Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Sony Alpha dSLR / Konica Minolta dSLR, Sony SLT

Old Apr 12, 2006, 2:43 AM   #11

I have the Kingston Elite Pro 50x 2GB card, and I don't find it slow at all, but then again I have not shot any RAW's in burst mode, so I have not tested it at extreme conditions. I found a comparison where it scored quite well, not as fast as the San Disk Extreme 3, but well enough. Got it for $49 after rebate from Buy.com. Can't complain.

Note: After Jim scared me out of it, I put the Kingston up on ebay. If I can sell it at a profit, I'll get the San Disk Ultra II from Dell instead.
rduve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 12, 2006, 8:42 AM   #12
Administrator

rduve wrote:
Quote:
Note: After Jim scared me out of it, I put the Kingston up on ebay. If I can sell it at a profit, I'll get the San Disk Ultra II from Dell instead.
Don't do that if it's working OK. It would be too much trouble to sell it and it works, right?

It's just a lot slower than most other cards in a KM DSLR. You also want to make sure you'e got spare cards for when you're doing a lot of shooting.

You won't see any difference in speed between a slow card and a fast card, until the buffer is full (5 shots shooting in raw with a 5D). That's where a problem comes in if you are in a hurry with a slow card (sports, weddings, etc., shooting in raw or raw + jpeg) and don't want to wait on the camera when taking a lot of photos quickly. I like to stick with raw. So, it's more of a concern with me.

I see problems reported from time to time. I think that's probably just a coincidence as you see bad cards from any manufacturer. Sometimes all that's needed to fix one giving errors is an in camera format. But, here's one recent thread on someone with problems:

http://www.dyxum.com/dforum/forum_po...=3194&PN=1

Manufacturers also change component suppliers during manufacturer. So, one card may work better than another, depending on the edge stamp.

Kingston uses MLC (Mult-Level Cell) memory in their standard cards (which is cheaper to manufacturer compared to the faster SLC NAND memory). So, they are slower than most standard cards. Rob Galbraith ( http://www.robgalbraith.com ) noted that in his speed tests with the Kingston standard cards (the Kingston standard cards are the slowest cards he's ever tested in an Canon EOS-20D).

But, Kingston Elite Pro cards are relatively fast in most cameras, including the EOS-20D. The Elite Pro cards are just very slow in KM models (even slower than the Kingston Standard Cards, which are some of the slowest standard cards around).

I think the speed issue with the Elite Pro cards in KM models has something to do with a sleep mode Kingston implemented to make sure their cards didn't drain the battery in devices (as far as write speed times with them being much slower than other cards). That's speculation on my part. But, something is causing the issue since they can be very fast in some devices.

KM could probably figure it out and address it with a firmware upgrade if they wanted to. Canon had compatibility probems with them in the S1 IS and they came out with a firmware upgrade to fix it. AFAIK, Kodak has never addressed the issue with their DCS Pro Series DSLR models (you get errors trying to use an Elite Pro in them).

Here is KM's official compatibility list (the cards they've tested as being compatible):

Konica Minolta Compatibility List for the Maxxum 5D

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 12, 2006, 6:05 PM   #13

thanks for the info, Jim. If I can sell it for a profit, why not? If not, I'll keep it. How is that PQI 100x that Fry's is selling for $29 after rebate (1GB). Do you know?
Old Apr 12, 2006, 6:22 PM   #14
Administrator

rduve wrote:
Quote:
thanks for the info, Jim. If I can sell it for a profit, why not? If not, I'll keep it. How is that PQI 100x that Fry's is selling for $29 after rebate (1GB). Do you know?
Nope. I don't know and I haven't seen any KM DSLR owners report speeds for it.

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 16, 2006, 8:14 PM   #15

I bought a Transcend 80x 1GB for my 5D when I first bought it. I have since added a 2GB Ultra IImemory card, and I can't tell a speed difference between the two even with continuous shooting. I've never tested them side by side for speed, but they are both darn quick at emptying the buffer. This is good for theTranscend as the 2GB versions are for sale on newegg right now for about$57 I think. Great card for the money, I'd buy another one.
gipper51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 17, 2006, 7:01 PM   #16

I have been using a Fujifilm 1GB 40x card in my 5D and it does single shot work in raw without any problem, I can't say that I have ever used continious mode. The writing speed for one frame on this card is 10 seconds, compared to the previously given data of 4 seconds for the Sandisk Extreme III (133x I think) and 20 seconds for the Kingston Elite Pro? (50x). So there is definitely some sort of incompatability between the 5D and the Kingston card considering that a 50x card is twice as slow as a 40x card.

For my needs the 40x cards are fine and my local computer store is selling 2Gb 40x CF cards for £31.71 (about $55 US) which is very cheap, so I will be giving one of these cards a try (in store before buying).

p.s.

I came across a make of card called 'Peak' whose cards are advertised as 120x and are sold at very good prices. A check on the Kingston site shows that CF cards are rated on write speed. These Peak cards have a write speed of 8Mb/s and a read of 18Mb/s, so if you use the standard of write speed rating they actually come out as just over 50x cards (7.5 Mb/s = 50x), if you use (as they have obviously done) the read speed then the cards rate at 120x (18Mb/s = 120x).

So the message of this story is 'Caveat emptor' where buying CF cards is concerned.
Ikki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 17, 2006, 8:12 PM   #17

I ended up selling my Kingston Elite Pro card on ebay (made a couple of bucks extra) and I ordered the San Disk Ultra II. So, now my mind is at ease again....
Old Apr 17, 2006, 11:40 PM   #18

i bought the sandisk 3 extra super whatever 1 gb and it is so much faster than what i had. i need fast continuous capability for skiing and nature shots. do all your shots need to be raw or xfine? otherwise, 1 gb works for me plus the other little cards i have (166 in xfine mode). j
jellero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 20, 2006, 6:26 PM   #19

Ijust got the other week a 2Gb SanDisk Extreme III card for £83. I haven't used it "in the field yet" but testing it at home (highest jpeg setting) it certainly was impressive. Took the first dozen or so frames very quickley then 1 every 3/4-1 second thereafter and it just carried on at that speed until I took my finger off the shutter.
Juzzie is offline   Reply With Quote