Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Sony Alpha dSLR / Konica Minolta dSLR, Sony SLT

Old Apr 13, 2006, 11:09 PM   #11

I searched E-Bay and yes, the Tamron 28-300mm lenses are there, but the are the older version of the the 28-300mm lens. The Tamron 28-300mm XR lens. They are not the newer Tamron 28-300mm XR Di II lenses, that are patterned after Tamron's very sucessful 28-75mm XR Di design.

MT
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 14, 2006, 12:32 AM   #12

Well, look at Kassandro's comments on this above. He thinks the old ones are better. He is German. Got that engineering mind, you know? So,I'll give it a shot. Will post some samples and comparisons for you guys.

rduve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 14, 2006, 12:44 AM   #13
Administrator

mtclimber wrote:
Quote:
I searched E-Bay and yes, the Tamron 28-300mm lenses are there, but the are the older version of the the 28-300mm lens. The Tamron 28-300mm XR lens. They are not the newer Tamron 28-300mm XR Di II lenses, that are patterned after Tamron's very sucessful 28-75mm XR Di design.
There are at least 4 versions of a Tamron 28-300mm AF lens.

From what I've been able to find out looking through specs, the 28-300mm XR version is virtually identical optically to the newer XR Di version except for the coatings.

Everything else seems to match up beteen them (size, weight, optical elements/groups, macro capability, number of aperture blades).

Here's the newest version:
http://www.tamron.com/lenses/prod/28300_di.asp

Here's the one they're discussing:
http://www.tamron.com/lenses/prod/a06.asp

Prior to these two, Tamron had other lenses with similar focal range and brightness (28-300mm f/3.5-6.3 as well as a 28-300mm f/3.8-6.3). But, the older versions were larger and heavier compared to the two newest ones (with XR designations) and used 72mm filters (versus 62mm for the two newer ones)..

None of them are anything to write home about optically from user reports I've seen (with a few exceptions). But, they are relatively small and light for their focal range.

Here's a review of the newest lens:

http://www.photo.net/equipment/tamro..._Di/index.html

Here's a review of the one they're discussing:

http://www.wlcastleman.com/equip/rev..._300/index.htm

Do the newer coatings make a big difference? I couldn't tell you.

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 14, 2006, 2:41 AM   #14

@mtclimber:
The most recent version of this lense is a Di and not a Di II lense. Di II means that the lense is only suitable for cameras with an APS-C sensor but not for full format cameras. The 18-200mm are all Di II lenses, but not the 28-300mm lenses.

As Jim already mentioned the only difference between the two XR lenses (and I would like to get only an XR lense) is the coating and the lense mount. After all what I have heart, the new Di coating is only there to protect you against reflections from the sensor and thus should have an impact only if you direct the camera against very strong light. As far as the lense mount is concerned I really prefer the older Tamron lenses, which have full metal mount. The newer ones have plastic lense mounts like the 18-70mm kit lense (also made by Tamron). Tamron claims that below the plastic of the lense mount there is metal, but this doesn't make sense to me, because if you wear off the plastic of the lense mount, it simply gets loose even if there is now metal. The new Di lense also has an 8 pin instead of a 5 pin chip, but this is hardly important, because you will rarely use this lense with a flash. In fact, this lense is primarily a good weather outdoor lense. Especially if you are walking in company with other people, it is usually not appreciated if you change the lense all the time. Because of the sensor dust problem, such a lense change has to be conducted with diligence and people often laugh about your dust phobia.

The two tests cited by Jim, especially the first one, exceed my expectations. But usually such tests are conducted with lenses donated by the manufacturer and not with lenses bought on the free market, which may be inferior.

EDIT: The previous generation Tamron lenses are primarily made in Japan, while the newer non-SP lenses are all made in China. For instance, my Tamron 28-200mm XR was still made in Japan.
kassandro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 14, 2006, 4:40 PM   #15

kassandro-

The Tamron 28-300mm XR Di just arrived and I immediately set up a test photo for you. The lens is mounted on my Nikon D-50 not my KM 5D. It was taken at 60mm at F 4.8 at 1/60th shutterspeed with a fill flash. The image is a 100% crop as well.

MT
Attached Images

Old Apr 14, 2006, 4:50 PM   #16

Thanks for posting that shot. And, by Lord, who is that handsome devil?

Looks pretty crisp to me. I just ordered my Tamron 28-300 XR and will post some images and compare them to the shootout I did with 6 other lenses recently. But it seems to be decent enough for a walk-around lens when you don't want to carry a bunch of extras.
Old Apr 14, 2006, 11:54 PM   #17

rduve-

That handsome devil is my husband totally consumed in his computer. Yes, I agree that theTamron 28-300mm XR Dilens produces pleasingly sharp images, and I bought it to be a walk around lens, so it looks like it will fill that bil quite nicely.

MT
Old Apr 15, 2006, 11:25 PM   #18

Thanks for the info. I have heard mixed reviews on the 300 range on the Tamron 28-300 XR. Everything from decent to HORRIBLE. Does anyone have test shots? If not, I'll post them when I get mine.
Old Apr 16, 2006, 12:11 PM   #19

rduve-

I will work on it and attempt to get one posted today.

MT
Old Apr 16, 2006, 1:46 PM   #20

Go to dpreview.com/Konica Minolta DSLR Talk forum and do a search for the Tamron 28-300 and you'll see lots of them. Look at the ones from Jim NAZ for some idea of how well it does.
nooner is offline   Reply With Quote