Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Sony Alpha dSLR / Konica Minolta dSLR, Sony SLT

Old Apr 6, 2006, 1:36 PM   #11
Administrator

I know of a couple of users that have the Metz 54MZ3 (or 4) and the KM 5600HS (D) and they seem to prefer the Metz.

For one thing, you don't have any preflash if you use a Metz MZ series strobe in Auto Mode (since it can use it's own built in sensor to measure reflected light during the exposure, terminating the flash when it sees enough light for your aperture and ISO speed).

I've only run into two people that "blink" consistently with a preflash in dim lighting. But, others have reported more problems with it. Some users have had no problems with "blinkers" It dos happen, though.

The 54MZ3 or 54MZ4 models also support Wireless and HSS with the correct SCA3302M5 (or newer M6) foot. Lower priced Metz models may not have all of the features like HSS (none do that I'm aware of).

So, you're getting the best of both system types (Auto mode if you want to eliminate the need for a preflash, as well as wireless and HSS compatibility if you're not using the strobe's auto mode).

Using the Auto mode on a 54MZ series strobe with a newer foot, the strobe is also aware of your camera settings (aperture and ISO speed), so you don't have to manually set the flash to match. But, it's my understanding that the Metz may not be as good as a properly calibrated KM flash for exposure accuracy if you're not using their Auto mode.

The 5600HS (D) will always use a preflash on a KM DSLR, even in ADI flash mode, unless you go to manual power settings, and the length of it's flash burst is based on what the camera saw from a short preflash (so exposure may not always be as consistent as desired).

Another advantage to a Metz system is that you can get a different foot for their MZ series models if you decide to change camera brands later (or use the same strobe with two different manufacturer's cameras as long as Metz has a foot available for your camera).

Right now, what Sony plans on using for a Flash System on their DSLR models is unknown. We know that they plan on their DSLR models being compatible with Maxxum lenses. But, we don't know if accessories like a KM Flash are going to work with newer models.

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 6, 2006, 1:48 PM   #12
Administrator

P.S.

It's not as powerful as the 54MZ3, but it's my understanding that the Metz 40MZ3 will do just about everything the 54MZ3 will do except for HSS, provided you use the correct SCA3302M5 foot with it.

IOW, it would be aware of your aperture and ISO speed when using it's Auto mode. I don't think the 32MZ series will work that way (you'd have to set the aperture range with them from what I've been able to determine).

Sometimes you see the 40MZ3 on the used market for a lot less compared to the 54MZ models. I think you need to be at the 40MZ3 level for everything to work correctly (not the 40MZ2) using the correct SCA3302M5 or M6 foot (unless you want to set the aperture range manually).

Old Apr 21, 2006, 7:45 AM   #13

There is a way to use a 3500xi on a 5D. Put both in wireless mode (but leave flash on camera) and they will work OK.
Martin Koopt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 28, 2006, 12:49 PM   #14

Hi Martin,

have you tested this in practice? What will work and what won't using this trick? I've read in many forums that 3500xi doesn't support any of the auto exposure modes of 5D, because it has neither pre-flash nor ADI capabilities.

Thank you for your help.
iaio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 28, 2006, 4:20 PM   #15
Administrator

Martin Koopt wrote:
Quote:
There is a way to use a 3500xi on a 5D. Put both in wireless mode (but leave flash on camera) and they will work OK.
I would be highly skeptical that it works.

Chances are, it's using a reduced power level when set to wireless mode, and it's not varying it at all when aperture, ISO speed or distance to subject changes.

Old Apr 28, 2006, 4:45 PM   #16

JimC wrote:
Quote:
Martin Koopt wrote:
Quote:

Chances are, it's using a reduced power level when set to wireless mode, and it's not varying it at all when aperture, ISO speed or distance to subject changes.
I tried the 5400HS wireless, and it completely washed out the subject, where the 5600HS allowed perfect flash coverage, even on a picture behind glass.
cope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23, 2006, 1:46 PM   #17

cope wrote:
Quote:
JimC wrote:
Quote:
Martin Koopt wrote:
Quote:

I tried the 5400HS wireless, and it completely washed out the subject, where the 5600HS allowed perfect flash coverage, even on a picture behind glass.

Jim, it's not working. I tried the 3500xi. Fires at full power all the time.
rduve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23, 2006, 1:57 PM   #18

Martin Koopt wrote:
Quote:

Martin, I tried this last night. It does NOT work. The flash fires at FULL power ALWAYS, completely washing out any subject, regardless if it's set for wireless or not. Are you getting different results?
rduve is offline   Reply With Quote