Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Sony Alpha dSLR / Konica Minolta dSLR, Sony SLT

Old Apr 11, 2006, 1:56 PM   #1

I am thinking of getting a K-M 5D one of these days, but one thing making me hesitate about getting a dSLR of any kind is the almost universal requirement that I use the viewfinder. (The Oly E-330 is an exception to this but it has other disadvantages.) I already know about the Minolta angle finder VN but so far I haven't been able to find a known reliable vendor that has any in stock. They can be found on eBay, but most are coming from China or other parts of the world where product counterfeiting is widely practiced.

Is there an alternative to the Minolta Angle Finder VN, such as a finder from another manufacturer that will fit? Or a useable "live preview" LCD screen attachment? Or a reliable place where I can get the Angle Finder VN?
scoundrel1728 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 11, 2006, 2:15 PM   #2

I saw several Minolta clones on eBay, all coming from Hong Kong. The seller had superb credentials, so I wouldn't worry about dealing with him.
cope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 12, 2006, 11:15 PM   #3

scoundrel1728 wrote:
Quote:
Is there an alternative to the Minolta Angle Finder VN, such as a finder from another manufacturer that will fit? Or a useable "live preview" LCD screen attachment?
Yes, and I'm looking at possibly getting the Zigview:

http://www.zigview.co.uk
Rambler358 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 14, 2006, 1:41 AM   #4

I don't know how practical it is, but the Olympus Vari-magni angle viewer fits on my 5D, and it fits even better if I put a little cardboard shim in it. You have to remove the rubber guard around the 5D viewfinder. I don't know what you want to do, but IMHO an angle viewer is really only good for digiscoping or for a really long telephoto, both of which would be on a tripod.
cgbraggjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 15, 2006, 5:05 AM   #5

Rambler358 wrote: If you get the Zigview would you go for the new "R" model ? - if so, I'd be really interested in your thoughts/experiences - thinking about getting one so as to give the 5D the intervalometer function of the 7D, and also for macro work & unattended bird photography [via the motion sensor]...

...at least when I've got some money again - LOL !

IDM
IanMiddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 15, 2006, 8:21 AM   #6

IanMiddy wrote:
Quote:
Rambler358 wrote:
Quote:

If you get the Zigview would you go for the new "R" model ? - if so, I'd be really interested in your thoughts/experiences - thinking about getting one so as to give the 5D the intervalometer function of the 7D, and also for macro work & unattended bird photography [via the motion sensor]...

...at least when I've got some money again - LOL !
Quote:
Ian,
Quote:
Adrian can't find you an original Minolta? The zigview looks nice, but the cost!!
Quote:

IDM
cope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 15, 2006, 6:55 PM   #7

kind of like an electronic mirror but much more expensive? j
jellero is offline   Reply With Quote