Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Sony Alpha dSLR / Konica Minolta dSLR, Sony SLT

Old Mar 19, 2006, 6:43 PM   #1

I've searched eBay and searched KEH for an idea of prices and options. I was just wondering what others opinion here is for a good 28 ~ 300 mm lens on my KM 5D?

Thanks for all the help in the past very helpful!

Price not a concern just a good lens!
DJMic is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 19, 2006, 7:10 PM   #2

I think the general consensus would be that there is no good lens with that range. It is over a 10x zoom, and will be a very compromised piece of glass. It is generally accepted that 3x is near the maximum zoom if you want decent quality.

Now, that doesn't mean that you can't find a compromise that your willing to accept. If you can only have one lens, and you need the range- you may need something like this. From the reviews I read, the Sigma AF 28-300mm f/3.5-6.3 Asph. DL (APS-C DSLR) is the best ofthe lot.
Mercury694 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 19, 2006, 7:32 PM   #3

Is this the one you are refering to?

http://cgi.ebay.com/Sigma-28-300-DG-...QQcmdZViewItem

Old Mar 19, 2006, 8:05 PM   #4

Well, that's a Canon version:

Quote:
[*]This Sigma DG 28-300 zoom is in Canon EOS EF mount, for use with Canon 35mm and digital EOS systems, such as Digital Rebel XT, Elan 7ne, Rebel T2, EOS20D, EOS1v HS, etc.
You'd need to get one for a Minolta AF mount, not a Canon mount. However, I'd second Mercury's view that you're not going to get quality images using a 28-300. You'd be far better off with a couple of lenses with smaller ranges. You said price wasn' t a concern, so you might consider getting 3-4 lenses to cover such an extreme range. You'll get better photos that way.

[/*]
fother is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 19, 2006, 8:12 PM   #5

So what does a person look at getting for far away shots?

I already have:

70~210
Macro 50mm
18~70
28~200
Old Mar 20, 2006, 1:50 AM   #6

Well with your current lenses you've got the below 200 range covered, so there's no need to get a lens that opens to 28 mm. For example, if you want to reach 300 mm, you might look at something more like a Minolta AF 100-300mm f/4.5-5.6 APO

While I have no personal experience of this lens, it does rate quite well on photozone. Of course, there are many other options you could look at there - you could browse and look at the comparative opinions posted on a list of lenses that might appeal to you ...

Have a look at this link - scroll to the bottom of the page and select "Minolta AF Lenses" and from there you can Browse the Lens database
fother is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 20, 2006, 7:53 AM   #7

Since you have up to 210mm covered, I also think you should start your new lens at or above 100mm. Perhaps a good 100-300, or even better if you can find a 200-400 or 200-500 lens. (at 500mm on the long end, you actually are equal to a 750mm on 35mm!) You can get a Minolta brand 100-300 zoom at KEH for under $150, but it is not the faster (APO) version. If price is really no object, I'd still look to get a little higher, perhaps that Tamron AF 200-500mm f/5-6.3 SP D (APS-C DSLR)i , it is very highly rated.

At this range, many will also try to steer you towards primes, conventional wisdom is that the more magnification, the more optical flaws in any zoom. While this is true to some extent- these days with advanced computer modeling, zooms are almost equal to primes in optical quality (assuming you are buying comparable products). The largest difference in a prime tele and a zoom tele will be aperture speed. (of course, who has use for a 500mm zoom indoors?)

In this long of a focal length, you will need to spend some $ to get a good lens. In older lenses, I would personally lean towards Minolta brand, their compatibility can be assumed.
Mercury694 is offline   Reply With Quote