Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Sony Alpha dSLR / Konica Minolta dSLR, Sony SLT

Old Apr 21, 2006, 1:58 AM   #71

Tokina 70-210 4-5.6 @ 210 f11

Attached Images

rduve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 21, 2006, 2:00 AM   #72

Sigma 75-300 4.5-5.6 @300 f11

Attached Images

Old Apr 21, 2006, 2:23 AM   #73

Vivitar 70-210 2.8-4 @210mm f11

Conclusion: The Tamron 28-300 XR is a very capable, all-around, clear, sharp 28-210 zoom lens. I don't know how this lens can be so blatantly mislabeled and how the reviewers missed by how much the lens is off from being an actual 300 zoom. I understand a 5% margin of tolerance, but not 30%! On the other hand, all the talk about its softness and inferior optics, is just that - talk!

Will post more daylight shots tomorrow.
Attached Images

Old Apr 21, 2006, 2:27 AM   #74
Administrator

rduve wrote:
Quote:
Conclusion: The Tamron 28-300 XR is a very capable, all-around, clear, sharp 28-210 zoom lens.
It's an internal focus lens and the focal length will change with focus distance with many of the newer, more compact designs.

Try it focused closer to infinity.

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 21, 2006, 2:38 AM   #75

JimC wrote:
Quote:
rduve wrote:
Quote:
Conclusion: The Tamron 28-300 XR is a very capable, all-around, clear, sharp 28-210 zoom lens.
It's an internal focus lens and the focal length will change with focus distance with many of the newer, more compact designs.

Interesting, I will try that tomorrow. Maybe my conclusion was a little premature then. I'll compare it outdoors at infinity to my Sigma 75-300. If that is the case, I am going to be VERY happy with it.
Old Apr 21, 2006, 4:39 AM   #76

@rduve:
Yes, I completely agree with Jim. The loss of focal length at nearer distance of a lense with internal focusing is much larger than that of an ordinary lense. Lense producers should really write this into the lense manuals, because they are receiving such complaints all the time.
Rainer, fortunately the image quality of your pictures is about the same as MT's D50 indoor pictures.

@mtclimber:
Sarah, I did know from many of your earlier pictures, that you don't live at the east coast, because I only saw sundowns but never sunrises over the sea. On the other hand, it could have been one of these huge lakes in central USA. From the vegetation it is obvious that the climate is a lot more reasonable than in southern California. I guess it's way more north Oregon or Washington.
kassandro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 21, 2006, 8:32 AM   #77

rduve wrote:
Quote:
JimC wrote:
Quote:
rduve wrote:
Quote:

Interesting, I will try that tomorrow. Maybe my conclusion was a little premature then. I'll compare it outdoors at infinity to my Sigma 75-300. If that is the case, I am going to be VERY happy with it.
I agree. I saw this to a lesser extent between a 1989 vintage 28-70 Sigma and the 18-70 kit lens.
cope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 21, 2006, 9:01 AM   #78

rduve/Rainer-

I live in Washington State. That is why the landscape looks different and we have more than our share of rain. I am glad that you are pleased with the Tamron 28-300mm XR.

MT
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 22, 2006, 2:17 AM   #79

Ok, after my first daytime shots, I am very happy with the results. I have found the lens to be on par with any of the other ones I compared it to. And Jim was right, at the infinity setting the Tamron achieves the full 300mm focal length. I am just postinga couple of shots here. I have tons of comparison with different lenses, and the Tamron compares very well to all of them. I compared crops from Sigma, Minolta, Vivitar, Tokina lenses. The Tamron can hold its own with any of them, at any focal length and aperture. Microscopic analysis might find other results, but for all prctical intents and purposes, this is one heck of an all-around lens. If anyone is interested, I can post some of the crops, but youcan just take my word for it.

All of this is not scientific, and there is no detailed lab analysis, but I am trusting my eyes and my monitor. And some of mtclimber's sample shots were clearly inferior as visible to the naked eye. Probalby a focus issue within the camera.When I saw those itmade me concerned that I might have ordered an inferior piece of crap, but my concerns turned out to be unfounded based on my own tests. I can highly recommend the Tamron 28-300 XR. And for $150 it isa steal!!!

First one was taken at 60 mm f4.5, second one at 300mmf6.3. I compared these samples taken at the widest aperture to the same shots at f11, and their is no visible difference in sharpness.

The soft hedges in the foreground are only soft because of the small DoFat f4.5, not because of softness of the lens.

Attached Images

Old Apr 22, 2006, 2:24 AM   #80

Tamron 28-300 XR @300 f6.3

Attached Images