Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Sony Alpha dSLR / Konica Minolta dSLR, Sony SLT

Old Apr 12, 2006, 11:21 AM   #1

I have realized that the photos of i take with sky in them, at least half of them have the sky turn white, sometimes you can see clouds, but i took an intentional photo with the sky as backdrop but the sky turned white. how do you capture the detail of the sky? im thinkin its faster shutter speed but maybe theres something else too.
DorkUnderwater is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 12, 2006, 12:13 PM   #2
Administrator

One way:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...#goto_itemInfo

Another way:

http://www.luminous-landscape.com/tu...blending.shtml

A Polarizer can also help with skies.

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 12, 2006, 12:57 PM   #3
Administrator

P.S.

Keep an eye on the histogram and that can help with exposure (adjusting to keep as much highlight or shadow detail as desired, using the blinking highlights and shadows feature to help out, too).

You've got a limited range of bright to dark a camera can capture. So, you may need to compromise, exposing what is deemed to be more important correctly. Just use Exposure Compensation (+ or - EV Setting) to expose brighter or darker in most modes, depending on what you're trying to accomplish.

Shooting raw will also help dynamic range.

The Konica Minolta Maxxum 5D even outperforms the Canon EOS-1Ds Mark II for Dynamic Range shooting in raw and converting with Adobe Camera Raw (overexposing with both to achieve best DR), according to Dave Etchells results' with Imtest:

http://www.imaging-resource.com/PROD...M5DIMATEST.HTM

The EOS-1Ds Mark II is Canon's most expensive professional Digtal SLR (current street price of about $7000 if you shop around), with a sensor the size of 35mm film. You can get a KM 5D for less than 1/10 the cost of the Canon.

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 12, 2006, 3:15 PM   #4

Try the Zone Matching high-key in the ISO menu.
nooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 13, 2006, 12:20 PM   #5

I'll generally use exposure compensation to darken my shot by 1-2 stops if I want a detailed sky. If that makes the foreground too dark, use a graduated neutral density filter. Polarizers seem to help a lot to get more color out of the sky. If using a tripod you can take two shots and blend them in PS.

The range of light to dark from a bright sky to a shaded foreground is too much to take in. This should be considered when composing the shot, it might be better to try at a different time of day.
tmoreau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 16, 2006, 1:19 PM   #6

thanks for the help! i got some nice shots, and on that sunny day i generally lowed my exposure compensation and voila better shots!

JimC, by adobe raw you mean the adobe/embed. adobe option? i havent fiddled with that since it seems my photoshop version 7.0 seems to not like it!
DorkUnderwater is offline   Reply With Quote