Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Sony Alpha dSLR / Konica Minolta dSLR, Sony SLT

Old Mar 14, 2006, 3:08 PM   #11
Administrator

I'd be careful with a +EV setting with Exposure Compensation. You don't want to blow highlights and the exposure looks pretty close. Check the exposure using the histogram to make sure you don't overexpose if you decide to tweak it from defaults.

To see camera settings, I used Opanda IExif

It lets you right click on an image in your browser and select a menu choice for viewing the EXIF. They have free plugins for both Internet Explorer and Firefox.

Many editors and image viewers can also see the EXIF. For example, you'll find it under Image, Information, EXIF using the free Irfanview if you want to download an image to see this info.

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 14, 2006, 3:30 PM   #12

I havent used picasa, but I cant imagine its better than PSE4 which you already have. Are you using unsharp mask and playing with the settings? I turn up the percentage to around 300% and adjust radius and threshold such that they dont cause too much distortion, then turn the amount back down to 60-130%

I usually set tungsten at +3, as it seems a bit cold to me otherwise.

lomitamike, I can see EXIF right in my browser (firefox) with a plugin. Otherwise I usually just right click in windows and look at the properties.
tmoreau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 14, 2006, 3:38 PM   #13

You guys are justtoo smart...and very helpful with mybasic questions, Thank you! I'm goingto have to print that one out and processsome of thatinfo,that was a lot, I love it.

I'm just reading up on shooting in RAW, I've never done it before, and I see that it says you have to process the images beforeyou can use them. It says the DiMAGEsoftware is required...Photoshop must do the trick too though, right?
Darlene2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 14, 2006, 3:54 PM   #14

yep, it will. You might want to download the adobe photoshop raw tools update here:

http://www.adobe.com/support/downloa...jsp?ftpID=3267

although I think elements 4 can do the 5D out of the box.

When you are just starting out and shooting shots were you dont need burst shooting its a good idea to use the Raw+Jpeg mode. You wil get twice the pics, and can use teh jpegs straight off and play with the RAW to see if you can acheive a better photo. If its not worth the time for you, then stick with jpegs (I would make sure your shooting them in the best quality mode though)
VAtechtigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 14, 2006, 5:06 PM   #15

set sharpness to +1

(not sure on 5D, i have 7D) set color to natural+

TEST THE AF WITH THE 50mm f1.7 and a yardstick at 45 degree angle at about 3' distance -> use center spot focus and f1.7 with tripod
bernabeu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 14, 2006, 6:46 PM   #16

I love reading this, as I also have yet to get into RAW files. I figure for now, I have enough on my plate learning the camera and its settings.

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"One thing I'd like to repeat, try a sharper lens. I have this Minolta lens, and it is not all that sharp to start with. (the macro feature however is the best I have, which is why I keep it) As was stated above, your 50mm is a lot sharper. (the ease of manufacturing a really good 50mm lens is the reason that virtually every SLR was packaged with one for decades.) A Minolta 35-70 f4 would also be a good choice, it is sharp throughout its range.
Mercury694 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 14, 2006, 9:27 PM   #17

Yup, I bought elements 4 from adobes website a month or so ago and it opens my 5D's raw files no problem. If you shoot raw+jpg you pick the jpg resolution still but it defaults to fine compression. That way you can just ignore the raw file when your in a hurry but tinker when you get a chance, and when you capture something either really good or something needing a fair bit of improvement (it gives you more leeway). I just bought a bigger memory card so that I have no excuse not to shoot in raw+jpg, since I want to do it more often.
tmoreau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 15, 2006, 7:15 AM   #18

@Darlene2:
software sharpening cannot be solution of your problem. While raw clearly yields sharper pictures, the downsized picture of that cute baby is so soft, that there must be something wrong with your camera. Many KM 5D/7Ds have a back focus or front focus problem. Hence every owner of such a camera should perform a focus test. I have now shot nearly 1000 pictures with my KM 7D and wrong autofocus is virtually the only source for blurred pictures. With one of my lenses, a Tamron 28-200 mm XR, I have the problem that after turning on the camera or changing the focal length the autofocus sometimes gets it wrong. Releasing the shutter button and pressing it once more, one then hears again the AF sound and then the focus is correct. However, if you have a back or front focus problem, then focusing twice won't help.
kassandro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 15, 2006, 7:32 AM   #19
Administrator

kassandro wrote:
Quote:
@While raw clearly yields sharper pictures, the downsized picture of that cute baby is so soft, that there must be something wrong with your camera.
Maybe, but that lenstests a bit soft at wide open apertures according to the MTF charts. For that matter, some of my lenses test sharper wide open than that one tests stopped down to f/8. ;-)

That's assuming that the lens is the Minolta 28-80mm f/3.5-5.6 (some third party lenses may be even softer wide open). The EXIF shows a max available aperture of f/4.5 at the focal length she was shooting at, and the shot was made at f/4.5.

So, trying to shoot wide open with it at shutter speeds of 1/100 second (which could also allow a bit of motion blurwith a moving child) would be my first suspect.

That lens does look better at 50mmthan it does on it's wide end..

But, it's not the one I'd reach for if I didn't want to sharpen my photos.

Old Mar 15, 2006, 7:55 AM   #20
Administrator

P.S.

User opinions of it are even lower than the MTF tests would imply:

If you check the Lens Performance Surveys at http://www.photozone.de for the 28-80mm f/3.5-5.6, users responding rated it as poor wide open on the long end, poor stopped down on the long end, poor wide open on the wide end and poor stopped down on thewide end.

It had an average overall optical quality rating of 0.72 (Very Poor), based on 39 users responding.

Out of every lens available in Minolta AF mount in the Lens Performance Surveys (including 3rd party lenses), only one lens got a lower rating. You'd have to try hard to find alowerquality lens.

I'd suggest she use the 50mm instead.