Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Sony Alpha dSLR / Konica Minolta dSLR, Sony SLT

Old May 4, 2006, 12:33 PM   #91

Is this the right one?

http://cgi.ebay.com/Tamron-28-300mm-...QQcmdZViewItem

Here's someone bidding 209 on what looks like the same thing... unless I am missing something. It's new, but out of the box.I don't get why they would buy that one whenCametta is selling "Buy It Now" brand new much cheaper.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Tamron-AF28-300m...QQcmdZViewItem

Gozinta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4, 2006, 1:58 PM   #92

rduve wrote:
Quote:
I have not seen it for as low of a price anywhere but ebay. but there are some large, reputable sellers on ebay who might also have it available if you go to their sites.

Check out http://www.Cameta.com.They have it for $144395,but youstilll have to go through ebay to purchase.But if you want to avoid ebay for some reason, check out ww.Sigma4Less.com. They have it for $169.
Hi ranier,

I finally picked up a KM Maxxum but I got the 7D. It's probably more camera than I need, but it was a good deal through Adorama, which included the Minolta 28-75mm f/2.8 Lens for 949, which was only 50 dollars more than their body onlyprice.It's quitea bit more than I was gonna spend on the 5D, butsince the lens is selling for almost 379 to 400by itself it seemed like a good deal. When I made up my mind there also weren't a lot of 5Ds around from what I would consider reputable sources. Plenty of Ebayers looking to make a profit on a resale, but I didn't want to go that route. There seem to be some tradeoffs between the two models. The size of the camera doesn't feel muchbiggger, but I never did a side by side comparison. It'sergos are pretty good, but it is a bit heavier. It would have been nice to have somescene modes like the 5D, but not a big concern if I don't program the three custom settings. I'm not sure where to start on those, but I'll have to work at it.

I think I'm gonna get that Tamron zoom, which will help me get over the FZ30.
meanstreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4, 2006, 2:27 PM   #93

meanstreak wrote:
Quote:
I finally picked up a KM Maxxum but I got the 7D. It's probably more camera than I need, but it was a good deal through Adorama, which included the Minolta 28-75mm f/2.8 Lens for 949, which was only 50 dollars more than their body onlyprice.It's quitea bit more than I was gonna spend on the 5D, butsince the lens is selling for almost 379 to 400by itself it seemed like a good deal. When I made up my mind there also weren't a lot of 5Ds around from what I would consider reputable sources. Plenty of Ebayers looking to make a profit on a resale, but I didn't want to go that route. There seem to be some tradeoffs between the two models. The size of the camera doesn't feel muchbiggger, but I never did a side by side comparison. It'sergos are pretty good, but it is a bit heavier.
You got an excellent DSLR and lens, congrats! I think you'll be glad you have all the external controls via buttons and dials in the long run.
Rambler358 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4, 2006, 2:56 PM   #94

Rambler358 wrote:
Quote:
You got an excellent DSLR and lens, congrats! I think you'll be glad you have all the external controls via buttons and dials in the long run.
Does it really have that many more external controls? I thought they were pretty similiar.

meanstreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4, 2006, 3:11 PM   #95

meanstreak wrote:
Quote:
Does it really have that many more external controls? I thought they were pretty similiar.
Almost every function (except for system settings, and others) can be performed without having to delve into the menu system. The 5D has some external control, but no wayas comprehensive as the 7D's is.
Rambler358 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4, 2006, 3:58 PM   #96

Quote:

I think I'm gonna get that Tamron zoom, which will help me get over the FZ30.

Same here, I got over my FZ30 quickly with this lens and ofcourse the picture quality. I still have it but its had its longest rest ever.
royco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4, 2006, 4:29 PM   #97

Congrats, meanstreak. You got a nice piece of glass and technology there, and got a great price on it, considering you got that fast lens with it.
rduve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4, 2006, 7:56 PM   #98

rduve wrote:
Quote:
I have not seen it for as low of a price anywhere but ebay. but there are some large, reputable sellers on ebay who might also have it available if you go to their sites.

Check out http://www.Cameta.com.They have it for $144395,but youstilll have to go through ebay to purchase.But if you want to avoid ebay for some reason, check out ww.Sigma4Less.com. They have it for $169.
Any experiance with Cord Camera? They are 149 but they come out a little cheaper because no tax to NY. I'm probably better off with Cameta and It may show up quicker since I'm in NY. Do they have a fast turn around?

Gozinta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4, 2006, 9:36 PM   #99

Gozinta wrote:
Quote:
rduve wrote:
Quote:

I'm probably better off with Cameta and It may show up quicker since I'm in NY. Do they have a fast turn around?

Cameta ships promptly. They have a wierd set up for an eBay dealer; you win the auction and wait about 30 minutes and they send you an email. Then you call their toll free number and pay for the auction. I have had several enjoyable purchases and had to send a flash back, and got a full refund including shipping.
cope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 5, 2006, 12:10 AM   #100

I have bought from both, Cord and Cameta, and they are equally good, fast and reliable. Can't go wrong with either.
rduve is offline   Reply With Quote