Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Sony Alpha dSLR / Konica Minolta dSLR, Sony SLT

Old Mar 28, 2006, 7:31 AM   #21

its gonna be in the college mailroom soon...... i cant wait. i had watch for student acceptance day sunday, and did a cruise committee presentation, and in all that saw a few other cameras, a nikon d70s (which i think the 5D is the competitor for, d50 doesnt have that DOF button) and a canon rebel xt (which feels like crap), dam the 5D feels like a proud workhorse. anyway, one of the guys had a 55-200 kit lens on the canon, and its not heavy at all!

how heavy do you think the lens will be if its all metal, the 5D already has a decent weight (i think middle of the pack of its class), i enjoy using my 5D onehanded, and the grip is fantastic for letting you use your fingers for buttons at the same time.
DorkUnderwater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 28, 2006, 7:33 AM   #22

Let's hope that you are right and that the lense works without tele converter.

Here I have a picture of my hous (full resolution, raw + RSE)
http://home.arcor.de/kassandro/Pics/KM18_70_F3.5.jpg
It shows how well the 18-70mm kit lense works at 18mm with aperture 3.5.
kassandro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 28, 2006, 8:10 AM   #23
Administrator

I can't find specs on it. But, it will heavier than the NIkkor 55-200mm for sure.

The lens you're getting is brighter, and that means larger and heavier. It's also designed to work with the larger image circle of a 35mm camera (which can be a good thing, since the center of a lens is usually sharper, and you'll be using the "sweet spot" due to your camera's smaller sensor).

The Nikkor is designed only for cameras with smaller sensors. So, it's smaller and lighter (and again, it's not as bright).

I found one user that has this Sigma lens working on a 5D without a TC. So, my vote goes for it working, and you getting a super deal for a bright zoom.

But, you never know with the older Sigmas. I've seen users report buying more than one copy to try and get one that works (some may work, and some may not, even within the exact same model lens, due to changes in production in how they're chipped).

Let us know and good luck!

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 28, 2006, 11:58 AM   #24

ok, but no matter what it will still click into the body right? im not exactly sure what this chip thing means except that it might prevent autofocus to work, or prevent it from attaching to the body.
Old Mar 28, 2006, 12:46 PM   #25
Administrator

If you get one that's not compatible, it will probably mount OK (although I have seem users report some older Sigma lenses getting stuck before, but that's pretty rare).

Your AF just wouldn't work right (and it may not recognize that you've got a lens on the camera). The Aperture control/reporting may not work right either.

When I say how a lens is chipped, we're referring to the firmware in the lens that controls how it communicates with the camera. Sigma reverse engineered Minolta's protocol, and didn't get it right sometimes for compatibility with newer models.. Sometimes, they can upgrade a lens to make it compatible (often for just the return shipping charges).

Hopefully, it will work just fine and you got a great bargain. But, if it doesn't work, give these guys a yell and see if they can rechip it or not:

Authorized Sigma Service Center

C.R.I.S.
250 N. 54th Street
Chandler, AZ 85226
e-mail: [email protected]
Tel: 480 940-1103
Fax: 480 940-1329
Store hours: 9:00 AM - 5 PM, M-F Pacific Standard time

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 28, 2006, 8:01 PM   #26

So, DorkUnderwater(how is that name working out with the ladies, by the way?), let us know...and the final answer is....drumroll...IT WORKS????
rduve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 28, 2006, 9:45 PM   #27

lol, my name is john. and dork also is an old word for p%nis which someone told me after i picked that name for deviantart, my journal site, and this. but i dont use it for everything lol. i dont know yet hasnt come in today.

im also considering the sigma 4.5 100-300 mm lens, and add a 2X teleconverter for that for wildlife shots, ill be doin those when i go by the danube river delta this summer. but why is it so cheap? i see it often for less than 100 dollars. is it because its a slow lens? it doesnt seem that slow for a 4.5 . wish i could afford the one thats constantly at f4, but its 800 dollars more...
Old Mar 28, 2006, 11:32 PM   #28

$800 more for about 1/3 of an f-stop faster? Not worth it. That Sigma 100-300 4.5 sounds indeed like a good deal. I have the Sigma 75-300 4.-5.6 and it works quite well. But 5.6 would not be that great in lower light conditions. So far so good. I also have a Panasonic FZ30 with a 3.7 aperture at its full 420m (35mm equivalent) focal length and Image stabilization. So, I think I got enough options for now for almost all circumstances.
Old Mar 29, 2006, 6:29 AM   #29

thats not that new panasonic camera coming out that looks like a matchbox is it? i have also realized p&s digicams have good lens, with f2.8, but its only one lens!
Old Mar 29, 2006, 11:58 AM   #30

No,the FZ30is not the new Panasonic DSLR that looks like a Leica. It is the 8 MP 12x zoom Panasonic.