Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Sony Alpha dSLR / Konica Minolta dSLR, Sony SLT

Old Apr 22, 2006, 11:22 PM   #81

I received my Tamron 28-300mm XR on Friday. The optical quality is fairly good throughout the entire zoom range if you have a minimum distance of, say, 5 meters. I have never seen such a performance from a similar lense. Actually image quality is clearly better than the Tamron 28-200mm XR and the Tamron 70-300mm/4.0-5.6 LD. The lense stops down rather quickly, but it can be used wide open at the long end. Nevertheless this lense is for good light only, because the autofocus is quite poor at 300mm. I tried to take pictures of a black horse at 300mm and most of them were blurry. The pictures of a white horse were ok, though. If the distance is beyond, say, 100 meters the focus is correct, even if light is not so good.
To my surprise the lense came with an 8 pin chip, but also with a plastic lense mount. On the other hand, my 28-200mm XR has a 5 pin chip and a metal lense mount. Also Tamron changed the type of plastic. Though the build quality certainly isn't great, it is still better than that of the KM 18-70mm kit lense (probably also made by Tamron). My lense was made in Japan - not in China like 70-300mm lense.
Despite the poor autofocus I am quite enthusastic about this lense. It is really remarkable to have such a huge zoom range with quite satisfactory image quality in such a small light weight lense.

I will present full resolution pics later.
kassandro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 23, 2006, 12:53 AM   #82

Good to hear that you are as happy as me, Rainer. I think we scored.
rduve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 23, 2006, 7:18 AM   #83

kassandro wrote:
Quote:
To my surprise the lense came with an 8 pin chip, but also with a plastic lense mount. On the other hand, my 28-200mm XR has a 5 pin chip and a metal lense mount. Also Tamron changed the type of plastic. Though the build quality certainly isn't great, it is still better than that of the KM 18-70mm kit lense (probably also made by Tamron). My lense was made in Japan - not in China like 70-300mm lense.
Despite the poor autofocus I am quite enthusastic about this lense. It is really remarkable to have such a huge zoom range with quite satisfactory image quality in such a small light weight lense.

I will present full resolution pics later.
Quote:
Is the mount all plastic, or metal over plastic? The latter configuration is on the Di 70-300.
cope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 23, 2006, 9:15 AM   #84

It seems to be plastic over metal. It certainly is different from the all plastic lense mount of the 18-70mm Kit lense. However, I do not understand the logic behind this design. I you wear off the plastic layer, then the lense simply won't fit any more.
Old Apr 23, 2006, 12:27 PM   #85

kassandro wrote:
Quote:
It seems to be plastic over metal. It certainly is different from the all plastic lense mount of the 18-70mm Kit lense. However, I do not understand the logic behind this design. I you wear off the plastic layer, then the lense simply won't fit any more.
I saw a picture of the new Di 70-300, and it was definately metal over plastic. Strange that they would make one the other way around.
cope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 23, 2006, 2:45 PM   #86

@cope:
It would make a lot more sense to put the metal above the plastic and not the other way round. In that way the lense would have the elasticity of plastic and the robustness of metal.

Here I have some full resolution pictures, which I made the last two days under very different light and with focal lengths between 28 and 300mm:

There was no sharpening or any other postprocessing. Just Raw + RSE.
Old Apr 24, 2006, 12:44 AM   #87

Nice shots. Any haze in those pictures is due to the German weather, not a softness in the lens.

Old Apr 24, 2006, 1:07 AM   #88

I wouldn't say that there was any haze. Obviously the clear view was not as good as it could have been in winter, but it was quite good for spring. Don't forget, that half of the shots were taken in a distance of about one kilometer. Unfortunately there was a lot of smoke all over the town, because last saturday was one of the three days in a year, when people are allowed to incinerate various things.
Nevertheless I should have slightly raised the shadow contrast in RSE.
Old May 4, 2006, 7:37 AM   #89

So I take it, everyone is happy with their Tamron??? Where is the best place to get one besides EBay?
Gozinta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4, 2006, 11:08 AM   #90

I have not seen it for as low of a price anywhere but ebay. but there are some large, reputable sellers on ebay who might also have it available if you go to their sites.

Check out www.Cameta.com.They have it for $144395,but youstilll have to go through ebay to purchase.But if you want to avoid ebay for some reason, check out ww.Sigma4Less.com. They have it for $169.