Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Sony Alpha dSLR / Konica Minolta dSLR, Sony SLT

Old Mar 22, 2006, 4:46 AM   #1

I have almost finished reading an E-book by Gary L Friedman. It delves into whats in the manual , but explained in a way i can understand. I have nothing to do with this book and website....i just stumbled apon it last week and bought the book. I found it to be very very good and couldn't stop reading it.

this may have already been a thread subject and discussed some other time...sorry if thats the case

here is a link to 5D/7D Book / E-Book

http://friedmanarchivespress.easysto....net/store.asp
Brett is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 22, 2006, 8:25 AM   #2

I saw this book yesterday, and was considering it. If you were going to buy it again, would you buy the e-book, or the printed copy?
Mercury694 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 23, 2006, 12:01 AM   #3

I too would give an enthusiastic recommendation for Friedman's book on the KM DSLRs. While the KM manual is clear enough English, Friedman's book is more illuminating, with explanations that are more thorough and example photos to show the effect of various settings. For instance, KM's manual on night portrait mode states on page 40: "When used with a flash, the subject and background exposures are balanced". I glossed over that point, not thinking about the implications. Friedman provides two photos to show the effect. This caught my attention and made me interested in trying that mode. He also explains how to get the same effect on the 7D which doesn't have this feature.

Ebook vs hard copy. I like ebooks for information and this one is well layed-out, so that works for me. I also appreciate real books, particularly, if they are long or entertaining. Friedman is enthusiastic about KM DSLRs and his writing is friendly and practical. He keeps your interest. There are many nice photos in the book, but I'm not sure that the book would qualify as coffee table art. If I owned the hardcopy, I would leave it out and enjoy the convenience of being about to grab it and review various functions and get ideas for upcoming photography.

Scott
Magnum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 23, 2006, 12:43 AM   #4

I have a better understanding of my 5D after reading this book. i use my laptop as my photo album and if i am going away for more than a day, then i take my laptop. This means i'll have my e-book with me when ever i have my photo album (laptop) and camera with me. Then if i need to know something thats in the book i have it with me......i wouldn't think twice about buying it again....if i didn't have it...it's a great read. I would recomend it to anyone thats got a KM 5D/7D and a beginner like myself.

take the plunge and flash the cash....i did
Brett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 23, 2006, 7:23 AM   #5

I've seen this book reccommended several times and I'm pretty sure I'm about to the end of where the manual can get me. The decision of whether to get an e-book or hardcopy was really the biggest question. I think I'll get the hardcopy, it's around $75. I have kids who are always on the PC, playing games, bringing up cryptic windows, and generally doing damage. So if I consider the time that I won't have access to it, I think it is worth the $55 to me to have hard copy. Of course, I could get B&W for $30.... lol.

Thanks Brett and Magnum. I'll repost after I get the book.
Old Mar 23, 2006, 9:36 AM   #6

Mercury694 wrote:
Quote:
The decision of whether to get an e-book or hardcopy was really the biggest question. I think I'll get the hardcopy, it's around $75. I have kids who are always on the PC, playing games, bringing up cryptic windows, and generally doing damage. So if I consider the time that I won't have access to it, I think it is worth the $55 to me to have hard copy. Of course, I could get B&W for $30.... lol.

Thanks Brett and Magnum. I'll repost after I get the book.
Merc,

B&W vs Color. I've heard that about 15% of males arelike myself, red/green color blind, which means, that my eyes are not very sensitive to these colors. The main issue for me is that I need examples of good and bad facial coloring in photos to use as a reference for judging other photos... otherwise, the B&Wedition would be fine, depending on your personal preferences.

Re: Games on PC. I do my best to limit the PC as the game platform.Their drivers mess up existing applications,requiring*Dad* to troubleshoot. Online gaming is a wasteland. I've always regretted letting kids play online. Sure they start out at Cartoon Network, but once they finish those games their buddies have ideas of "exciting" gaming websites that are nasty. Go GameCube.

Scott
Old Mar 24, 2006, 6:31 AM   #7

I'd certainly recommend the book - I bought it (e-book) when it first came out - interstingly there have been a couple of updates, firstly a rewrite of the chapter on wireless flash, and just last week an extra appendix giving "cookery lessons" i.e. recommended camera settings for specific requirements - all supplied free as an after service - terrific value.

I keep it on the laptop, but also printed off a hardcopy - we have a colour laser at work that will do two sided printing so I think I got the best of both worlds
BartonFlyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 24, 2006, 12:06 PM   #8

The update feature is a definate plus for the Ebook. I'm not in any hurry, perhaps I should buy both.

Scott, your point on games is right on. We don't do online games of any sort. It's not so much the games that bother me as the chat. This is also why our PC resides in the living room, in plain sight.
Old Mar 24, 2006, 11:16 PM   #9

If you bought the ebook, you'dmore easily decide between the colorandb&whardcopyversions.

Re: Oversight of kidlets.Ditto on PC location.I suspect I'm fortunate that my boys don't use "chat". Surprise this week: I realized that parental controls of Norton Internet Security 2006 uninstalled itself - seriously! This is just the latest event in a series of hassles that friends and family have been having after updating to the 2006 version.Best of luck and vigilance.

Scott
Old Mar 25, 2006, 8:29 PM   #10

is it a printable version? can you print it once its downloaded?:?
AJ Gressette is offline   Reply With Quote