Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Sony Alpha dSLR / Konica Minolta dSLR, Sony SLT

Old Apr 18, 2006, 10:20 PM   #41

Ok Rduve,

You've got me curious, like I need more glass. I tend to steer clear of any zoom over 3x, and this is over a 10x zoom- unthinkable. But then Mtclimber's shots don't look too scary and only one lens would be nice at Disneyworld during the daytime (this lensis unthinkable at night). I'd love to see some samples when you have the lens and the time, I just passed one up for about $50 when I come across this thread. Especially helpful would be shots that push the lens to its limit in ambient light.
Mercury694 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 19, 2006, 12:31 AM   #42

Where on earth did you see it for $50??? Man, what a steal. I will make sure to post pics once I have it. And for low light shots I still have my 50mm 1.7 and 70-210 2.8-4 lenses.

The 6.3 aperture at 300 in the Tamron 28-300 is really not that far off from any of the 70-300 lenses which have a maximum aperture of 5.6 at 300mm. That is less than 1/3 f-stop difference if you think about it.
rduve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 19, 2006, 12:51 AM   #43

rduve-

Purely as an experiment, when I was picking up a prescription this afternoon, I took this existing light photo of my friend Deanwith my Nikon D-50 equipped withmy Tamron 18-200mm XR Di II lens. The lighting was terrible because it was all overhead flourescent lighting. The exposuure was 1/200th at F 7.1 with the ISO set to 1600.

MT
Attached Images

mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 19, 2006, 12:55 AM   #44

Not too shabby. I figure I might as well ditch my Panasonic FZ30 when I get the Tamron 28-300. Although the Leica lens in the FZ30 isa lot faster at 12x zoom, the KM5D makes up for it in usability of higher ISO's. The 1600 shots look better than the FZ30's ISO 400 shots.
Old Apr 19, 2006, 8:58 AM   #45

Rduve,

I'm not saying this lens is particularly dimattele, but most 300mm lenses whether they be f4, 5.6 or 6.3 will not produce acceptable results in ambient light at night. (though withAS I may try a f4 lens at night ) I take bright primes and either feet-zoom or crop, I find that produces better results for me. If I can use a flash though, that changes things quite a bit. I've actually been trying to find a @200-400 or 500 zoom and I accept that even at those prices, I will not pack those lenses for low light use. I'm really leaning towards the Tamron 200-400 LDor Sigma 180-500 APO lens but I'm having a bit of a time deciding as I have held niether in my hands. Not out of the question is the Sigma 50-500, but for ~$1,000 I'd probably wait and see if they put in the HSM in Minolta mount. Anyhow, I'm getting off subject. I'm still curious, and the shots I've seen aren't scaring me off. The outside shots Mtclimber posted are fairly sharp, especially when I consider the resize and the fact that very few shots appear really sharp on my monitor. (I'm not sure why, but some I've posted that I thought looked fuzzy actually looked fabulous in print- even up to poster size.) The indoor ones aren't as great, but that can be attributed to high ISO more than lens I suspect as the lens should sharpen as the aperture shrinks. (but then we're to dimness again, lol)
Mercury694 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 19, 2006, 2:18 PM   #46

rduve-

The Tamron 28-300mm XR lens formy KM 5D arrived this morning. Here is the first sample photo and I will be doing more shots outside this afternoon.

MT
Attached Images

Old Apr 19, 2006, 2:39 PM   #47

That does not look too great. More like the shots you took with the Tokina. I hope the other samples will be more promising. Mine should arrive tomorrow.
Old Apr 19, 2006, 2:54 PM   #48

rduve-

Here is the outdoor sample. It was taken at 300mm, ISO 100, F 7.1 at 1/800. This image I really think validates what kassandro was saying: this is not a less than 10 feet snapshot kind of lens. It comes into it own with shot done at a distance.

MT

Attached Images

Old Apr 19, 2006, 2:55 PM   #49

I agree with Rainer (rduve). That picture isn't great at all. That seems to be more a camera than a lense issue.

Here I have some full resolution pics (raw + RSE) made with my 7D and the Tamron 28-200mm XR, which I hope to replace with the 28-300mm XR:

The last picture shows the lense from its worst side at 200mm.
kassandro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 19, 2006, 2:59 PM   #50

mtclimber wrote:
Quote:
rduve-

Here is the outdoor sample. It was taken at 300mm, ISO 100, F 7.1 at 1/800. This image I really think validates what kassandro was saying: this is not a less than 10 feet snapshot kind of lens. It comes into it own with shot done at a distance.

MT

Now THAT's a different story. Still something weird about the result you got in the shot of your husband. Could you try some more at that distance? I appreciate all your help, by the way. Tomorrow I will start posting my own samples.