Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Sony Alpha dSLR / Konica Minolta dSLR, Sony SLT

Old Mar 25, 2006, 12:29 AM   #1

I JUST purchased this on ebay, it was just listed. http://cgi.ebay.com/MINOLTA-MAXXUM-7...QQcmdZViewItem

or if you dont want to see it, a Sigma AF 75-200 1:2.8-3.5 zoom lens with clean glass, a few dings on the outer hood. for the insanely low price of 40 dollars + 7 shipping.

im just worred that for some reason a maxxum 35 mm lens wont fit a the 5D though i know that all maxxum lenses should fit the 5D.

DorkUnderwater is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 25, 2006, 8:12 AM   #2

a maxxum lens WILL work on the KM 5/7D

the sigma in question is made FOR maxxum and SHOULD work

(remember: you get what you pay for)
bernabeu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 25, 2006, 8:56 AM   #3
Administrator

From time to time, you do see compatibility problems reported with some of the older Sigmas. That's probably because they missed some things about the protocol between the camera and lens when they reverse engineered Minolta's lens mount.

Sometimes, if you get a Sigma lens with a compatibility problem, Sigma can "rechip" it for you (usually just for the shipping cost).

This lens appears to be relatively rare, since I can't find MTF charts for it, and I don't see it listed in user opinion surveys.

But, you'll be happy to know that I found some comments from a 5D owner about this lens (so it will probably work just fine on yours, as long as the way it's chipped is the same, too).

He said it's a little soft wide open (as are most lenses), but went on to say "it's more than sharp enough for me, and has very little CA"

Let us know how it works out for you.

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 25, 2006, 11:09 AM   #4

The chances are very slim that this lense will be recognised by your KM 5D. Optically this lense is quite a good one and those, whose serial number start with the digit 2 usually work with the KM DSLRs, but the others only work if you put a tele converter between camera and lense. 40$ would be a steal for such a lense, but from the statement "will work with any minolta maxxum 35mm camera" it is rather obvious that the seller knows very well that this lense doesn't work with the KM 5D/7D. Also Sigma doesn't upgrade the lense to digital.
Please keep us informed about further development.
kassandro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 26, 2006, 10:40 AM   #5

yeah, i guess i need a teleconverter, but that would make it better wouldnt it? in terms of longer range. dont know how much quality you lose, never used a teleconverter.

(im combining my posts rather than having 3 replies)

and i found a review here: http://www.dyxum.com/lenses/detail.asp?IDLens=248 dont know how credible that sources is though.

and also some sample photos from someone else with the teleconverter

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/re...p;changemode=1
Old Mar 26, 2006, 10:41 AM   #6

so, if the lens isnt compatible, does that mean just the autofocus doesnt work? and i can still use it to manually focus right (i feel thats an obvious yes, but not sure)?

also seems sigma doesnt do the contacts anymore, these lens are from '89 supposedly!!!
Old Mar 26, 2006, 2:01 PM   #7

DorkUnderwater wrote:
Quote:
so, if the lens isnt compatible, does that mean just the autofocus doesnt work? and i can still use it to manually focus right (i feel thats an obvious yes, but not sure)?

also seems sigma doesnt do the contacts anymore, these lens are from '89 supposedly!!!
I had three 1989 vintage Sigma lenses for my 9000AF, and the 100-300 would not work well with my 800Si, but the other two would. I sold them after getting Minolta lenses, but still have a 1995 vintage Sigma 50mm 2.81:1 Macro lens that I hope will work with the 5D also. If it doesn't work, you may well be able to make your money back and then some on eBay. There are plenty of people buying the Maxxum film cameras.
cope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 26, 2006, 2:24 PM   #8

The information you found is very similar to our experiences in Germany.
With a tele converter the autofocus certainly gets worse (the autofocus of Sigma lenses is inferior to that of genuine Minolta lenses anyway). Also you will loose quite a bit of the great optical quality of this lense. I recommend to use the Kenko 300 pro. It's a 1.4 tele converter. The lense should work even with a 2x tele converter, though. But may be, you are quite a lucky guy and the lense works with your KM 5D. Then you really made a great deal.
You can use the lense without a tele converter even if it's not recognised by the camera. You then have to enable release priority, use manual focus and you have to close the aperture before taking the shot. Altogether this is not convenient at all.
kassandro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 26, 2006, 5:47 PM   #9

yeah, well i have no problem taking time with my shots, and doing that ill learn to be a better photographer... ok im just making good excuses in case this isnt gonna work with 5D. the guy already sent the lens, so he didnt tell me what the serial is, just said it worked with his 5xi.
Old Mar 26, 2006, 7:53 PM   #10

I am pretty sure it WILL work. I have the Sigma 75-300 lens which seems to be from the same generation and looks almost identical to the one in the ebay auction. I think you got lucky at $39, that's a steal. Here is a shot I took with my Sigma. It is VERY good optically.

http://euromaninla.zoto.com/img/orig...b98fc5aae7.jpg

Rainer

http://euromaninla.zoto.com/galleries/
rduve is offline   Reply With Quote