Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Sony Alpha dSLR / Konica Minolta dSLR, Sony SLT

Old Jun 29, 2006, 8:47 AM   #181

tmoreau wrote:
Quote:
Well my 28-300 arrived last night (you guys made me do it! I blame all of you!!!). Initial impressions, easily a match for the kit lens... appears perhaps sharper and better contrast. Very nice lens, except for autofocus... noisy imprecise and hard to focus manually. Doesn't work well near dusk. Otherwise I'm very impressed so far, I will be doing more side-by-side tests with the kit lens and my other lenses but I didn't expect this good performance. Autofocus seemed to work great before it started getting dim.
Glad you like it. I can't speak experience how it compares to "the kit" lens,but if the kit lens isreally that close, I would consider it for the wide end, but I have to imagine the wide end of the kit lens is probably where it suffers the most. Of course, since I don't have one I can't be sure.

I haven't experienced anyreal autofocus issues with the Tamron, but in low light I run the KM 28-75 2.8, because the KM "likes it in the dark".

I look at the Tamron28-300 as agreat optionwhen you want to capture a lot of moments you would normally miss outdoors by having to swap lenses. What makes it really great is the amount of bang for the buck by going with the older model. I'm not saying I wouldn't buy a lens of it's caliberif I could only get it for the price of the new model, butgetting it delivered brand new for around 150 bucks make it virtually impossible to pass up.

meanstreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 29, 2006, 12:21 PM   #182

meanstreak wrote
Quote:
I haven't experienced anyreal autofocus issues with the Tamron, but in low light I run the KM 28-75 2.8, because the KM "likes it in the dark".

I look at the Tamron28-300 as agreat option when you want to capture a lot of moments you would normally miss outdoors by having to swap lenses. What makes it really great is the amount of bang for the buck by going with the older model. I'm not saying I wouldn't buy a lens of it's caliberif I could only get it for the price of the new model, butgetting it delivered brand new for around 150 bucks make it virtually impossible to pass up.
Yup. I always needed more reach than the kit lens for grab shots, and wanted better quality for landscapes (not that it was too shabby, mind you). I also have a tokina 17mm prime that Im gettin familiar with, I figure primes for landscapes and low light then the superzoom for wandering aimlessly. I dont think I would have considered this lens for its regular price... however if my initial impressions hold up I'll be a true convert.

Best shot from last night, handheld out my truck window at 300mm. The range is going to be fun to play with.

tmoreau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 29, 2006, 1:13 PM   #183

meanstreak wrote:
Quote:

The Tamron has naturally more trouble focusing in dim light because of its smaller maximum apertures, especially at the tele-end. But it focuses very well and fastin daylight.

Rainer

http://euromaninla.zoto.com/galleries
rduve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 14, 2006, 2:30 PM   #184

Here is the Tamron 28-300mm XR at 300mm (450mm with the multiplier)with the recently arrived 7D.Antishake surely helped this photo. The 7Dseem to focus more accurately than my 5D. Thus far, I am pleased with the 7D, but I still have a lot to learn about the 7D. It will be a working weekend getting familiar with this new camera.

Attached Images

mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 14, 2006, 10:37 PM   #185

mtclimber wrote:
Quote:
Here is the Tamron 28-300mm XR at 300mm (450mm with the multiplier)with the recently arrived 7D.Antishake surely helped this photo. The 7Dseem to focus more accurately than my 5D. Thus far, I am pleased with the 7D, but I still have a lot to learn about the 7D. It will be a working weekend getting familiar with this new camera.

Congrats! Hope you like all the external controls. You've probably heard about some the difference and advantages of each over the other. Some comments on what I have found so far, since I have both.

I find the 7D more comfortable to hold despite it's extra weight and the grip feels better ergonomically. I also think it feels better with heavier lenses. With the 5D I feel like I have to have a firmer grip on lenses (like the beercan)to keep it from tilting forward. I like the viewfinder better and LCD is sharper on the 7D. Strap eyelet placement is better on the 7D... on the 5D, it seems to get in the way of the controls but not a tragedy. I like having two thumbwheels to control aperture and shutter speed. I don't likehaving to enablezone matching to get to it on the7D and once you enable it then you have to disable it to get back to ISO, although I have yet to need that feature. I also find it silly that 3200ISO is hidden until you enable it. Changing ISO settings on the 5D is easier but I like the ISO button placement on the 7D.

It gets tricky switching off between them because they are similar as opposed to switching between brands where controls might be more unique. Because of the similarities, the learning curve to the 5D was easier for me thanmight have been normal for me since I had the 7D first. What's good about me having the 5D now is that I can look at the scene mode settings and adjust some of the custommemory settings on the 7Dto match the scene modes of the 5D and to also help me understand how to do it manually. If I had to get rid of one it would be tough, but if I had to chose a keeper it would be the 7D. The weight and the subtle compactness of the 5D is nice though and I would miss that. Ultimately, they take pretty much the same pictures, so someone buying either model doesn't have much too lose either way.

Old Jul 14, 2006, 11:32 PM   #186

Thanks, meanstreak-

That is an excellent analysis of the 7D, and I appreciate it. I have had a fun day getting to know this camera. Here is one of my shots from Day #1.

MT
Attached Images

Old Jul 30, 2006, 12:26 PM   #187

I had to dig this thread up, I was out shooting yesterday with my 24/2.8 50/1.7 Tamron 90mm macro, and Tamron 28-300 XR

The superzoom EASILY kept up with the image quality of the primes. I'm astounded. The downside is consistency, I did get some really bad shots with it too. About 15% were so soft that I had to delete them, seems to be an autofocus issue with this lens. Bokeh can be ugly at times (but not always). You give up big apertures and autofocus in questionable situations, plus its bigger and heavier than primes (though not bad for a zoom), BUT it can usually deliver the goods.

http://www.pbase.com/tmoreau/freeport
tmoreau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 30, 2006, 2:36 PM   #188

tmoreau-

I agree with you 100% The lens is not totally consistent, and seems to do better in different kinds of light. But for the price, the Tamron 28-300mm XR is hard to beat. I think enough of it that, I have one for my Nikon D-50, my Pentax DS and my KM 5D.

MT
Old Jul 31, 2006, 8:23 AM   #189

mtclimber wrote:
Quote:
tmoreau-

I agree with you 100% The lens is not totally consistent, and seems to do better in different kinds of light. But for the price, the Tamron 28-300mm XR is hard to beat. I think enough of it that, I have one for my Nikon D-50, my Pentax DS and my KM 5D.

MT
I also agree... it is hard to beat in range and price and I disagree with those who consider this lens junk. I took a lot ofpictures with it on Saturday during a fishing trip and was very happy with the results. The only problem I have found with this lens is when shooting wider than 4.5. Wider than 4.5 thelens gets soft, so I don't recommend it if the lighting isn't optimal.

Old Aug 1, 2006, 3:05 AM   #190

Here are some shots i took when i went to the zoo using the tamron 28-300

Gobs is offline   Reply With Quote