Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Sony Alpha dSLR / Konica Minolta dSLR, Sony SLT

Old Mar 4, 2006, 1:54 AM   #1

I was looking at this lens and read that this was a good quality lens with low dispersion elements. Any info on this lens?
cuzz57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 4, 2006, 5:38 AM   #2
Administrator

I think you're probably looking at a Manual Focus (MC/MD mount) lens, since I can't find this lens in any of the lens performance surveys for Minolta AF lenses.

I do see a Manual Focus lens from Tokina with this description, but it won't even mount on your camera (Minolta changed the lens mount 21 years ago to the new Autofocus Mount).

MC/MD mount Manual Focus lenses won't even mount on your camera.

You'll need to look for Minolta Autofocus Lenses (a.k.a., Minolta AF Mount, Maxxum, Dynax, Minolta A-Mount).

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 4, 2006, 5:53 AM   #3
Administrator

P.S.

I think I found the lens you're referring to. I see an AF mount version of it on Ebay.

I personally wouldn't trust it without seeing user reports on it and/or MTF charts.

Most of the time, the cheaper 70-210mm f/4.5-5.6 lenses are of relatively poor optical quality.

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 4, 2006, 8:30 AM   #4

I'm fairly happy with my Minolta 70-210 4-5.6. It's not as good optically as other lenses in that range, but outdoors in daylight it's fine. I like it because I can take it places I wouldn't take more expensive glass (the beach, camping, etc) and I can let my kids use it. (I also have a quantaray in this range, it's more compact but I don't like it quite as well. ) As long as you understand the limits of the lens- at full zoom it is very dim- I say go ahead and get it. You know better what your budget allows and your style demands.
Mercury694 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 4, 2006, 11:51 AM   #5

This is the Tokina Lens: TOKINA For Minolta 70-210 F4-5.6 AF Lens. Fits MINOLTA AF 7000 camera and like models. IT OFFERSSUPERB COLOR RENDITION AND SHARPENESS BY USING SUPER LOW DISPERSION GLASS The lens comes with original front and rearcaps, and soft carrying case. Has a Vivitar 52mm Skylight (1A) protective filter lens. And Hood. (See photo). Also fits some new digital cameras like the Minolta 5-D

These are the specs:

Tokina 70-210mm f/4.0-5.6 Zoom Lens for Nikon AF mount, Lens caps.
  • Tokina 70-210mm f4.0-5.6 AF210 II zoom lens for Nikon Autofocus SLR systems is one of the smallest and lightest in it's class. [/*]
  • Super Low Dispersion glass. [/*]
  • Most popular tele range. [/*]
  • Excellent for action sports and macro. [/*]
  • Filter size 52mm. [/*]
  • Macro rating 1:5.1. [/*]
  • Minimum focus 51.5 inches. [/*]
  • Dimensions: 2.9 x 3.5 inches/65x87mm. [/*]
  • Weighs 16 oz/440g
[/*]
I paid $50.00 for it. New in box.

I also have a Minolta 100-200 f4.5 Lens.

cuzz57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 4, 2006, 12:18 PM   #6

Dyxum reports that there may be some compatibility issues with this lens and the new digital 5d/7d bodies. As of yet nobody has reviewed this lens to say yes or no. I would skip this lens unless you can verify that it works on your body.

http://www.dyxum.com/lenses/detail.asp?IDLens=250

but then again, here is a shot with that lens (in Nikon mount though)...

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/re...ssage=17229227
Maybe if the price is right..
Mercury694 is offline   Reply With Quote