Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Sony Alpha dSLR / Konica Minolta dSLR, Sony SLT

Old Jun 16, 2006, 10:10 PM   #171

Here's one at 50MM

meanstreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 16, 2006, 11:04 PM   #172

I just received the KM 28-75 2.8, and while I love everything about it, especially its wide constant aperture, it is not clearly blowing away the Tamron 28-300. Color rendition is very similar, and the Tamron is only marginally less sharp, mostly the shots are indistinguishable. The Tamron will probably remain on my camera most of the time. My next purchase is the Sigma 10-20. My friend just got one. Seems awesome.

Rainer

http://euromaninla.zoto.com/galleries

PS: Any reader of this string should also check out the comparisons of the Tamron 28-300 and KM 28-75 f4.0 that I posted here: http://www.stevesforums.com/forums/v...=84&page=5

rduve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 27, 2006, 2:40 PM   #173

Rduve,Tamron owes you another paycheck.I finally decided to give this lens a shot (I figured even Cameta cannot have an infinite supply) and ordered it today. I hope it lives up to the hype.

I shot a hot air baloon event this weekend and was unhappy withmy 210mm max and the need to change lenses a lot under time constraint. ( 50-70 baloons launched in under 10 min) I refrained from using the 18-50 and used a 28-105 as my widest and was ok with losing the 10mm on the short end (though disappointed in the Sigma lens). I guess I can always get a KM 18-200 if I find one hyperzoom isn't good enough, lol.

Mercury694 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 27, 2006, 5:35 PM   #174

Mercury694 wrote:
Quote:
Rduve,Tamron owes you another paycheck.I finally decided to give this lens a shot (I figured even Cameta cannot have an infinite supply) and ordered it today. I hope it lives up to the hype.

I shot a hot air baloon event this weekend and was unhappy withmy 210mm max and the need to change lenses a lot under time constraint. ( 50-70 baloons launched in under 10 min) I refrained from using the 18-50 and used a 28-105 as my widest and was ok with losing the 10mm on the short end (though disappointed in the Sigma lens). I guess I can always get a KM 18-200 if I find one hyperzoom isn't good enough, lol.

Yeah, I wish they'd pay me. But I am doing all this for the sake of research. And all emotions aside this lens does an outstanding job. Let us know how you like it.

Personally, I want to get one of those ultra-wide lenses. The Sigma 10-20 or Tokina 12-24. Sony is coming out with its own. I'd have a small gap between the 24mm and 28mm, but I could live with that.

Rainer
rduve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 27, 2006, 6:13 PM   #175
Administrator

nooner wrote:
Quote:
Go to dpreview.com/Konica Minolta DSLR Talk forum and do a search for the Tamron 28-300 and you'll see lots of them. Look at the ones from Jim NAZ for some idea of how well it does.
Jim is a Master at post processing. He could make virtually any lens look great. ;-)

Yes, I've seen Jim's posts, and to be frank, color and contrast are more important to me than any resolution differences between lenses in most conditions I'd be concerned about, and color and contrast seem very good from this lens.

I still haven't "broken down" and bought an "ultra zoom" lens yet.

But, if you guys don't stop letting everyone know how much of a bargain this 28-300mm lens is, I may have to change my ways. :-)

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 27, 2006, 7:58 PM   #176

JimC wrote:
Quote:
nooner wrote:
Quote:
Go to dpreview.com/Konica Minolta DSLR Talk forum and do a search for the Tamron 28-300 and you'll see lots of them. Look at the ones from Jim NAZ for some idea of how well it does.
I still haven't "broken down" and bought an "ultra zoom" lens yet.

But, if you guys don't stop letting everyone know how much of a bargain this 28-300mm lens is, I may have to change my ways. :-)
Jim, You owe me one for the 24-85 I bought because you hawked it so well. In addition to JimNAZ, Canadian Club does pretty well with his 28-300 also.
cope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 28, 2006, 10:35 AM   #177
Administrator

cope wrote:
Quote:
Jim, You owe me one for the 24-85 I bought because you hawked it so well. In addition to JimNAZ, Canadian Club does pretty well with his 28-300 also.
I thought it would be the other way around (you'd owe me for mentioning it). :-)

The 24-85mm isis my favorite "walk around" zoom.

If you get a chance, takesome comparison photos of the same subjects in the same condiitions with the 28-300 and 24-8t using the same settingsand let us see how well they compare --especially at wider apertures.

Chances are, I won't get a 28-300mm. But, I wouldn't mind seeing how they compare (I might change my mind given how much everyone seems to like the 28-300mm). But, I'd hate to give up the 24mm on the wide end I have with the 24-85mm, not to mention that it's relatively bright (f/3.5-4.5) for a lens with it's size/weight/focal range.

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 28, 2006, 10:20 PM   #178

Come on Jim, everyone is doing it. Don't you wanna be cool?

I'm not sure in your shoes I'd buy a long zoom either. They're necessarily dim and don't really suit what I've seen of your style.Though I think we all wish we had a little more zoom at times...

I'm thinking of disneyland and the county fair.
Mercury694 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 29, 2006, 7:09 AM   #179

Mercury694 wrote:
Quote:
They're necessarily dim and don't really suit what I've seen of your style.Though I think we all wish we had a little more zoom at times...
He could use it on those Sunday morning fishing trips to zoom in on the competition.
cope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 29, 2006, 7:48 AM   #180

Well my 28-300 arrived last night (you guys made me do it! I blame all of you!!!). Initial impressions, easily a match for the kit lens... appears perhaps sharper and better contrast. Very nice lens, except for autofocus... noisy imprecise and hard to focus manually. Dosent work well near dusk. Otherwise I'm very impressed so far, I will be doing more side-by-side tests with the kit lens and my other lenses but I didnt expect this good performance. Autofocus seemed to work great before it started getting dim.
tmoreau is offline   Reply With Quote