Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Sony Alpha dSLR / Konica Minolta dSLR, Sony SLT

Old Apr 12, 2006, 8:23 PM   #1

I know that the 28-300 zoom lenses are frequently dismissed as optically inferior. However, I read some reviews that they are decent if not quite great. I am considering getting one as a walk-around lens if I don't feel like carrying a whole photo bag. I see that both the Tamron and Sigma can be obtained for about $140. Does anyone have any experience with either one of these or possibly test shots? Thanks for your help.
rduve is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 12, 2006, 10:42 PM   #2

Use the Tamron on a 5D

nooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 13, 2006, 1:18 AM   #3

140$ sounds like a very low price to me. Perhaps a used lense from an older series? The older lenses have heavier weight and a 72mm filter diameter, while the newer ones are considerably smaller and have a 62mm filter diameter. The newer ones seem to have slightly better optical quality as well. Here in Europe you pay at least 260€ for a new 28-300mm lense. I personally would prefer Tamron. With Sigma you always have the risk that a lense may become incompatible with a new camera. Furthermore, although Sigma lenses often look more sturdy than those of Tamron, there are a lot more quality problems. For instance, Sigma seems to be the only lense manufacturer which uses plastic cog wheels for the autofocus. Such lenses with plastic cog wheels may be easily ruined by a tele converter. There are quite a few such complaints in our german forum. I recently bought an old, defect 28-210mm Tokina zoom just for dismantling to see, what's going on inside such a lense. It turned out that this lense is identical to the cheap Cosina 28-210mm which is still sold today. Even that cheap lense had metal cog wheels. After removing a capsule, which jammed the lense mechanism, and reassembling the lense, it works quite well - not bad for a 10€ lense. I wonder, what this capsule was good for in the first place. After this emboldening success I will now buy more defect lenses.
kassandro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 13, 2006, 2:26 AM   #4

Rainer, Here in the US you can get the Tamron lens easily for $149. I think I saw it for $139 at an on-line store. Here is one of several auctions on ebay: http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-Tamron-AF-28...QQcmdZViewItem

Thanks for the tips, by the way. I will try the Tamron and see how it works.

Rainer

Old Apr 13, 2006, 2:49 AM   #5

Rainer,
that's avery good price and I would buy it immediately. It is not the most recent version of that lense, but I think it's the best version. The following happened here: Tamron released a new Di version of this lense and now dumps the inventory of the old lenses on Ebay. The Di version differs from the previous version only by the coating of the lense and instead of metal lense mount the new version has only a cheap plastic lense mount. However, it is important that you get the XR version as advertised. The same happened with the Tamron 28-200mm. I could buy the previous version new for 80€, when the Di version was released.
You can't expect that the 28-300mm is sharp over the entire zoom range, but it should outresolve the sensor between, say 28 and 230mm, if you stop down a little.
Here I have link to the best price in the Euro zone http://www.geizhals.at/deutschland/a117236.html. You also can see from the picture there that the new Di version looks absolutely the same like your slightly older version.

When I say that it outresolves the sensor, I only infer that it outresolves the sensor in the center, but certainly not in the corners.

Old Apr 13, 2006, 12:32 PM   #6

Thanks for the info. It cleared up some confusion I had. I wondered if the new models had an advantage. After your advise I ended up buying the lens.
Old Apr 13, 2006, 2:08 PM   #7

Rainer,
if you come back to Germany for a visit, you are wellcome to sell this lense to me before you return. You may also sell it on Ebay Germany and you would easily get 230€ for it, if the lense is in mint condition. It's a pitty that Tamron didn't dump these "old" lenses on our market. They did dump the 28-200mm XR and the 70-300mm/4.0-5.6 LD before they were replaced by an almost identical Di version, and I bought both for 156€ altogether.
The 28-300 is an ideal outdoor lense. I would use it in combination with my Coolpix 8400 for the wide angle needs. It would be a very light weight combination.
Old Apr 13, 2006, 5:13 PM   #8

I'll actually be in Germany from Mid July to early August. Want me to pick one up for you? Or can't you make a bid on it from Germany? The same vendor has a few more listed. Most places ship internationally now.
Old Apr 13, 2006, 5:49 PM   #9

I haven't yet bought anything online from outside the Euro zone, i.e. Austria, France, the Netherlands. If you buy a lense in the US, you have to pay 6% custom duty upfront, then you have enormous shipping costs and on top of it you have to pay 16% VAT even for shipping and the custom duty. That doesn't make sense to me. Within the Euro zone, it is very easy. There are no custom duties and double taxation within the EU. For instance, if I buy something online in France I pay less than the French, because their VAT is even higher.
Nevertheless I would like to get the lense. I'll send you a PM tomorrow morning for all the details. I go to bed now.
Old Apr 13, 2006, 7:52 PM   #10

Ok, good night. Talk to you tomorrow. I can pick one up for you and bring it. I definitely want to visit the Harz Mountains anyway during my trip.

Rainer