Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Sony Alpha dSLR / Konica Minolta dSLR, Sony SLT

Old Apr 16, 2006, 5:00 PM   #21

rduve-

Here are your sample images taken with my Nikon D-50 and the Tamron 28-300mm XR Di lens. The first image is at 28mm (the exposure was 1/80 at F 4.5 and this is a 100% crop) The second image is at 300mm (the exposure was 1/25 at F6.3 and this is a 100% crop) It was raining bucket here today, so these had to be taken inside.

MT

mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 16, 2006, 6:58 PM   #22

Thanks. How much of a crop are these? It is hard to judge without that info. Can you also resize the full image to see how it looks? thanks again.
rduve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 16, 2006, 8:38 PM   #23

Taken with a 5D and the same lenses you want, not Di.

http://www.pbase.com/dumont/tamron_28300_xr_ld_asp_inf

Misc.

http://search.pbase.com/search?q=tamron+28-300&c=sp

nooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 17, 2006, 1:20 AM   #24

Thanks, Nooner. that's exactly what I was looking for. They don't look to shabby. I think I'll behappy with it.
Old Apr 17, 2006, 7:47 AM   #25

@nooner:
The these pictures are great. Most are shot at 300mm with wide open aperture. Unfortunately they are also downsized. Thus a full evaluation is not possible. But my rule thumb, namely that for such lenses the last 20% of the zoom range is for emergency use only, may be false here.

@mtclimber:
The picture of your husband and the second one with the books are fine, but the last one with the Kodak Easyshare box is poor. Probably the distance was too short and these wide zooms are not macro lenses. They are optimised for a much wider distance. Thus all reviews based on close up shots are misleading.
As you have now become such a Nikon enthusiast, I have to say that especially the second picture shows a lot of noise (look at the checkered blue box). with what iso did you take this picture?

I have now bought myself such a lense (without Di coating) for 179€ on Ebay, much more expensive than Rainer's awesome US price, but way below the price of the Di lense.

kassandro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 17, 2006, 9:48 AM   #26

kassandro-

You are so correct, as always. Due to the heavy rain yesterday I was forced to take the test photos inside and the distance was very truncated indeed. The ISO, if I remember correctly, was 800 and that accounts for the noise and the lack of resolving power.

MT
Old Apr 17, 2006, 12:34 PM   #27

kassandro-

Here is an interesting comparison. Thefirst photo was taken with my KM 5D using a Tokina 24-200mm lens set to 105mm.Thesecond photo was taken with my Nikon D-50 using my 28-300mm XR Di lens set to 105mm.The Tamron 28-300mm XR Di lens, to my eyes, does a better job.

MT

Old Apr 17, 2006, 1:09 PM   #28

I would agree with you, and I think the difference is the lens and not the camera. I have heard that Tamron makes some KM lenses, and everyone I have talked to says the Tamron is the equal of KM lenses in most cases.
cope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 17, 2006, 1:50 PM   #29

mtclimber. The Tamron does a MUCH MUCH better job than the Tokina based on your comparison. I am really looking forward now to get it. I'd love to see some outdoor shots at 300 as well.
Old Apr 17, 2006, 2:59 PM   #30

MT,
the second picture is excellent - no doubt about it. But the Tokina picture is really too bad to be true. It has been made at 105mm, where a 24-200mm lense must deliver good results and the Tokina lense is certainly a good lense. I guess that simply something has gone wrong with the focus. The KM autofocus is not the best of its kind. Virtually all my blurred picture are due to wrong focus and not due to shake.

Before you leave for your cruise you should present us here some pictures from the amazing cliffy coast, where you live, made with your new Tamron lense and with different focal lengths.
kassandro is offline   Reply With Quote