Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Sony Alpha dSLR / Konica Minolta dSLR, Sony SLT

Old May 25, 2006, 2:44 PM   #141

rduve wrote:
Quote:

On close up shots like you posted, wouldn't it be readily apparent in the viewfinder if you were out of focus?
meanstreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 25, 2006, 3:43 PM   #142

meanstreak wrote:
Quote:
rduve wrote:
Quote:

On close up shots like you posted, wouldn't it be readily apparent in the viewfinder if you were out of focus?
Probably not, it isn't apaprent until you comapre the shots.

Rainer, I asked at another forum and so far the word is that they seem to be OK with their 28-300.

cope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 25, 2006, 4:25 PM   #143

meanstreak wrote:
Quote:
rduve wrote:
Quote:
So, it's best to not go below 4.5 ever on the Tamron 28-300. Has anybody else different results?

The shot of the bicycle at 4.0 looks good

the shot of the bicycle was taken with an older Tamron 28-200!
rduve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 25, 2006, 4:36 PM   #144

cope wrote:
Quote:
meanstreak wrote:
Quote:
rduve wrote:
Quote:

Rainer, I asked at another forum and so far the word is that they seem to be OK with their 28-300.

It actually wasn't out of focus. I made sure the focus locked in and beeped every time before taking the shot. Don't forget these are crops, so the full sized image looks focused but very SOFT.

I am more than ok with the lens, too. But it is weak in those wider apertures and I'll avoid them. The lens is fine at the tele end where the widest aperture is 6.3.

Old May 25, 2006, 4:40 PM   #145

rduve wrote:
Quote:
cope wrote:
Quote:
meanstreak wrote:
Quote:
rduve wrote:
Quote:

It actually wasn't out of focus. I made sure the focus locked in and beeped every time before taking the shot. Don't forget these are crops, so the full sized image looks focused but very SOFT.

I am more than ok with the lens, too. But it is weak in those wider apertures and I'll avoid them. The lens is fine at the tele end where the widest aperture is 6.3.

Rainer, think about it, how often do you need 28mm for a close-up anyway? I think it is a great lens, especially for the Cameta/Cord prices. Thanks' for posting your pictures.
Old May 25, 2006, 4:50 PM   #146

It's not about close-up or far away. It is about the usability of the wider apertures at any distance. So, in low-light shots I would switch to a faster lens which produces sharper images at wide apertures. I always have my 50mm f1.7 lens with me, and I am thinking about adding a wider angle, faster lens as well. Other than that, I'll keep the Tamron on at all times. I am certainly very happy to have it, and from 3.5 to 4.5 is just about 1/2 an f-stop anyway. I just won't go below 4.5.

Rainer

http://euromaninla.zoto.com/galleries
Old May 25, 2006, 5:12 PM   #147

Rainer,

While I can't say it was terrible, I also found the image significantly softer at 28mm f/3.5 compared to 4.5. Thanks for sharing this with us, it's definitely good to know.

Catalin
cmoraru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 5, 2006, 8:36 PM   #148

Is the lens worth the money? I thinking about getting a second lens formy camera.
tango_28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 5, 2006, 10:34 PM   #149

tango_28 wrote:
Quote:
Is the lens worth the money? I thinking about getting a second lens formy camera.
I think it is well worth getting. Several people at the DPreview forum use it regularly.
Old Jun 5, 2006, 10:49 PM   #150

@ tango_28,

'worth the money' is a subjective question, not everyone will agree. This lens like every lens has its compromises. It ison the dim sideand as Rduve has posted a bit soft, especially at larger apertures. But then, it has extraordinary range and in smaller apertures is relatively sharp. It is also quite inexpensive, at @$150 you can have a good daylight single lens solution- almost a point and shoot's convenience in a DSLR. What are your expectations? I see very little to complain about for the range and the money. My biggest beef would be the composite mount, not the optical quality.

If you are looking for a truly outstanding lens optically, there is another thread on the 28-75 f2.8 D, it is on sale for $300 at Adorama but you get only 1/3 the range for twice the price. (and that is still a very good price)

I would say this lens is worth the money, some will surely disagree. Isn't that the way with all lenses, the cheap ones are considered 'junk' by some and the great ones are considered 'rediculously expensive' by some (my wife, in particular). I'll be buying this lens this week, it will be a great walkaround for the park with the kids.
Mercury694 is offline   Reply With Quote