Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Sony Alpha dSLR / Konica Minolta dSLR, Sony SLT

Old May 11, 2006, 1:31 PM   #111

cope wrote:
Quote:
JimC wrote:
Quote:
rduve wrote:
Quote:
Here is another shot from the Tamron 28-300XR for your enjoyment. Hopefully not too racy for Steves Digicams. Getting this lens was one of my best purchases ever and caused me to sell my Panasonic FZ30 for which I really have no use now that I have an all-in-one image stabilized ultra zoom DSLR.
You'd make a great salesperson for Tamron. ;-) Perhaps I should reconsider getting an all purpose lens like that (it's certainly inexpensive and you're getting good results with it). lol
He talked me into it already. I'm ordering from Cameta today. Then I have to decide whether or not to keep the Tamron70-300. At least I can make a side by side comparison of the two.

Regarding the price, remember that as he pointed out, Tamron has cut the price on these significantly. Some stores are still selling them for around $350-400. There are only two dealers I have found selling at anywhere near this price.

Maybe Tamron shouldpay me some commission...lol
rduve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11, 2006, 1:33 PM   #112

meanstreak wrote:
Quote:
rduve wrote:
Quote:
Oh, one more thing I love about the Tamron. It's zoom is adjusted by turning the lens, not pulling it out, therefore no sudden shifts when angling it downward,

I believe it can still shift forward. Isn't that why they put they zoom lock tab to keep it from shifting when angling downward? Of course that lock only works at the 28mm setting.

No, it can't shift forward. The lock is there to lock the zoom and to avoid accidentally turning the zoom ring.
Old May 11, 2006, 1:42 PM   #113

rduve wrote
Quote:
No, it can't shift forward. The lock is there to lock the zoom and to avoid accidentally turning the zoom ring.
Hmmm.... that's not what I read in the instructions. I'm almost positive they specifically mention it's to prevent the lens from shifting downward. I'll double check later. In any event it locks the lens from movement, although I'm sure why it is so important to lock the lens at 28mm. My Minolta lens zooms by turning and it doesn't have a lock. Actually, until you mentioned it, I thought all zooms extended by turning them. All of my SLR lenses were fixed focal length so Ihave no prior experiance with zooms.
meanstreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11, 2006, 1:53 PM   #114
Administrator

Zoom Creep can be a problem with lenses, even if they are not a push pull design (especially once they start getting some wear on them).

So, a lock switch is not a bad feature to have.

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11, 2006, 1:54 PM   #115

meanstreak wrote:
Quote:
rduve wrote
Quote:
In any event it locks the lens from movement, although I'm sure why it is so important to lock the lens at 28mm.
because this is the shortest length of the lens, and the lock is useful for storage. If you store any zoom in a snug compartment of your bag, it will zoom out when you remove the lens.
cope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11, 2006, 3:04 PM   #116

cope wrote:
Quote:
because this is the shortest length of the lens, and the lock is useful for storage. If you store any zoom in a snug compartment of your bag, it will zoom out when you remove the lens.
Aha..... make perfect sense. Of course, if they provided a lens case or a bag, I wouldn't need a lock.
meanstreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13, 2006, 8:39 AM   #117

hey guys! i got my Tamron 28-300 for my 5D
Gobs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13, 2006, 1:48 PM   #118

Hope you'll enjoy it, Gobs. Post some pics.
Old May 14, 2006, 7:14 AM   #119

Hi guys,

This is the picture i took with my lens:|, dont know the data as to the aperture and all coz i forgot to write them down..
This picture doesn't have many colors in it. I how hope it's acceptable enough. I'm open to criticisms hehehe:G
Attached Images

Old May 14, 2006, 7:20 AM   #120

And another one with a cozy look?? or maybe not. :G please fill free to comment on it so that i can learn to improve my shots. :-)
Attached Images