Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Sony Alpha dSLR / Konica Minolta dSLR, Sony SLT

Old Jun 12, 2006, 1:08 AM   #161

Great colors. Is this straight out of the box or do you add Saturation either in the camera or with post processing? I noticed more saturated colors in your shots taken with the KM 28-75 f2.8 and thought the lens made the difference, but I notice similarly saturated colors in these shots.

By the way, seems like we entertain our kids in a similar manner. Here I am with Tanner yesterday.

:-)

Rainer

http://euromaninla.zoto.com/galleries
Attached Images

rduve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 12, 2006, 1:12 AM   #162

rduve wrote:
Quote:
Gorgeous!!! I still love this lens. It's going to be interesting which one I will keep mostly on my camera once I receive the KM28-75 f2.8 lens. I did the Adorama deal, by the way. Bought the 7D with the lens for $899and resold the body on ebay for $799 but with a used, cheap 28-100 3.5-5.6 lens. So, effectively I am getting the 28-75 2.8 lens for just over $100. I'll definitely run a few comparisons.

Rainer

PS: Here is a similar shot from last week. The focus is spot on with the Tamron 28-300 I find. It only hunts sometimes in low light.
Yeah.... I like this lens because of it's range. Amazing what people will pay on EBAY. You actually sold it before you got it? Walmart still has the 7Dfor 699 with the 18-70 kit lens. Real tempting price, butI still like the Adorama deal better. It works better for you, because you are not subject to NY tax. With Walmart I believe everyone gets charged tax.
meanstreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 12, 2006, 1:17 AM   #163

meanstreak wrote:
Quote:
rduve wrote:
Quote:
Gorgeous!!! I still love this lens. It's going to be interesting which one I will keep mostly on my camera once I receive the KM28-75 f2.8 lens. I did the Adorama deal, by the way. Bought the 7D with the lens for $899and resold the body on ebay for $799 but with a used, cheap 28-100 3.5-5.6 lens. So, effectively I am getting the 28-75 2.8 lens for just over $100. I'll definitely run a few comparisons.

Rainer

PS: Here is a similar shot from last week. The focus is spot on with the Tamron 28-300 I find. It only hunts sometimes in low light.
Quote:
Yeah.... I like this lens because of it's range. Amazing what people will pay on EBAY. You actually sold it before you got it? Walmart still has the 7Dfor 699 with the 18-70 kit lens. Real tempting price, butI still like the Adorama deal better. It works better for you, because you are not subject to NY tax. With Walmart I believe everyone gets charged tax.
Quote:

Yeah, I sold it before I got, but I paid for Express service and should have it by Wednesday so I can switch out the lens and send it via Priority Mail to my Buyer. Good deal! But I am going to stick with my 5D. I am used to it and I like the smaller size and lesser weight.

Rainer

Old Jun 12, 2006, 1:20 AM   #164

rduve wrote:
Quote:
Great colors. Is this straight out of the box or do you add Saturation either in the camera or with post processing? I noticed more saturated colors in your shots taken with the KM 28-75 f2.8 and thought the lens made the difference, but I notice similarly saturated colors in these shots.

By the way, seems like we entertain our kids in a similar manner. Here I am with Tanner yesterday.

Rainer

The 28-75 shots were straight out of the box, I never touched the color setting. I made the mistakewhen I was shooting a dance recital, I made the mistake of increasing sharpness 2 notches and shooting in ISO 1600 and 3200. The 1600 were not too bad, but the 3200 were much too grainey.

These that I took today with the Tamron I boosted the saturation and sharpness up 1 notch just to see how it would work. Do you think it's too much?
Old Jun 12, 2006, 1:23 AM   #165

meanstreak wrote:
Quote:
rduve wrote:
Quote:

Rainer

The 28-75 shots were straight out of the box, I never touched the color setting. I made the mistakewhen I was shooting a dance recital, I made the mistake of increasing sharpness 2 notches and shooting in ISO 1600 and 3200. The 1600 were not too bad, but the 3200 were much too grainey.

These that I took today with the Tamron I boosted the saturation and sharpness up 1 notch just to see how it would work. Do you think it's too much?

It's a matter of taste. Gives it more of a Consumer Digicam kinda look, like a Kodak. But nice for such shots. I was mainly interested if the settings were the same for both lenses, and you answered my question. Seems like the KM 28-75 f2.8 gives it a natural color boost since the colors were just as saturated without any adjustment.

Rainer

Old Jun 12, 2006, 1:25 AM   #166

rduve wrote:
Quote:

Yeah, I sold it before I got, but I paid for Express service and should have it by Wednesday so I can switch out the lens and send it via Priority Mail to my Buyer. Good deal! But I am going to stick with my 5D. I am used to it and I like the smaller size and lesser weight.

Nothing wrong with the 5D. It is basically the same camera with less buttons, but still has most of the same features. I was gonna pickup one at Circuit City for 475 with the kit lens but I can't find one. At a local one, the clerk wouldn't sell me the display, but I may go back and talk to the manager if it's still there. Of course, I'll hit them for a further price reduction. Sometimes they also run a coupon for 10% percent off open box items, but I haven't seen one lately. I think the 5Ds are going for less on Ebay too, since the anouncement of the Sony.

Old Jun 12, 2006, 1:32 AM   #167

rduve wrote:
Quote:

It's a matter of taste. Gives it more of a Consumer Digicam kinda look, like a Kodak. But nice for such shots. I was mainly interested if the settings were the same for both lenses, and you answered my question. Seems like the KM 28-75 f2.8 gives it a natural color boost since the colors were just as saturated without any adjustment.

I find the KM lens a little crisper, but I am happy with both. I wish they could make a lens with the character of the KM and range of the Tamron. If they could do that, I couldn't afford it.

Here's a good reason to shoot from a distance.

Old Jun 12, 2006, 1:37 AM   #168

In case you're wondering what happen to the tiger's color in this shot, it's what's known as a white tiger and on display at the NYCBronx Zoo.

Old Jun 12, 2006, 2:30 PM   #169

Yeah agreed. gotta compromise somewhere. As long as the tamron is only slightly less crisp than the KM 28-75, it is worth it.
Old Jun 16, 2006, 11:07 PM   #170

Here's some shots at 300mm