Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Sony Alpha dSLR / Konica Minolta dSLR, Sony SLT

Old Apr 11, 2006, 8:29 PM   #1

I finally ordereda KM 5d. I have been agonizing over a camera choice for many months, hopefully I will get it before easter!!

Was looking on www.newegg.com for a compact flash card. Seems to be the best for prices! I didn't know there was so many choices.

Any suggestions on a specificbrand? I know some are faster than others. But, some don't have the write speed in the description. I was going to get two 512mb. I have a little 128mb for my canon which works great for that, but doesn't hold enough for this new one.

Thanks

beth

bethel02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 11, 2006, 8:31 PM   #2

Beth,

I bought a Lexar 2GB 80X from Amazon.com for mine, and I am pleased with it. The price was in the mid $80 range. Steve's recommendation is get a big CF for the DSLR, where the conventional wisdom was get several small cards for a regular digicam.
cope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 11, 2006, 8:38 PM   #3
Administrator

Some cards (like theKingston Elite Pro cards)can bevery slow in Konica Minolta models. Popular choices are the Sandisk Ultra II, Extreme III; and Lexar 80x cards.

You can find some CompactFlash card tests for the 5D here (note you can change the Cameraheading to "All" and see more cards, compared in both a 7D and 5D).

http://www.dyxum.com/reviews/cfcard/index.asp?cam=5D

The 5D is faster writing to media compared to the 7D (but you would get an idea of how other cards work in KM models ifyou look at the full list).

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 11, 2006, 8:52 PM   #4

"Some cards (like theKingston Elite Pro cards)can bevery slow in Konica Minolta models."

I just bought a Kingston 1GB compact flash card (Fry's part# 4672198) on sale for $50. This is to supplement the Sandisk Extreme III 1GB card ($105 and presumably the fastest gun in the west) I bought with the camera. Both have lifetime guarantees. Throught you might be interested in how fast these cards work. I loaded both to the top with RAW photos and dumped them to two computers using an inexpensive card reader, a Q-Stor hi-speed USB 2.0 33 in 1 card reader.
USB 2.0 interface on a desktop running XP, Pentium 4 running at 2.4 Ghz, 1280MB RAM: Sandisk downloaded in 2:23, Kingston in 2:45.
USB 1.0 interface on a laptop running WIN2000, Pentium 3 at 500Mhz, 386MB RAM: Sandisk downloaded in 16:18, Kingston in 16:22.

In other words, virtually no difference between the two cards.

I use a Maxxum 5D which seems to have about 45MB buffer, so I can shoot 5 RAW images (continuous fire) before the buffer fills. Time to empty the buffer into the cards: SanDisk 4 seconds, Kingston 20 seconds. That may be important to you. For me it makes no difference.
cgbraggjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 11, 2006, 9:18 PM   #5

Why the large card for slr? Just wondering.

Also, when you say "I use a Maxxum 5D which seems to have about 45MB buffer, so I can shoot 5 RAW images (continuous fire) before the buffer fills. Time to empty the buffer into the cards: SanDisk 4 seconds, Kingston 20 seconds. That may be important to you. For me it makes no difference"

you mean you have to wait 20 sec to take another picture until the buffer empties right??
I most likely will not be using continuous pictures. So, if I take one, do I have to wait 20 sec for the buffer to empty???
Old Apr 11, 2006, 9:36 PM   #6

you won't have that level of buffer problem taking single shots, but continuous mode is handy for kids' sports... either way most people find that a fast card is much easier to work with in the camera

a large card (1GB+) is a good idea, especially if you use RAW+JPG... personally I use a 2GB and carry a spare 1GB on longer trips/sessions (Both are Extreme IIIs, which I'd recommend highly)

fother is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 11, 2006, 9:40 PM   #7
Administrator

cgbraggjr wrote:
Quote:
I just bought a Kingston 1GB compact flash card (Fry's part# 4672198) on sale for $50
It's your money. But, I think that I'd have spent $44.99 there on Lexar 40x instead:

http://shop4.outpost.com/product/379...H:MAIN_RSLT_PG

Quote:
I use a Maxxum 5D which seems to have about 45MB buffer, so I can shoot 5 RAW images (continuous fire) before the buffer fills. Time to empty the buffer into the cards: SanDisk 4 seconds, Kingston 20 seconds. That may be important to you. For me it makes no difference.

I shoot in raw or raw+jpeg. So, if I'm taking lots of photos,I don't want to be caught waiting on the camera while shooting. Download times wouldn't make much difference to me.

The standard speed Kingston cards are actually faster than the Elite Pro Cards in KM models (both the Ax series and the 5D/7D).

Kingston Elite Pro cards won't work at all in some cameras (for example, the Kodak DCS Pro series DSLR models). There was also a compatiblity problem with the Canon S1 IS and the Kingston Elite Pro Cards making some of them extremely slow and virtuallyunusable for video (but, Canon released a firmware update that solved it). KM has never addressed the compatibility issues with them.

FWIW, even the Lexar 4x (4x not 40x) cards test faster than the KingstonElite Pro Cards in KM models (I've got a Lexar 4x Card that I use as a backup that can empty the 5D's buffer in 9.4 seconds). It tests much faster than it should (my guess is that Lexar is using the same controller and memory as they do in some of their faster labeled cards).

Edit/Added:

You can find a recent review ofa few cards here (and the test results for the Elite Pro are typical from what other KM owners report, with forums elsewhere full of complaints about them in KM DSLR and non-DSLR models). Some are worse than others (depending on the edge stamp).

http://www.vividoptic.com/Reviews/1gig.htm

If you insist on buying Kingston, I would go with the standard cards instead (although you can probably find a lot more bang for the buck from a write speed perspective with other brands). Some KM owners have reported that the standard speed Kingston cards can run 3 times as fastas the Elite Pro Cards in the Ax series models (anda similar pattern seems tobe emerging with the KM DSLR models, too).

Old Apr 11, 2006, 10:12 PM   #8

I did not want to spend an arm &a leg on the cards, I am not going away for a long period of time that I cannot send to the computer for weeks at a time..

So, I may get a fast 512mb card and a so-so 1gb card. I can use the fast one for the sports. The 1gb card I can use on vacation with the 512 as a back up? :idea:

IS that a good idea???:?
Old Apr 11, 2006, 10:20 PM   #9
Administrator

That's up to you. But, there's not a lot of difference in cost between a reasonably fast card and a slower card if you shop around. If you shoot in raw or raw+jpeg, 512mb is a relatively small card. ;-)

Dell has the Sandisk 1GB Ultra II cards for $53.59 delivered now:

Sandisk 1GB Ultra II at Dell

The 2GB cards are actually better from a "bang for the buck" perspective. You can get a 2GB Ultra II for $74.36 delivered.

Sandisk 2GB Ultra II at Dell

Old Apr 11, 2006, 11:54 PM   #10

As JimC says, it is "bang for the buck". Take a look at what it costs per megabyte and buy the cheapest. That seems to be a 2G card these days.

Unless you are going to shoot a lot of bursts, the write speed doesn't really matter that much. Unless you are seriously impatient, the read speed doesn't matter much either.

No matter how much memory you have, someday you will wish you had more.
BillDrew is offline   Reply With Quote