Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Sony Alpha dSLR / Konica Minolta dSLR, Sony SLT

Old Apr 5, 2006, 12:57 AM   #1

I have purchased some lenses on ebay (tokina 80-400 mm atx, older version minolta 28-85) and came across an auction that listed the lens (sigma 500mm apo f7) also as SONY http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...%3A1&rd=1,

well, i asked the guy if he knows anything about sony, and he said "Not much more than the rumors. Konica-Minolta had a second generation 7D that was supposedly almost ready for release when the Sony partnership was announced.
That camera was rumored to have Sony's 10.3MP sensor, in camera anti-shake, faster FPS, faster write speeds, and faster autofocus than the offerings from Canon or Nikon. Whether this will be the first sony DSLR is not clear, but my money says it is the most likely starting point.
I suspect we will hear from Sony in the next few weeks and the camera will be out in late summer or fall.
Sony has confirmed they will use the Minolta A-mount for lenses on their DLSR - which is why I suspect this lens will be functional on the Sony."

lol i know this is speculation, but I wonder if anyone else has heard this rumor about 2nd gen 7D.

and no word yet as to where he got his information from, but ill keep you posted. this stuff gets me tooooo excited.
DorkUnderwater is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 5, 2006, 5:39 PM   #2

These rumors have been around for quite some time.Even if they were true before Sony bought KM's camera operations, there is no reason to assume that they are still true. It may be quite some time before we know, I haven't yet seen any news on Sony's website pertaining to DSLR cameras. I'd love to see the 5d and 7d simply rebadged Sony and continue selling. I doubt you'll see any new DSLR released with less than a 10mp sensor, it's already hard to find a p&s with less than 4mp. I'd say that the specs you posted above are a minimum that you'll see from any replacement for the 7d, and low for any future 9d (which was also rumored) which I'd expect to come at orabove the 16mp CCD that Canon uses. Sony is serious about getting into the DSLR business, and their goal of 20-25% of market share is very lofty- they cannot afford to market products that have no real improvements on Canon and Nikon if they really intend to get there. They're going to have to market products that are dramatically better, or dramatically less expensive.

Mercury694 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 5, 2006, 5:55 PM   #3

Mercury694 wrote:
Quote:
They're going to have to market products that are dramatically better, or dramatically less expensive.
Quote:
I'm not sure just selling a product that is less expensive will get them where they want to be. People are paying thousands for Canon DSLRs, soSony needs to concentrate on better and not cheaper. There still is room for a "3D" type DSLR for people who won't spend $700 and up, and once they are over the learning curve on 5D/7D development, this could be a reality.
cope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 5, 2006, 6:35 PM   #4

apparently that info is from someone from inside KM. heres the rest of it : I gleaned that information from someone who used to post on that forum as KMSEA. For the last several years, KMSEA seemed to have inside information. He/she apparantly worked for KM and was generally very reliable.

The post forecasting the second generation 7D which commented on specs was made sometime in the fall of 2005. Then KM sold their camera business to SOny, and KMSEA went silent.

yeah its speculation, but things i think make more sense now, i still feel good about my 6 megapixels!

i think youre right about a 3D, the 5D has a lot more features i think than some of the other competeting DSLR's for instnace the D50 doesnt have a DOF preview button, the 3D could scratch that and compete with the D50 with a even lower pice maybe.

the cameras will have to be groundbreakingly good if they will compete on performance rather than on price, because honestly at those higher price ranges switching to a diff company and the lenses costs a lot of money, well thats what i think, i dont really know that much about it.
Old Apr 5, 2006, 10:32 PM   #5

Cope, I didn't mean that they'd put out inferior products, but if Sony builds a competitive camera for significantly less- they will gain market share. Same if they build better products for the same price.

The high end DSLR's will be the hardest sell. If you have $10,000 in Canon or Nikon accessories, it would take a pretty impressive improvement to influence your dollars towards Sony. Entry level purchasers don't have any lenses yet, they're a much easier market to break into.
Old Apr 6, 2006, 7:19 AM   #6

Mercury694 wrote:
Quote:
Cope, I didn't mean that they'd put out inferior products, but if Sony builds a competitive camera for significantly less- they will gain market share. Same if they build better products for the same price.

The high end DSLR's will be the hardest sell. If you have $10,000 in Canon or Nikon accessories, it would take a pretty impressive improvement to influence your dollars towards Sony. Entry level purchasers don't have any lenses yet, they're a much easier market to break into.
Agreed, I mis read your intentions. Sounds like we are in agreement on a 3D model.
cope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 6, 2006, 10:51 AM   #7

Mercury694 wrote:
Quote:
... Same if they build better products for the same price. ...
The problem is defining "better product". Sony is likely to use market research tools (focus groups, surveys, ...) to determine that instead of having real photographers saying what it is. As an example, a beginer is likely to feel that having more dials and buttons on the camera is a bad idea - it is confusing at first. Howerve those dials and buttons make setting up the camera much easier once you figure out that you want to change the ISO/aperature/shutter speed/white balance/... Since it is also cheaper to bury those choices in a LCD menu, I fear that is what they will do. Itcould have 87 easy to reachscene modes while it has a difficult touse manual mode.

But until we see what Sony comes up with, all this is pure guess work. Probably not worth getting a bunch of electrons excited about.
BillDrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 6, 2006, 11:52 AM   #8

You are right Bill, buthopefully having KM in the development process will help Sony cater to us a bit better than they otherwise would. Everything now is pure conjecture, but status quo will not get you 20% market share in a market dominated by 2 brands whose brand loyalty is very high. That is my main point. I have no idea what they will market, but I don'tthink any new DSLRfrom any manufacturer is now likely to come in under 10mp. People love to see those big mp counts, even if they are really inferior CCD's. Sony also will have the ability to hold back on wholesalesales of new CCD's for a time to maintain a certain exclusive high end market in their own bodies. KM could not do that since they were not manufacturing the CCD.

Of course on the other end, which my experience with Sony doesn't rule out- is a 3mp DSLR with "ziess" glass made in some sweatshop, some new "feature" on the lens' which makes them completely incompatible with every A mount made since 1985, the nefarious Memory Stick, all at a price way above the competition. :?
Old Apr 6, 2006, 1:51 PM   #9

i also saw that sony recently released a new 8 mb flash micro drive, gives me the hint that theyre maybe gonna try to package an "all in one" system, the memory along with the kit, and maybe even a flash. now i havent seen that happen with other brands, but im sure one of you guys might know if it has or not (and wether it was successful).