Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Sony Alpha dSLR / Konica Minolta dSLR, Sony SLT

Old Apr 13, 2006, 12:28 PM   #1

I'm shopping for a new tripod, and will be going with the Arca-swiss style quick release. I'm thinking about the really right stuff lever release clamp, but might stick with a thumb screw version.

Does anybody know of a camera body plate that works well with the 5D? Really right stuff doesent have a custom one (they say the B24 may work?). Kirk doesent list one, either.

tmoreau is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 22, 2006, 8:25 AM   #2

Has anybody put an arca-swiss style plate on thier 5D?
Old May 22, 2006, 10:52 AM   #3

the quick release plate is specific to the tripod head NOT the camera

it will mount to the camera with a standard 1/4-20 thread which is built into the camera
bernabeu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22, 2006, 11:07 AM   #4
Administrator

You can never go wrong with a Bogen/Manfrotto tripod and their quick release heads and plates. They have heavy duty aluminum ones, composite ones and lighter weight aluminum ones for digitals. Check at B&H Photo in NYC, they have the entire line.
steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22, 2006, 12:05 PM   #5

bernabeu wrote:
Quote:
the quick release plate is specific to the tripod head NOT the camera

it will mount to the camera with a standard 1/4-20 thread which is built into the camera
Actually I'm looking at the arca-swiss style for which Kirk, RRS, and others make camera-specific plates.... except for the 5D. They have flanges to fit the body so that the plate cannot rotate. (This happens often with my current cheap QR system)

Though I can get a generic flange-less plate, I think its a great feature to have.

I have heard some good, and some bad about the manfrotto ball heads. I figure this is my chance to buy the last tripod/head ever, so I'm trying to do it right just once (well, once more)...

It seems like a good idea to just start out with the arca-swiss clamp system, since its practically standard and has a lot of good things going for it.
Old May 23, 2006, 5:27 PM   #6

i have a slik able 300dx tripod w/ quick release plate for $99 new which has NEVER TWISTED even when used w/ 80-200mm f2.8 lenscollar

i am NOT comparing tripods, merely pointing out that a decently designed (cork or rubber topped) plate should not twist
bernabeu is offline   Reply With Quote