Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Sony Alpha dSLR / Konica Minolta dSLR, Sony SLT

Old Mar 15, 2006, 2:15 PM   #1

I just received my Minolta Maxxum Sigma 50mm f2.8 1:1 Macro AF Lens for my camera that I ordered. But I'm not sure that it is working correctly.

It does not autofocus on it's own and when I go to take a picture the screen on my MK 5D says no lens attached.

Is this lens damaged?
DJMic is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 15, 2006, 2:41 PM   #2

This is a typical Sigma problem. Sigma unlike other lense makers doesn't pay royalties for the Minolta mount and other SLR mounts. Consequently there are frequently interface problems with new cameras. The most recent victim is the Nikon D200. In some cases Sigma provides a chip upgrade for incompatible lenses after a while. In other cases there is no such upgrade. Your lense is not listed in http://www.dyxum.com whence I am not optimistic about the availability of such an upgrade.
kassandro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 15, 2006, 3:53 PM   #3

But does this mean the lens is fine it just doesn't work with my KM 5D?
Old Mar 15, 2006, 4:14 PM   #4

Yes, I do suppose this. To be sure you should call the Sigma service. They know for sure whether the lense works on the KM 5D/7D and whether it can be fixed.
kassandro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 15, 2006, 4:15 PM   #5

You can test that theory if you have access to a Maxxum Film camera. Is this a new or used lens? ( You should be able to get a new one fixed for free.) If it is not new and you have no access to a maxxum film camera, perhaps a trip to the camera store is in order. That's all I can think of, try it out on a used Maxxum film body.

I just got my sigma 18-50, and it is fully functional on my 7d.

Mercury694 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 15, 2006, 5:18 PM   #6

My Camera is a "working" Maxxium 5D I have the AF DT 18-70 and it focuses and works fine and does not give any errors.

I'm wondering if this "used" lens I got on ebay is faulty.
Old Mar 15, 2006, 6:44 PM   #7

Right, but your "working" 5d is not a film Maxxum, it is a digital Maxxum. My suggestion is to try a film body torule out incompatibility with your 5d. The local camera guy should have several that you can try to mount your lens to.

Kassandro's option of calling Sigma is also good, provided they give you useable information. Sometimes you hear things like "it doesn't officially support your camera", which does not help you to know if the lens is faulty or just incompatible. If the lens can be rechipped, they'd be able to tell you that.
Mercury694 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 15, 2006, 7:45 PM   #8
Administrator

Is this a new lens? If so, it's most likely defective.

I've seen KM DSLR owners post photos taken with the Sigma 50mm f/2.8 EX Macro lens before. I just did a search on a few forums to make sure.

I've yet to see anyone mention a compatibilty problem with this particular Sigma lens. But, if it's an old version, anything is possible.

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 15, 2006, 8:16 PM   #9

The pin line up on the camera and lens is totaly different does this matter?

On the camera body there is 8 pins

On the Sigma lens there is 5 pads

Old Mar 15, 2006, 8:25 PM   #10
Administrator

No, that wouldn't have anything to do with it.

Older lenses that are not ADI (D) compatible only have 5 contacts.

Except for one lens, all of the lenses I have so far for my Maxxum 5D have 5 contacts (Minolta 28mm f/2, 50mm f/1.7, 100mm f/2, 135mm f/2.8; 35-70mm f/4, 24-85mm f/3.5-4.5; Tamron 20-40mm f/2.7-3.5, 35-105mm f/2.8 ).

Note that some lenses are available in older and newer (D) versions.

Newer ADI (D) lenses have 8 contacts. These lenses are designed to give the camera more precise focus distance information for flash exposure purposes.

The only Minolta lens I have that falls into this category is the 18-70mm f/3.5-5.6 DT Kit Lens.

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote