Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Sony Alpha dSLR / Konica Minolta dSLR, Sony SLT

Old May 4, 2006, 12:32 PM   #11

I bought a KM 5D early this year to "go digital." I have a Maxxum 5 for which I had acquired a few lenses already, so it was a no-brainer.

Since then I have added a couple, so that I now have:

KM 50mm f1.7 sharp, fast
Tokina 20-35 f3.5-4.5 - my "widest lens" equiv. to 30-52, pretty sharp purchased used several years ago from either BH Photo or Adorama
KM 24-85 f3.5-4.5 - my "walking around lens" purchased used this year from Adorama
KM 35-70 f4 macro - my "macro" purchased this year from KEH-very cheap, pretty sharp
KM 100-300 f4.5-5/6 APO - my tele-zoom - sharp pictures when used on monopod, even handheld sometimes (with IS on). I purchased this used from BH Photo a couple of years ago.

The only thing I am missing is wide-wide angle (11 or 12mm). However, with the Tokina 20-35 and the 24-85 I can cover just about everything I need to. I use the 100-300 to shoot my sons' football and rugby games.

I would recommend getting the 24-85 and then either a long tele or a wider wide angle, depending on what you shoot. I have been very happy with the pictures taken with both the KM 24-85 and Tokina 20-35, but if I were looking for lenses now, I would look for something wider than the 20-35.
colemanlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 5, 2006, 11:04 AM   #12

jim,

i have a question about your list of lens. btw i really appreciate that as i was wondering what i should be looking for in some everyday lens. you list the 24-85 f/3.5-4.5 as your fav walk-around. i know very little about lens so forgive me if this is a dumb question but......it seems close in range to the kits lens (18-70) which i have. Is this just a better made lens or what is the difference.

thanks,

darlene
darlenerenee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 5, 2006, 12:52 PM   #13

darlenerenee wrote:
Quote:
jim,

i have a question about your list of lens. btw i really appreciate that as i was wondering what i should be looking for in some everyday lens. you list the 24-85 f/3.5-4.5 as your fav walk-around. i know very little about lens so forgive me if this is a dumb question but......it seems close in range to the kits lens (18-70) which i have. Is this just a better made lens or what is the difference.

thanks,

darlene
Darlene, the kit lens is a good lens for $99.95, but not in the same class as the 24-85 f3.5-4.5. The 17-50 goes from 3.5 to f4 by ±20mm, to 4.5 at 24mm, f5 by 30mm and f5.6 before 35mm. The 24-85 maxes out at 4.5 at 85; see the difference? Don't get me wrong, the 18-70 is a decent lens capable of taking great pictures, but it isn't Minolta's finest lens by far.
cope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 5, 2006, 1:27 PM   #14

i am really a newbie at this! i am trying to understand all about apperture and shutter speed and iso and am learning some but then i'm hit with a curve. so...and yes, this is a dumb question...on a zoom lens, the apperture that you can use depends on where you are on the zoom? in other words you can't use the max app when zoomed all the way? that would explain why when inside the state capitol on monday i set the camera to app priority but couldn't get it down to the f/3.5. i was in the balcony and most likely zoomed to the fullest. (kit lens 18-70).

so on the 24-85.... you get better app at greater zoom?

:? whoo. have i just gone over a cliff?

darlene
Old May 5, 2006, 3:36 PM   #15

darlenerenee wrote:
Quote:
i am really a newbie at this! i am trying to understand all about apperture and shutter speed and iso and am learning some but then i'm hit with a curve. so...and yes, this is a dumb question...on a zoom lens, the apperture that you can use depends on where you are on the zoom? in other words you can't use the max app when zoomed all the way? that would explain why when inside the state capitol on monday i set the camera to app priority but couldn't get it down to the f/3.5. i was in the balcony and most likely zoomed to the fullest. (kit lens 18-70).

so on the 24-85.... you get better app at greater zoom?

:? whoo. have i just gone over a cliff?

darlene
You are correct, and the kit lens is worse than most for aperture shift as you zoom. I have a cheap Tamron 28-80 that is still at f5 until I get to 70mm. You are correct in assuming that the 28-75 (and other quality lesnes) can zoom farther before shfting, and usually from 3.5-4.5 on shorter zooms.
Old May 5, 2006, 5:00 PM   #16

thanks! that explains what happened monday. there is so much to learn... but i learn alot from just reading these posts!! thanks for being patient!!

darlene
Old May 5, 2006, 5:16 PM   #17

darlenerenee wrote:
Quote:
thanks! that explains what happened monday. there is so much to learn... but i learn alot from just reading these posts!! thanks for being patient!!

darlene
Darlene, A couple of recommendations:

1. Gary Friedman's book on the 5D and 7D.

http://friedmanarchivespress.easysto....net/store.asp

2. If you have the 5D, The Magic Lantern Guide is another good book. I have heard that the 7D book has some discrepencies, so unless it has been edited, it might not be a good choice.
Old May 5, 2006, 5:53 PM   #18

that sounds like a great idea and very reasonably priced. i like this part of the description:

"this clear manual was written in a way that is not condescending nor intimidating"

sounds like a great investment!

thanks,

darlene
Old May 5, 2006, 5:54 PM   #19

btw i have the 5d so do you think the magic lantern book is better?

darlene
Old May 5, 2006, 6:42 PM   #20

darlenerenee wrote:
Quote:
btw i have the 5d so do you think the magic lantern book is better?

darlene
Not better, but different. I also have it for my 800Si, and the 5D book is three times as thick. Retail is $19.95, but I got mine from WalMart online for $12 something plus tax. Gary's book is a download unless you pay the big bucks for a bound copy. I may be struck by lightning for saying this, but I use the Magic Lantern Guide daily. and haven't looked at Gary's book in a week or so. If you only want one book, go for the Magic Lantern. Here is a link to pricegrabber.com; WalMart is the last one on the list.

http://www.pricegrabber.com/search_g...+lantern+guide