Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Sony Alpha dSLR / Konica Minolta dSLR, Sony SLT

Old Mar 15, 2006, 7:30 PM   #11

OK so I'm still back to the unknown if this used lens I purchased off ebay is any good or not.

I can manually zoom the lens and I can turn off lock shutter for no lens and it takes pictures.

But I don't like that idea at all.
DJMic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 15, 2006, 7:38 PM   #12
Administrator

Did the seller advertise it as being compatible with the 5D or 7D? If so, I'd see about a refund.

If not, I'd check it to see if it works on a film body.

If yes (lens really not defective), I'd call Sigma to see if they can rechip it for you if it's a compatibility issue as others have suggested it could be. If updates are available, they'll usually do it for return shipping costs.

Just because I haven't seen any reports of one not working yet, doesn't mean that yours may not be compatible (changes are made during production to lenses, and yours may be an early one with issue).

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 15, 2006, 7:39 PM   #13

But just because a lens is not ADI compatible doesn't make it incompatible with the 5d. All that means is that the Advanced Distance Integration feature on a flash will be disabled. I only have 1 ADI compatible lens, I've been using lenses with 5 contacts since I got my 7d.

Having 5 contacts does though mean that your lens is not one of the new ones that you should be able to assume are fully compatible with your 5d.( If it has 8 contacts then it was designed for the 5d/7d)

If you can return it to your Ebay seller, that may be the route to go. Even if it can be fixed, there is cost involved.
Mercury694 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 15, 2006, 7:54 PM   #14
Administrator

JimC wrote:
Quote:
Did the seller advertise it as being compatible with the 5D or 7D? If so, I'd see about a refund.

If not, I'd check it to see if it works on a film body.

If yes (lens really not defective), I'd call Sigma to see if they can rechip it for you if it's a compatibility issue as others have suggested it could be. If updates are available, they'll usually do it for return shipping costs.
Call these guys if you decide to keep it and see what they tell you about rechipping it if it turns out to be a compatibility issue:

Authorized Sigma Service Center

C.R.I.S.
250 N. 54th Street
Chandler, AZ 85226
e-mail: [email protected]
Tel: 480 940-1103
Fax: 480 940-1329
Store hours: 9:00 AM - 5 PM, M-F Pacific Standard time
Old Mar 15, 2006, 8:19 PM   #15

JimC wrote:
Quote:

Yes the seller said he used it on his 7D
Old Mar 15, 2006, 8:21 PM   #16
Administrator

Hmmm...

Odd (if he's telling the truth). You are turning the camera off when changing lenses to make sure you don't short anything out, right? It's possible the lens has been damaged since he used it.

Did you try reseating it again on the camera (I assume that's probably the first thing you tried)?

I'd try cleaning the contacts to make sure there's not a touch of oxidation on them, too.

Old Mar 16, 2006, 10:20 AM   #17

Should I still be able to take pictures with this camera doing everything manual.

Because I turned off the lens lock in the menu it now takes a picture.

I have to manually zoom is this normal or should this lens be an auto zoom?

It's really hard to stay focused.

Old Mar 16, 2006, 10:24 AM   #18
Administrator

DJMic wrote:
Quote:
Should I still be able to take pictures with this camera doing everything manual.

Because I turned off the lens lock in the menu it now takes a picture.

I have to manually zoom is this normal or should this lens be an auto zoom?

It's really hard to stay focused.
No, this is not normal behavior. The lens should Autofocus. It's either defective or not compatible.