Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Sony Alpha dSLR / Konica Minolta dSLR, Sony SLT

Old Mar 20, 2006, 2:37 PM   #1

I have a Minolta XE1 SLR camera that I purchased in 1979 it has a 50mm 1.4 lens and takes magnificent photograhs.

Will a modern day Minolta digital camera accept my lens and other lenses that also fit my camera?

Be glad of any help or advice?

Thanks...

John Denley

JohnDenley is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 20, 2006, 2:51 PM   #2
Administrator

Sorry, but the answer is No (at least not without an adapter).

Minolta abandoned the MC/MD manual focus lens mount 21 years ago in 1985 when they introduced the world's first Autofocus SLR (the Maxxum 7000).

Quote:
However, a relatively low profile Minolta rocked the entire photographic community in January 1985 with a new breed of AF camera which has a revolutionary concept that made it differed from other "mainstream industrial design" adopted by other makers. "New" because there were two major factors of which one of them has a great impact to the existing Minolta users - the Company decided to drop support for the older MC/MD mount and replaced with an fully electronic lens mount with no backward compatibility.

http://www.mir.com.my/rb/photography...um7k/index.htm

Any Minolta Autofocus Lens (a.k.a., Minolta AF, Maxxum, Dynax, Minolta A-Mount) will work on a KM DSLR.

Yes, you can find adapters for your old MC/MD mount lenses. But, they have some drawbacks.

In order to focus to infiinity with a KM DSLR, you usually need one with the equivalent of a 1.2x or 1.4x teleconveter built in (so, you'll lose a little light with one).

In addition, since the camera can't "talk" to the old lenses via an adapter, you can't control the aperture via the camera, and the camera won't know what it's set to. As a result, you'll need to meter stopped down to the desired aperture.

KM even has one (has a 2x TC built in, so you'd lose 2 stops of light with this one). B&H is out of stock though:

KM MD to Maxxum Lens Adapter at B&H

They also carry some third party adapters. But, it's my understanding you'll need one with at least a 1.2x to 1.4x TC built in to focus to infinity with Minolta Manual focus lenses on a KM DSLR model using one.

I've got a brother-in-law with an SRT-101 and a very nice lens collection. So, I've considered getting an adapter from time to time so I could borrow some of his lenses.

But, I've already started a collection of lenses fo my Maxxum 5D, so I'll probably just skip an adapter.

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 20, 2006, 3:12 PM   #3

Thank you so much for such a prompt reply to my query, it all looks as if I will have to start afresh with a new Digital SLR and retire my old lenses as great as they are.

Where do I start with a digital SLR any recomendations?

Many thanks..

John Denley

Wales UK
Old Mar 20, 2006, 3:32 PM   #4
Administrator

Well, since you're asking in our Konica Minolta DSLR forum, most members seeing this would probably suggest a Konica Minolta DSLR. ;-)

We have a Best Cameras List that you may want to look at. The first 3 categories on the page are for Digital SLR models.

Konica Minolta is exiting the camera business and you can find the Maxxum (Dynax) 7D at bargain prices while supplies last. If you want a little smaller model, look at the 5D.

Konica Minolta will still be making cameras for Sony as the OEM supplier (Sony is acquiring some of KM's assets and will be taking over warranty work for Konica Minolta DSLR models and launching DSLR models under the Sony brand name). But, you won't see any more Konica Minolta branded cameras.

Sony will be introducing models that can use the same Maxxum/Dynax lenses later this summer.

Old Mar 20, 2006, 3:51 PM   #5

Ah, the question of which DSLR to get... I have had a fairly straightforward method of buying SLR cameras in the past. It goes something like "Where is the new Minolta?" Today, I have a new problem. Minolta is not going to produce Cameras for the consumer market starting on April 1, 2006. They have sold their camera division to Sony the renowned creator of such cutting edge technologies as Betamax and Memorystick. I may have to rethink my purchases in the future due to this.

I do own the Minolta 7d, and I am happy with my purchase. If I was in your shoes I'd be looking into every major DSLR system. The 5d, and 7d do have the nice Anti Shake (image Stabilization) built into the camera body, but have a relatively low 6mp resolution. Canon's 20d, and Nikon's D200 seem nice to me, with their cheaper models having a cheap feel to me, especially the included "kit" lens. There is a plasticky grinding feel that definately should not be present in any lens. (has anyone else noticed this? It's horrifying to an old timer, lenses used to be smooth and any grinding feel was a sure sign it had been dropped.) I am happy with my 7d, but with the upgrade path leading to Sony, I am a bit concerned that I may soon own lenses that I won't be taking to my next camera. It's not so important for someone like me who is strictly amateur.
Mercury694 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 21, 2006, 5:37 AM   #6

Many thanks for your reply, I now have ideas where to start looking, sad that Minolta will be no more as a camera manufacturer, I have always thought of Sony for TV's & Videos..Thanks for the advice....

John Denley

Old Mar 21, 2006, 5:42 AM   #7

Many thanks for your help plenty of food for thought will start searching and reading the write ups.
Old Mar 21, 2006, 5:48 AM   #8
Administrator

I wouldn't worry about it. It's probably best for the long run, thanks to Sony's deep pockets.

Sony is one of the largest sensor suppliers in the world, and supplies sensors to most manufacturers for many of their non-DSLR models. If you use an Olympus, Konica-Minolta, Nikon, Pentax, or Canon non-DSLR camera, there's a good chance it's got a Sony sensor in it.

They also supply the sensors for Nikon, Pentax, and Konica-Minolta DSLR models, and by launching their own DSLR lineup, they don't have to worry about buying sensors from someone else, lowering their R&D cost for new products (while still supplementing revenue by selling sensors to the "other guys".

In addition, Sony is number 3 in market share in Digital Camera sales in the U.S. behind Kodak and Canon (and number 2 worldwide).

They've already announced their intent to capture 25% of the DSLR market, too. So, I wouldn't underestimate them, and they've already got a huge distribution network in place to market DSLR models.

I'm sure you'll be seeing new lenses announced, too. Third party suppliers are still announcing new lenses for KM models. For that matter, in just the past month, Tamron and Sigma have announced more lenses that will be available in Minolta mount.

I'm keeping an eye on the new Tamron 17-50mm f/2.8 to see how well it's received. It's designed only for DSLR models with sensors smaller than 35mm film. So, it's going to be smaller and lighter compared to a lens designed for 35mm models.

http://www.tamron.co.jp/en/news/rele...s0215_a16.html

I'm also keeping an eye on the Sigma 30mm f/1.4 EX DC that Sigma has decided to make available in Konica Minolta mount, for when I need something brighter than my Minolta 28mm f/2 provides in very low light clubs and restaurants with live music in the area (and the Sigma will be available at a much lower price point compared to a Minolta 35mm f/1.4G, too).

Minolta has manufactured 16 Million Lenses in Maxxum/Dynax mount since this mount was introduced in 1985.

That's a lot of lenses in the market (and that doesn't even included third party lenses in this lens mount from Tamron, Tokina, Sigma, Vivitar/Cosina, etc.).

Even Canon (which has been making DSLR models for much longer, with a huge number of users), has only manufactured 32 Million lenses in their EF mount.

So, even though we're seeing some short term "panic buying" in the used market impacting supply, what lens is going to be harder to find on the used market...many times the users of Canon DSLR models trying to pick between 32 Million lenses, or a small number of KM DSLR owners in comparison, trying to find deals with 16 Million lenses in the market?

Also, KM is not going out of business. They've just decided to stop selling cameras under the Konica Minolta brand name. They'll still be making cameras and lenses for Sony (as the OEM supplier).

That Sony will be selling cameras and lenses in Minolta mount is not a new thing. That was announced a LONG time before KM decided to stop selling cameras. So, models with a Sony brand name have been "in the works" for quite a while now, and they've announced their intent to launch them this summer.

Sony DSLR models using the Minolta Maxxum/Dynax mount have been in the works since last July.

http://www.steves-digicams.com/digin....html#sony_slr

We've already got a new Nikon models using Sony's 10 and 12 Megapixel sensors, and Pentax has announced a DSLR that will be 10MP (probably using a Sony CCD, as do their existing DSLR models).

I have no doubt that we'll be seeing higher resolution models from Sony that can use Minolta Maxxum Mount lenses, too (and I have zero doubt we'll be seeing some new lenses announced, too).

I got a KM DSLR myself (KM 5D), and I wouldn't trade it for another model for my needs.

A news story from last month:

Quote:
Sony Aims For Quarter Share of DSLR Market

Following Konica Minolta Holding Inc.'s announcement of withdrawal from the arena of the imaging business and an agreement to transfer Konica Minolta's assets related to R&D as well as manufacturing of DSLRs to Sony Corp., an official of Sony said on Jan. 20 it would aim for at least a quarter of share in the DSLR camera market in a few years, reports PEN News Weekly.

Sony commands the second-largest share of the digicam market after Canon, but its operations have been focused mainly on compact models, missing lucrative DSLRs and interchangeable lenses to warrant a push. Canon and Nikon dominate the DSLR market with a combined market share of nearly 90 percent.

Through acquisition of the right to use the Konica Minolta's Alpha/Maxxum mount system, access to manufacturing/designing technology and R&D/manufacturing assets (though Konica Minolta retains its patents), Sony plans a big push to high-end digicam market including DSLRs, to chip away at Canon's dominant market position, says PEN News Weekly.

Yutaka Nakagawa, president of Sony's digital imaging business group, told reporters that the company "will target for at least 20-25 percent of the world digicam market, and even a higher share as far as DSLRs are concerned, by making the most of its advantage," ie., its capability to make key devices such as CCDs, lenses and LCDs. He continued: "Because there are only a few players in the DSLR market, we would like to grab an even bigger market share. We wish to nurture our DSLR segment to a business that accounts for more than 20 percent of our total revenue from digicam sales in the near future."

Sony plans to roll out its first high-end DSLR model jointly developed with Konica Minolta this summer. The company plans to entrust manufacture of its DSLRs to Konica Minolta's Malaysian company through capital participation. A certain number of designers and engineers may be transferred from Konica Minolta to Sony, but details are not disclosed, says PEN News Weekly. (Source: Photo Marketing Association's Newsline International)