Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Sony Alpha dSLR / Konica Minolta dSLR, Sony SLT

Old Apr 2, 2006, 1:46 PM   #1

There is a dark spot in the center of every picture of the sky that I take with my Maxxum 5D. FYI, I'm using the kit lens. The diameter of the spot increases at longer focal lengths. I've ensured that the lens is clean, and it is a new camera that has only had the lens removed twice for brief periods of time (so it is unlikely to be dust on the sensor).
Any ideas what could be causing this?
Attached Images

mindnumb is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 2, 2006, 9:09 PM   #2

Looks like a dust spot to me. Even if it isn't, that is the first problem to try to fix - you should get some practice. Get a squeze bulb blower, preferably without a brush. Try to blow the dust off without touching anything in the camera. Since you are not touching anything and not using high pressure air, you can do no harm.
BillDrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 3, 2006, 1:29 PM   #3

and it is a new camera that has only had the lens removed twice for brief periods of time (so it is unlikely to be dust on the sensor).

Not true, as I understand it. First, once is probably enough, but second that lens is not sealed so every time you zoom you are "pumping" air in and out of the lens barrel.

Dust really is unavoidable, and most of it is REALLY easy to clean off once you get over all the fears put into you by the manual and paranoid people.
tmoreau is offline   Reply With Quote