Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Sony Alpha dSLR / Konica Minolta dSLR, Sony SLT

Old Mar 5, 2006, 8:36 PM   #1

I have already returned my 7D that I got in November 2005 to KM twice. After working correctly for a few shots, the autofocus starts overshooting and fails to lock in to a crisp focus. At this point the circle in the bottom left of the view finder flashes indicating that there is a focus problem and the shutter is locked. Initially, the problem is intermittent and then becomes permanent. Each time KM says they have returned the camera to factory specs.

Most recently, I got the camera back a week or so ago, checked it out and it was working. Saturday, I took it out on a shoot at a funeral and with in three shots the problem reappeared. The problem occurs with all of my KM lenses. The most recent issue was with my new KM 28-75 f/2.8 lens, so it is not a lens issue.

I have had no problems with my Maxxum 5D that I bought as a backup to the 7D.

When it works, the 7D is great. However, this is getting very old and expensive, since I have to pay the cost of returning the camera, with insurance, each time to get it temporarily "fixed". :sad:

Has any one else experienced this problem? Any suggestions?

Thanks.

Bob
rholloran is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 6, 2006, 9:15 AM   #2

after three (documented!?) tries at repair ------> LEMON LAW !!!
bernabeu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 6, 2006, 10:36 AM   #3

I agree, after 3 times both the retailer where you bought the body and KM should be willing (and probably legally bound to) replace it with a new body.
Mercury694 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 6, 2006, 11:16 AM   #4
Administrator

rholloran wrote:
Quote:
At this point the circle in the bottom left of the view finder flashes indicating that there is a focus problem and the shutter is locked. Initially, the problem is intermittent and then becomes permanent.
Bob:

Just a quick point..

By default, the shutter is not supposed to work if the camera can't lock focus.

There is a setting to override this safeguard (allowing the camera to take a photo without a focus lock). But, unless you've changed this setting, the camera isn't supposed to let you take a photo if it's not able to focus (so that you don't get out of focus images).

So, I'd make sure low light isn't the cause of your issue (not enough light/contrast to lock focus).

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 20, 2006, 11:35 AM   #5

Thanks. I understand that the camera is not supposed to take a picture if it cannot focus. The inability to focus occurs under all light, distance to subject and other shooting conditions.

Bob
rholloran is offline   Reply With Quote