Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Sony Alpha dSLR / Konica Minolta dSLR, Sony SLT

Old Mar 8, 2006, 7:33 PM   #1

Can anyone advise me what these 3 lensesare worth they are in top notch shape?

Minolta Maxxum Tokina AT-X 400/5.6 AF SD Lens

Tamron SP 90mm F/2.5 Macro Nikon Mount

Minolta Maxxum SIGMA 28-200 f3.5-5.6 AF Zoom Lens
DJMic is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 8, 2006, 9:10 PM   #2
Administrator

Nope...

Your best bet is to see what they've been selling for in the same condition (look at completed listing on Ebay), or see if you can find the lenses in used conditon at vendors selling used gear.

You do know that the Tamron you're looking at won't work on a KM DSLR, right?

If you want it to work on a KM DSLR, you'll need a Minolta Autofocus Mount Lens (a.k.a., Minolta A-Mount, Minolta AF Mount, Maxxum, Dynax).

Also make sure you don't get a Minolta MC/MD mount lens (manual focus mount). That mount was replaced 21 years ago by the Maxxum/Dynax Lens mount when Minolta introduced the Maxxum 7000 in 1985.

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 8, 2006, 9:23 PM   #3

Well that's what I'm trying to do is find 2 more lenses to use with my KM 5D camera.

The one I have now is the KM AF DT 18-70

I'm looking for 1 to do close macro shots

And one for doing longer range shots like mud bog, or sea-doo shots on a lake.

Any suggestions I thought these 2 would be good:

Minolta Maxxum Tokina AT-X 400/5.6 AF SD Lens biding on ebay is at $200 U.S.
Minolta Maxxum Sigma 50mm f2.8 1:1 Macro AF Lens biding on ebay for this one is at $100 U.S.
So any suggestions if I would be happy with these or if they are crappy old lenses (( newbie )) still learning. THANKS!
Old Mar 8, 2006, 9:34 PM   #4
Administrator

I don't know anyone that has that Tokina (but, I haven't searched the forums to see). It rates a 2.8 at http://www.photodo.com

In the user peformance surveys at http://www.photozone.de, users found it "OK" at wide open apertures and Good stopped down.

As for the Sigma, it's well liked in most mounts. Some users may want something longer though (so they don't have to get as close to the subject for the same framing).

Old Mar 8, 2006, 9:42 PM   #5

What would you suggest for longer range?
Old Mar 8, 2006, 9:52 PM   #6
Administrator

Well, the Tamron SP 90mm f/2.8 Macro is popular (the newer version is a 1:1 Macro lens). The Minolta 100mm f/2.8 Macro is also popular. Sigma makes a 105mm f/2.8 Macro that's well liked

On the budget end, you can sometimes find a Vivitar 100mm f/3.5 Macro at a good price.

You can see some user opinions of Macro Lenses on a site specific to KM DSLR models here:

http://dyxum.com/lenses/results.asp?IDLensType=2

Old Mar 8, 2006, 10:03 PM   #7

How do you know the range on lenses?

Like 90mm or 100mm or 400 what do those mean?
Old Mar 8, 2006, 10:08 PM   #8
Administrator

Maybe I'm misunderstanding you.

When I say range, I usually mean focal range.

Range is a term I generally reserve for a zoom lens (with range describing wide to long in millimeters).

When you said longer range, I figured you meant longer focal length. When shooting closeups, if you have a 50mm lens with 1:1 Macro ability, and a 100mm lens with 1:1 Macro ability, they will both be able to fill the frame with a subject the size of the sensor or film.

But, with the longer lens (for example, 100mm vs. 50mm), you can fill the frame with the same size subject from twice as far away. That can come in handy so that you don't spook closer subjects, and it can work out better for lighting (so that you don't have to worry about casting shadows).

The lenses you're discussing are primes (fixed focal length versus zoom). So, they don't really have a range of focal lengths.

The higher the focal length, the more apparent magnification you'll have (narrower angle of view).

Old Mar 9, 2006, 1:08 AM   #9

I have allot more learning and understanding to go with this. And I'm sure there is always something new to learn with it.

I seem to be having a hard time getting general information on a good zoom lens and a good macro lens. Are there too many variables for anyone to suggest a good lens?

Zoom Lens = (Water Skiing Shots, Sea-Doo Shots, Mud Bog, Parade, Car Show)
This would be the outdoor long range action shots I would be taking.

Macro Lens = (Circuit Boards, Small up close pics of toys and such for eBay, Flowers)
This would be the indoor/outdoor shots I would be taking.

Now with that said is there not 2 generallygood lenses that would work great for me with my KM 5D
Old Mar 9, 2006, 8:40 AM   #10
Administrator

DJMic wrote:
Quote:
I seem to be having a hard time getting general information on a good zoom lens and a good macro lens. Are there too many variables for anyone to suggest a good lens?
There are many lenses that would be considered "good". The choices I mentioned above are popular choices in Macro Lenses.

A zoom lens means that you will have a range of focal lengths from wide to long. A zoom lens allows you to "zoom in" so that your subject occupies a greater percentage of the frame, or "zoom out" so that your subject occupies less of the frame.

The term zoom has nothing to do with focal range.

For example, that 400mm lens you're looking at is NOT a zoom lens. It's a fixed focal length lens. It has one angle of view. You can't zoom in or out with it. A fixed focal length lens is sometimes referred to as a Prime Lens.

If your subject occupies too much of the frame, you'd need to back up more (and sometimes you can only back up so much). If your subject occupies a smaller percentage of the frame with a fixed focal length lens, you'd need to move closer if you want the subject to occupy more of the frame.

A fixed focal length (non-zoom) lens, is usually smaller and lighter than a zoom lens with the same focal length included. Often, a non-zoom lens is sharper, too (because it's easer to build a lens with only one focal length versus a range of focal lengths).

For example, the kit lens is a zoom lens because it has a range of focal lengths available from wide to long (18-70mm). But, a 50mm lens would not be a zoom lens (because it only has one focal length available, 50mm).

Here is a handy online application on Canon's web site that may help you understand better. A shorter focal length will give you a wider angle of view (less apparent magnfication). A longer focal length will give you a narrower angle of view (more apparent magnifcation). You'll also see the angle of view shown in the graphics. Select different focal lengths from the bottom of the graphics to see how they compare.

http://consumer.usa.canon.com/app/ht...al_length.html

But, the angle of view shown is for a given focal length lens when used on a 35mm camera (that's what this application was designed for). You'd need to multiply the actual focal length by 1.5x to see how the angle of view looks on a DSLR (you'll have a narrower angle of view for any given focal length on a DSLR).