Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Sony Alpha dSLR / Konica Minolta dSLR, Sony SLT

Old Apr 6, 2006, 6:34 AM   #1

:idea:

Hi

i'm new Italian user. Sorry for my bad english but i need help!!.

I have an KM 5D Dynax and i want to link a flash Minolta 3200i.

I want to know if is possible, if the camera operate properly, without problems.

I know that the 3200i & 5D are not ADI compatible, but i want to use the flash in manual mode. Is this possible or i cause problems to my camera ??

Please help me.... i must do photosat PASQUA by night in religious event and i need flash.

Thanks all

:P
stefano_colonna is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 6, 2006, 7:57 AM   #2
Administrator

The flash will always fire at full power, and the KM 5D does not give you a way to control it.

So, you would need to try and stop down the aperture to smaller values for closer subjects (to try and keep from overexposing them), and open up the aperture for further subjects -- changing your aperture each time your distance to subject changed.

I don't think you'd want to try doing it that way. Exposure would be too difficult with the flash always firing at full power.

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 6, 2006, 9:09 AM   #3

Hi Jim,

I'm new here too. I don't have a 3200i. But I do have a 3500xi which I used to use on my Dynax 5. Will that flash work on my 5D?

Cheers!
donm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 6, 2006, 10:00 AM   #4
Administrator

Same problem. If you can get an older Minolta flash to fire on a 5D or 7D, it will always fire at full power.

The only shoe mount flashes that are fully compatible are the 2500 (D), 3600HS (D) and 5600HS (D). You don't get HSS with the 2500.

With film, you had off the film metering of the flash during the exposure. You don't get that with digital (because the sensors are too reflective to measure flash exposure from).

As a result, they needed to redesign the flash system, making units originally designed for film only incompatible with digital models.

Old Apr 6, 2006, 10:22 AM   #5

I was afraid of that. So if I use the 3500xi, I'll probably get a "deer caught in the headlights" look, right?

Given that the 5600HS(D) is so pricey, will I be better off buying a flash which I can set manually and just adjust my 5D's settings to suit?

If that's the case, what non-dedicated flash unit will give me my best bang-for-the-buck?
Old Apr 6, 2006, 10:42 AM   #6
Administrator

See this thread for some alternatives:

http://www.stevesforums.com/forums/v...mp;forum_id=84

I spent $48 on my flash system (including 2 strobes). See my 3rd post in the thread (Thu Mar 9th, 2006 03:07 pm).

The Sunpak 383 Super is one non-dedicated model you may want to look at in a brand new flash (you'd need a Minolta FS1100 adapter to give your 5D an ISO standard hotshoe).

Old Apr 6, 2006, 11:33 AM   #7

How about this? http://www.adorama.com/US%20%20%20%2...lta-Ttl,w-tl-8

The price looks good. Although I already have the FS1100 which I use with a Wein adapter to trigger strobes, it would be nice to have a flash that won't require the adapter for me to use it.
Old Apr 6, 2006, 11:46 AM   #8
Administrator

I could be mistaken, but I think the dedicated Sunpak models for Minolta are designed for older hotshoe designs used in X series Manual Focus Minolta Models.

So, you'd still need the FS1100.

Old Apr 6, 2006, 11:54 AM   #9
Administrator

Some of the Metz strobes can be used on a 5D with the correct foot (SCA adapter).

The Metz MZ series strobes are popular using the correct SCA style foot for Maxxum models.

One of our members here is using a Metz 32MZ series strobe with his 5D.

You can even get pretty good compatibilty with some of the higher priced Metz Models (for example, the 40MZ3) using a Metz SCA3302M5 foot. You lose HSS, but everything else would work. The 54MZ3 is another popular Metz strobe (even HSS works with this one if you use a Metz SCA3302M5 foot with it). There is also a newer M6 version of the foot out now.
Old Apr 6, 2006, 12:07 PM   #10

Jim, the Metz line seems as pricey as the KM flashes; are they worth the price? Seems like there would be a hassle getting the right module and so forth, and just buying the 5600HS might be simpler.
cope is offline   Reply With Quote