Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Sony Alpha dSLR / Konica Minolta dSLR, Sony SLT

Old May 10, 2006, 11:36 PM   #41

Just received my Tamron 28-300mm and took a quick shot of the moon at 300mm.It's a little soft, but not bad. I was able to sharpen the Jpegin paintshop pro, but this image is not touched up, all I did was crop it.

As far as issues with auto focus; I zoomed in at different focal lengthsaround the house andI have not noticed any focusing issues. The auto focus seems to get it just as sharp as I can manually. I bring this up because I hearsome mention issues with Tamron AF on the 5D. Ihave a 7D and don't know ifthose same issues apply, but from what I can tell, I have none. I will post some examples when I get a chance.

Attached Images

Gozinta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11, 2006, 7:14 AM   #42

About the time you posted, I was outside trying to get the same picture with my Tamron 70-300, but cloud cover made it almost impossible. Nice shot.
cope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11, 2006, 9:28 AM   #43

Cope Wrote:

About the time you posted, I was outside trying to get the same picture with my Tamron 70-300, but cloud cover made it almost impossible. Nice shot.

It was cloudy by me also, but the moon was able to shine through. The exposure settings I used don't show any clouds.
meanstreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12, 2006, 7:41 AM   #44

JimC wrote:
Quote:
I almost bought one not long ago (KEH has some now for under $25). But, I went with the 35-70mm f/4 Macro instead. I got it for $52.00, including a Maxxum 7000 from Keh.com.

By most accounts, they are both good lenses (the f/4 and f/3.5-4.5 versions of the 35-70mm).
I just purchased 35-70mm f/4 Macro with a Maxxum 7000 on on Ebay for 49.00. Right now KEH is higher on the lens by itself unless you buy one of the abused ones.
Old May 12, 2006, 8:32 AM   #45
Administrator

I wouldn't automatically assume that a bargain rated lens at KEH is "abused".

They tend to have very conservative ratings.

Often, they may mark down a lens to bargain condition, even though it's perfect from a mechanical and optics perspective (and sometimes from a cosmetic perspective, too), just because of a minor nick, or because it's missing caps or hood.

The less popular the item (and old 35-70mm lenses are not very popular anymore), the more likely you'll get one in excellent condition that's graded as bargain.

I've bought multiple bargain grade items from KEH that would have been rated as being in Excellent or Excellent- condition from some of the other vendors of used gear around.

They also have a 7 day return policy (from invoice date, so shipping time is included) so you can make sure you're happy with the item you purchased.

In addition, used equipment is guaranteed to work, regardless of its cosmetic condition, and is covered by KEH's 60 day warranty.

Sure, not all bargain grade items are going to be perfect (because not all items they acquire on the used market are going to be perfect). But, I would not hesitate to buy a bargain grade item (camera, lens, strobe, etc.) from KEH. Chances are, based on my experience with them, it will be much better than expected.

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12, 2006, 10:32 AM   #46

JimC wrote
Quote:
I wouldn't automatically assume that a bargain rated lens at KEH is "abused".

They tend to have very conservative ratings.

Often, they may mark down a lens to bargain condition, even though it's perfect from a mechanical and optics perspective (and sometimes from a cosmetic perspective, too), just because of a minor nick, or because it's missing caps or hood.

The less popular the item (and old 35-70mm lenses are not very popular anymore), the more likely you'll get one in excellent condition that's graded as bargain.

I've bought multiple bargain grade items from KEH that would have been rated as being in Excellent or Excellent- condition from some of the other vendors of used gear around.

They also have a 7 day return policy (from invoice date, so shipping time is included) so you can make sure you're happy with the item you purchased.

In addition, used equipment is guaranteed to work, regardless of its cosmetic condition, and is covered by KEH's 60 day warranty.

Sure, not all bargain grade items are going to be perfect (because not all items they acquire on the used market are going to be perfect). But, I would not hesitate to buy a bargain grade item (camera, lens, strobe, etc.) from KEH. Chances are, based on my experience with them, it will be much better than expected.

Abused was probably to strong of a word to use to describe a BGN lens even based on their description since it seems they imply cosmetic blemishes. The Ebay deal still sounds better since it included a film camera, although I'm not sure it will get much use.
Old May 12, 2006, 11:19 AM   #47
Administrator

The package I bought from KEH for $52 was in bargain condition (Maxxum 7000 + 35-70mm f/4 macro). lol

There isn't a scratch or blemish on either the body or the lens, and the lens works just fine (I tested it with my 5D along with a $7 Sunpak 222 Auto I bought from KEH at the same time). They do have higher minimum shipping/handling than some vendors (like B&H). So, it's best to order more than one thing at the same time if you're shopping with KEH.

The Sunpak was also in bargain condition and appears to be like new (except the strobe has a very tiny scratch on the front by the gold letters). I'm not even sure it's a scratch (since it's a tiny gold line that matches the color of the lettering). It may have been a manufacturing defect. No yellowing or anything to even show signs of use. They even threw in a nice coiled PC Sync cord with it. Heck, that's probably worth the $7 they asked for the strobe. lol

The only problem was that the lens was missing caps and hood (and that was indicated in the listing), and there was no body cap on the camera (but, it was nicely sealed in bubble wrap).

Otherwise, I can't find anything wrong with either the body or the lens. The shutter curtain, seals, etc. even look in perfect condition on the body (it's in super condition compared to one I got in a package on Ebay for $49 that included a 50mm f/1.7). No dust in the viewfinder either. Heck, I don't even see any signs of wear on the rubber grip surface.

Perhaps I'm just very lucky. But, that's been my experience with everything I've bought from KEH in bargain condition.

I also got my Tamron 35-105mm f/2.8 from them in Bargain Condition for only $119. The darn thing looks like new, except for a *very* tiny ding that you have to look hard for to even find. I can't figure out why they even graded it that way (unless it's because a zoom starting out at 35mm is not very popular). I could probably take photos of it from every conceivable angle, and you still wouldn't see this ding unless the light was shining on it "just right". No zoom creep or anything either (a complaint I've heard with this lens). So, it hasn't seen heavy use.

They did have more than one listed in Bargain condition at the time I got mine, and I included a short note in the order that I'd appreciate it if they hand picked the best one. So, perhaps that helped. lol

But, I've heard similar stories from others that have bought bargain condition gear from them. They tend to have *very* conservative ratings. I've bought an EX- graded lens from Adorama that was in no better condition compared to some of the bargain stuff I've bought from KEH (although EX- was a fair rating).

YMMV, since not all used gear they acquire is going to be in great shape. But, I've been very pleased with the bargain condition items I've bought from KEH.

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12, 2006, 1:26 PM   #48

JimC wrote:
Quote:
The package I bought from KEH for $52 was in bargain condition (Maxxum 7000 + 35-70mm f/4 macro). lol

There isn't a scratch or blemish on either the body or the lens, and the lens works just fine (I tested it with my 5D along with a $7 Sunpak 222 Auto I bought from KEH at the same time). They do have higher minimum shipping/handling than some vendors (like B&H). So, it's best to order more than one thing at the same time if you're shopping with KEH.

The Sunpak was also in bargain condition and appears to be like new (except the strobe has a very tiny scratch on the front by the gold letters). I'm not even sure it's a scratch (since it's a tiny gold line that matches the color of the lettering). It may have been a manufacturing defect. No yellowing or anything to even show signs of use. They even threw in a nice coiled PC Sync cord with it. Heck, that's probably worth the $7 they asked for the strobe. lol

The only problem was that the lens was missing caps and hood (and that was indicated in the listing), and there was no body cap on the camera (but, it was nicely sealed in bubble wrap).

Otherwise, I can't find anything wrong with either the body or the lens. The shutter curtain, seals, etc. even look in perfect condition on the body (it's in super condition compared to one I got in a package on Ebay for $49 that included a 50mm f/1.7). No dust in the viewfinder either. Heck, I don't even see any signs of wear on the rubber grip surface.

Perhaps I'm just very lucky. But, that's been my experience with everything I've bought from KEH in bargain condition.

I also got my Tamron 35-105mm f/2.8 from them in Bargain Condition for only $119. The darn thing looks like new, except for a *very* tiny ding that you have to look hard for to even find. I can't figure out why they even graded it that way (unless it's because a zoom starting out at 35mm is not very popular). I could probably take photos of it from every conceivable angle, and you still wouldn't see this ding unless the light was shining on it "just right". No zoom creep or anything either (a complaint I've heard with this lens). So, it hasn't seen heavy use.

They did have more than one listed in Bargain condition at the time I got mine, and I included a short note in the order that I'd appreciate it if they hand picked the best one. So, perhaps that helped. lol

But, I've heard similar stories from others that have bought bargain condition gear from them. They tend to have *very* conservative ratings. I've bought an EX- graded lens from Adorama that was in no better condition compared to some of the bargain stuff I've bought from KEH (although EX- was a fair rating).

YMMV, since not all used gear they acquire is going to be in great shape. But, I've been very pleased with the bargain condition items I've bought from KEH.
I just got a Tamron 1.4x converter from KEH. They called it LN-. It came with Tamron front and rear caps and the original Tamron soft puch for $29 plus s&h. I think they accidentally shipped me a new one.
cope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12, 2006, 2:18 PM   #49

@ Rduve, the comparison between a 50mm prime and a hyperzoom 28-300 is so unfair that you prove it's value by simply showing there is no vast difference in quality. If Ineed a 100% crop on my 19" monitor to see a noticable difference, the 28-300 is performing remarkably. I personally struggle to find significant differences between two lenses where one should stand FAR superior optically. If we understand that the 50mm prime is the easiest to manufacture well, and that the Minolta 50 1.7 is a very sharp example (the best of the best, so to speak), anything short of embarassing defeat is victory for the 28-300 in my eyes. You have me sold on it, something I would have ridiculed a few weeks ago. The only drawback I can see with this lens is aperture, which is a necessary evil if you want a lens small enough to use daily. (well, there is also the fact that it isn't a true 300mm zoom unlessfocused to infinity, but then most shots at 300mm should be focused to infinity- I can live with that.)
Mercury694 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12, 2006, 2:58 PM   #50

That moon shot looks pretty soft to me. It would be great if someone didthat samemoon shotusing the Minolta 70-210mm f/4 at 210mm and the Tamron 28-300XR at 210mm.

Overall, I think all the Tamron 28-300XR pics posted have a soft look to them when compared to my Minolta 17-80mm kit lens. In my clown pic you can clearly see single strands of hair, they are sharp and in focus. The model pics all have a soft overall look to them and look at the single strands of hair that aren't well defined even though the lens is focused on them. Probably not an ideal comparison but that is all I can come with.

I do think that softerquality of the Tamron 28-300XR gives it more of a "film look" than a sharper lens which in an odd way may makeit look better.

I'm a video professional and there are two distinct looks in video. The live "soap opera" video look that is sharp and clean and the motion picture look of film which has a lower frame rate. This film look tends to have a lower resolution look to it but audiences prefer it over the live video look when asked about perceived quality of the video/film. Many video professionals shoot video and then process the video in post production to look like film even though it lowers the overall resolution and perceived frame rate.

So maybe something like that is going on here with the Tamron 28-300XR lens. It's got that "film look" that people like.

Just my amateur opinion,

Randy Wheeler

Cavemandude is offline   Reply With Quote