.
Mercury694 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 3, 2006, 9:54 AM   #3
Administrator

If you're shooting on the wide end of the lens, it appears to be sharpest in the center at around f/5.6, with corner sharpness best at around f/8. You'll have a bit of barrel distortion at it's widest zoom setting, though.

Zoomed in to 28mm, f/8 appears to be best for both center and corner sharpness.

So, on the wider end, I'd probably shoot at around f/8 with it.

Zoomed in to around 50mm, the sharpest is around f/11. Scroll down in this review and you'll see some sample photos at different focal lengths and apertures. Tom finished this review before the camera was actually shipping (KM in Thailand let him borrow one). It's actually the second part of a two part reviiew.

http://www.photohobby.net/webboard/s...ta&No=5659

BTW, if your favorite raw converter supports the 5D, there's a good chance that Tom helped. Tom was kind enough to send me sample raw and jpeg images, including some of a Macbeth color chart, so that the KM 5D could be added to dcraw.c with support for the "as shot" white balance.

I forwarded these test photos to David Coffin so that he could add this model, even before it was shipping. Many raw converters base at least some of their code on David's Ansi standard C source for the raw conversion piece, so the sooner a model shows up in dcraw.c, the sooner it shows up in some of the other raw converters available.

Later I also sent them to Dalibor Jelinek, since he had a note on his web site requesting sample .mrw files from this model for use in adding it the camera to MRWFormat

Dalibor probably knows more about Minolta raw files than anyone outside of the engineers that designed the format.

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 3, 2006, 8:23 PM   #4

Also, don't forget that there is some great stitching software out there for Panorama shots. While the purists might scoff at those, I think they can do a fabulous job for landscape purposes and give you that 10mm wide angle without any distortion which no lens can give you.
rduve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 4, 2006, 3:05 PM   #5

Thanks for the Info Jim, Mercury and Rduve. I was planning on shooting at around f8-f11 at full wide most of the time anyway to keep everythng crisp, the info is most helpful as it tells me I'm on the right lines!

I've ordered some cheap Kood grey grads to fit my p series holder which I'm not expecting miracles from but I'm hopeful I can get the shots I need.

On the RAW subject, I'm really pleased with the results acheived from Adobe RAW. Everything I need is there and the quality is more than good. At this stage I cannot see me purchasing a dedicated program due to this.

Best
Marcus

Old Mar 4, 2006, 4:14 PM   #6
Administrator

overexpo wrote:
Quote:
On the RAW subject, I'm really pleased with the results acheived from Adobe RAW. Everything I need is there and the quality is more than good. At this stage I cannot see me purchasing a dedicated program due to this.
ACR does a great job.

David Coffins's dcraw.c is free (but, it's a command line program). I use it often. I was playing around with a shot I took yesterday and converted it with ACR, RSE and dcraw.c and preferred the way dcraw.c handled it, using it with a -w parameter for the camera's as shot white balance..

Lots of other programs use at least some of his code. You'll see a list of them under a section for Other Raw Converters. Some of them take pieces of his code for the raw conversion, then add features on top of it (sliders for adjusting the image, sharpening, more formats to save it in, nice GUI interfaces, etc).

For some photos, ACR is best. I tend to run photos taken in the same conditions through a few of them, then use the one that works best with the least tweaking (which is not always the same converter). ;-)

I was just mentioning them, since Tom (the reviewer showing lens sharpness of the kit lens at different apertures and focal lengths) was kind enough to provide some sample raw images to get the KM 5D supported for raw conversion in dcraw.c , including support for the camera's as shot white balance (which means more software with support for the camera, since some of them use David's free source code as a model to build on.

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 5, 2006, 3:22 PM   #7

Hi Jim,

No, I agree that you have a very valid point. I read Tom's review of the lens and felt it was a very valauable resource and I would encourage those who are influenced by the opinions of a few to have a read, experiement and reach their own conclusions as regards the 18-70 DT lens. After all, with even the most expensive lenses, there are little tricks to get the best from them.

Going back to RAW, I certainly welcome anybody providing any input to ensure that KM cameras are supported throughout the product range, from RAW manipulation/control to aftermarket products.

As I'm sure most of you have guessed, I'm pretty new to photography but I am already finding that the RAW element of shooting provides so much more creativity but more importantly - flexibility.

Following my first trip out since the purchase of the 5d (to the Lake District), I hope to be able to show you guys some worthy exposures.

Best
Marcus.