Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Sony Alpha dSLR / Konica Minolta dSLR, Sony SLT

Old Apr 19, 2006, 3:00 PM   #51

MT,
my last message was about the picture of your husband. That really frightened us (the image quality, not your husband). The last picture with the white bird is just beautiful.
kassandro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 19, 2006, 3:07 PM   #52

kassandro wrote:
Quote:
MT,
my last message was about the picture of your husband. That really frightened us (the image quality, not your husband). The last picture with the white bird is just beautiful.

Exactly. Both Rainers agree. Was the one of your husband shot in low light at high ISO? Please send another one @75mm or less in different lighting. On the other hand, the one of the bird at 300 is outstanding. And that's where some said this lens is supposedly soft. Not at all from what I can see. On the other hand, most shots will be taken in the lower zoom range, and the lens simply can't be THAT bad as the one you took of your husband.

Rainer

http://euromaninla.zoto.com/galleries
rduve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 19, 2006, 3:25 PM   #53

Well Rainers, plural-

I just added another seagull photo, and if I get a chance I will re-shoot the close range photo. But at this point I am ignoring PowerPoint to get these photos posted. I have to finish a totally new DSLR workshop presentation for our contract in Europe that begins on Friday. We will be gone for 2 1/2 months so there is a lot that still has to get done. I'll try.

MT
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 19, 2006, 5:13 PM   #54
Administrator

The first photo mtclimber posted was shot with the aperture wide open at f/5, 75mm, ISO 100, 1/125 second, with flash.

The EXIF shows max aperture available as 4.99 for it at 75mm. So, it should be better stopped down from wide open.

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 19, 2006, 5:29 PM   #55

Here is another photo taken at 75mm with the Tamron 28-300 XR lens mounted on my KM 5D. The exposure was 1/500 at F6.3 and no flash was used. The distance from camera to subject was about 8 to10 feet. You will notice that it is better but I do not think quite as good as the shots at 300mm.

MT
Attached Images

Old Apr 19, 2006, 5:38 PM   #56

Mtclimber, you better get back to work. I will do my own testing when I get my lens. I do appreciate your postings. BTW, I do not refer myself in plural (not that egomanical), it just so happens that kasandro's name is also Rainer.

That last shot is not anything as sharp as I had hoped. I also noticed that youadded animage taken at 300mm. The first one (npw the second)you had posted was a lot sharper than this one. Different apertures?

Now, I am getting discouraged about the prospects of the KM5D with the Tamron 28-300 replacing my all-in-one ultra-zoom Panasonic FZ30.

In fact, if those shots are representative of what to expect, and if I have to step down further from an already small 6.3 maximum aperture to get any better image quality, I would probably not keep that lens at all. Tomorrow is the day when I will test mine....
Old Apr 19, 2006, 6:13 PM   #57

Yes, I do indeed know that both you and kassandro are named Rainer, that was what I was attempting to address in my plural salutation. I am sorry that you missed the subtlity.

Thanks for your praise about my co-operation in providing images. I have tried to do my best. I would love to see your images but will be gone on Friday, on a 2 1/2 month trip presenting workshops in Europe.

I wish you the best of luck with your soon to arrive Tamron 28-300mm XR lens.

MT
Old Apr 19, 2006, 8:28 PM   #58

Subtlety escapes us Germans. Veee arrre morrre strrrait to ze point! Enjoy your trip to Europe mtclimber. Maybe you get to climb some of those gorgeous Harz Mountains where the other Rainer (kassandro) lives. And make sure to take some pictures.
Old Apr 20, 2006, 12:40 AM   #59

mtclimber wrote:
Quote:
Here is an interesting comparison. Thefirst photo was taken with my KM 5D using a Tokina 24-200mm lens set to 105mm.Thesecond photo was taken with my Nikon D-50 using my 28-300mm XR Di lens set to 105mm.The Tamron 28-300mm XR Di lens, to my eyes, does a better job.
According to the EXIF info on those pictures, they were both taken with the D50. And perhaps the Tamron looks better because the first picture isn't correctly focused - and that's not a lense issue.
Rambler358 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 20, 2006, 12:47 AM   #60

mtclimber wrote:
Quote:
The third photo is a retake with my KM 5D and the Tokina 24-200mm lens. I retook the photo based on kassandro's comment about a possible mis-focus by the 5D.
And again this looks like a focus issue. The problem could very well be front or back focus issues. I have the Tokina 24-200 on my 7D, and have not had these focus issues. Here's a gallery taken with the 7D and Tokina AT-X 24-200:

http://www.pbase.com/rambler358/060219_sanpedro

I also have KM's 18-200 zoom, and while the extra 6mm of wide angle is nice compared to the Tokina's 24mm, the accuracy and focus speed of the KM 18-200 is just not up to par with the Tokina 24-200 - at least not on my 7D.
Rambler358 is offline   Reply With Quote