Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Sony Alpha dSLR / Konica Minolta dSLR, Sony SLT

Old Mar 21, 2006, 8:55 PM   #1

After only a few weeks use, it makes a long vibration on startup and the shutter won't release. (it feels like the AS seeking) I'm going to try to call KM tomorrow and see if I qualify for an emergency repair for service before April 1, as I have a job on March 31. I can always go with a film camera, but that doesn't seem right, since I bought this camera mainly so I could use it there. It hasn't been wet, and hasn't had any big impacts. Also if the AS is on, all the lights for it are blinking when the shutter release is pressed.

Here's what I've tried...

Taking out the battery, CF card, changing lenses, turning off the AS, setting the camera to M, camera reset in menu.

Any other ideas?
Mercury694 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 21, 2006, 9:59 PM   #2

forgive me if this is too obvious, but,

try 'snapping' a new lens into place with a quick and firm motion

(imo: the s/s lens mount is very 'stiff' and needs breaking in)

my 7d had the same (albeit intermitent) problem around 1 month old which cleared itself up with wear and tear
bernabeu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 21, 2006, 11:02 PM   #3

Thanks for the reply, Bernabeu- I have tried this with several lenses, unfortunately unsuccessful. I agree, the mount is fairly stiff.

I'll probably take it to the local camera shop tomorrow to see if this is common or at least understood down there.I am hoping it is something I have overlooked or can befixedfairly quickly.
Old Mar 21, 2006, 11:15 PM   #4

I do have some good news though, my eRetailer has graciously offered a replacement at no charge if I cannot solve the issue myself, and I am past the return periodon what amounts to a discontinued item.
Old Mar 21, 2006, 11:19 PM   #5

Do you mind saying which eRetailer? I always like supporting companies that go beyond the strict requirements of warranties...

Mercury694 wrote:
Quote:
I do have some good news though, my eRetailer has graciously offered a replacement at no charge if I cannot solve the issue myself, and I am past the return periodon what amounts to a discontinued item.
fother is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 22, 2006, 8:33 AM   #6

I don't mind mentioning them at all, in fact if all goes well I will be mentioning them in every post on every forum I visit for quite some time.

I bought the 7d (as a refurbished unit) on Ebay, from Cybershops. The price was great, I stumbled onto them when I couldn't find any new 7d (unless it was in one of those rediculous kits with the disposable accessories). They have a 7 day return, but I am well beyond that and they are still willing to replace it . This is great for me, as I have a shoot next friday, I think if I overnight it to them and upgrade his return shipping I can have it by Wed. The original purchase went very smooth, and due to his response to this so far, I expect the replacement will be the same.
Old Mar 22, 2006, 5:11 PM   #7

I sent it out overnight today, Cybershops will indeed 2 day air it to me, only charging me for the upgrade from their standard shipping. I should have it by Wed. I guess customer service isn't dead after all.

Now if I coulod just get Sears to replace their "lifetime warranty" boots that didn't make it 5 months........
Old Mar 22, 2006, 5:37 PM   #8

That IS good service! Hope it goes well and the replacement is trouble-free
fother is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 27, 2006, 6:01 PM   #9

Ok, I just wanted to follow up on what's above. Cybershops, my new favorite person not only replaced the 7d- they upgraded my shipping to 2day, and shipped it same day (before they hadthe old oneto even verify I didn't run it over with my car or drop it into a lake) after hearing that I needed it by Friday. I now have the new one, it works fine.

So to sum up their service, they replaced free of charge, after their replacement warranty had expired, unseen, a closeout camera shipped 2 day air from CA to MI. I am going to send Ebay a note on this customer service as soon as I figure out how. (it's not easy to email Ebay unless you're complaining about someone.)I can't think of a time I was more impressed personallywith the effort of any retailer.