Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Sony Alpha dSLR / Konica Minolta dSLR, Sony SLT

Old Mar 10, 2006, 10:01 AM   #21

Hopefully it serves you well. I buy and resell lenses quite regularly, and right now, it hardly seems that you can lose money on Maxxum mount lenses.
Mercury694 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 10, 2006, 11:52 AM   #22
Administrator

Mercury694 wrote:
Quote:
You can get a better lens than that Vivitar for the same price. (or less) The only Vivitar Series 1 lens I have heard anything good about is the 19-35- I hear that one is better than it's price would indicate, though build quality is still very low. .
One more... The Vivitar 100mm f/3.5 Macro AF lens gets very good reviews from KM DSLR users I've seen comment on it. It's not going to rival somthing like a Minolta 100mm f/2.8 Macro, but it appears to be a very good lens for the price it sells for.

But, I'd avoid most Vivitar lenses, unless I really needed something in a very bad way on a very tight budget, and I didn't have time to find anything better.
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 10, 2006, 9:44 PM   #23

It's kinda funny, I can critique this Vivitar 70-210, yet I just yesterday got a Sigma 18-50, a lens that is rated quite poor by most critics. It was a steal though and I have nothing below 28mm at the moment. I can make money ebaying it if I want (I hope) but I am really hoping it isn't as bad as I've heard, if just to get me that range till I can check out that new Tamron. (the local dealer doesn't have it yet and I prefer to buy new lenses locally)
Old Mar 11, 2006, 7:20 AM   #24
Administrator

Mercury694 wrote:
Quote:
It's kinda funny, I can critique this Vivitar 70-210, yet I just yesterday got a Sigma 18-50, a lens that is rated quite poor by most critics. It was a steal though and I have nothing below 28mm at the moment. I can make money ebaying it if I want (I hope) but I am really hoping it isn't as bad as I've heard, if just to get me that range till I can check out that new Tamron. (the local dealer doesn't have it yet and I prefer to buy new lenses locally)
The main complaint I've seen with the Sigma is that it backfocuses, even when other lenses work fine on the same camera. The f/2.8 version doesn't seem to have as much of an issue with it, but I've seen my share of complaints about both versions.

It could be the way it's chipped, and Sigma may have corrected it during production. Let us know how it works out.

Old Mar 11, 2006, 7:25 AM   #25
Administrator

P.S.

A quote from another thread:

Jacqueaux wrote:
Quote:
BE WARNED the Sigma 18-50/3.5.5.6 has a history of back focus problems on the 7D (and likely 5D). I tried FOUR different ones from B&H Photo and all were bad, and I have read numerous forum threads about folks having similar problems with it. I now have the KM 18-70 and it is, in my opinion, far better.
http://www.stevesforums.com/forums/v...c.php?id=82192
Old Mar 11, 2006, 7:58 AM   #26

Funny, that was the lens I was looking to get when I found this one. I did a search for "maxxum 18". I will definately let you know how it focuses when I get it. I try not to make too many compromises, but with that 1.5 multiplier I really wanted to get something a little wider than 28mm (42). 18mm at least gets me below 30mm in reality.

I'd really love to get my hands on that Tokina 12-24.
Old Mar 11, 2006, 8:03 AM   #27
Administrator

I've got 3 zooms so far that go wider than 28mm.

Minolta 24-85mm f/3.5-4.5

Minolta 18-70mm f/3.5-5.6 DT (kit lens)

Tamron 20-40mm f/2.7-3.5

The 24-85mm probably stays on the camera more than the rest right now (it's a very flexible zoom range for a walk around lens), and you can find these at bargain prices (around $100 if you shop around). It's sharper than I expected at wider apertures, too. I paid a bit more for mine to get one of the refurbished ones from Cameta with a warranty. But, a bit wider would be nice.

None of them are really "wide" after accounting for angle of view differences with the smaller sensor, and the ultrawides are a bit pricey.

Old Mar 11, 2006, 1:50 PM   #28

I have read that the 20-40 Tamron you have is a great lens. I've been keeping my eye out for one- saw one on ebay a couple weeks back, but I didn't get a chance to value it before it was sold. (I noticed it with only a few minutes left).

Anyhow, even with shipping I didn't pay $75 for this 18-50 lens, I can't see any way I can lose money on it if it doesn't work out. I can't even get a vivitar 19-35 for that price. (though Cameta is close- $69+ shipping) One thing about buying online that I hate. I get a lot more buyers remorse, I have time after every purchase to hear about how I could have spent less or got better. The prices are much better though. I don't think I have any lens that cost me much more than $100 and a couple of them are very good lenses.
Old Mar 11, 2006, 2:10 PM   #29
Administrator

Mercury694 wrote:
Quote:
I have read that the 20-40 Tamron you have is a great lens. I've been keeping my eye out for one- saw one on ebay a couple weeks back, but I didn't get a chance to value it before it was sold. (I noticed it with only a few minutes left).
Sometimes I try to get away with using it indoors, since it can maintain f/2.8 through about 28mm, gradually dropping off to f/3.5 on the long end (which is only a half stop down). But, I've pretty much started sticking with primes for that purpose (my 28mm f/2 stays on the camera more often when indoors now).

The Tamron 20-40mm has noticeable barrel and pincushion distortion (not as well corrected as some lenses). But, it's a fun lens to use (and it's a very nice looking lens, too).

A word of caution though... some users have reported AF problems with their copy. Mine seems to work fine. So, Tamron may have made some changes during production. But, I've also seen KM owners report that even the older ones worked fine. So, they seem to be a "mixed bag".

I picked mine up for only $174.95 brand new in the box from an Ebay vendor that was an authorized Tamron dealer (so it came with a 6 year warranty, too). He apparently had quite a few of them for sale at the time, using a "buy it now" price of $174.95 (which is less than you often see them for used).

I like it for a walk around lens sometimes at night, too (bright enough to use from streets, taking snapshots of restaurants, etc.).

Here are a few snapshots using it.

20mm, (full wide angle), f/2.8 (close enough to wide open), ISO 800, 1/30 second

This next one's been cropped. So, don't judge sharpness by it. But, you can get an idea of the color and contrast from it:

This is a straight from the camera jpeg at 35mm, f/3.5 (close enough to wide open), ISO 1600, 1/30 second, no flash. RAW would have been sharper (and I could have tweaked the White Balance). It was just a quick snapshot of my niece and her newest child while we were visiting.

I bring it along on fishing trips sometimes, too:

Fishing009, Fishing010, Fishing011 and Fishing014 in this album were taken with the Tamron 20-40mm (they're not in order in the album):

http://www.pbase.com/jcockfield/fishingwithkonica

Old Mar 13, 2006, 8:14 PM   #30

Cuzz, when you get a chance to use this lens, please let us know what you think. I have been pleasantly surprised many times before.