Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Sony Alpha dSLR / Konica Minolta dSLR, Sony SLT

Old May 6, 2006, 9:56 AM   #21
Administrator

darlenerenee wrote:
Quote:
jim,

i have a question about your list of lens. btw i really appreciate that as i was wondering what i should be looking for in some everyday lens. you list the 24-85 f/3.5-4.5 as your fav walk-around. i know very little about lens so forgive me if this is a dumb question but......it seems close in range to the kits lens (18-70) which i have. Is this just a better made lens or what is the difference.

As copealready discussed, it is a higher quality lens compared to the 18-70mm "kit lens", and it's relatively inexpensive on the used market.

If you look at the MTF tests for Minolta lenses at http://www.photodo.com/prod/lens/minolta.shtml, you'll see that it tests quite well for a zoom lens with it's focal range. Of course, MTF tests never tell the entire story.

It's going to be larger and heavier than your kit lens. For one thing, it's brighter. Build quality is also better (and that adds weight).In addition, it was designed to be used on 35mm models. So, it's projecting a larger image circle compared to your kit lens.

Of course, sinceyour DSLR is using the "sweet spot" of a lens (doesn't need the outside edges, which are often softer), it would probably test even betterif MTF tests were redesigned for smaller sensors.

One reason lenses designed specifically for DSLR models (your kit lens is this way) can be smaller and lighter, is because the image circles don't need to be as large to cover the smaller sensors used in a DSLR (or at least in most DSLR models, as some have 35mm size sensors).

Another thing to consider is that lens coatings on newer lenses tend to be more optimized for digital (since their sensors are more reflective compared to film).

You may want to wait and see what Sony's lens lineup will look like before spending a lot of money on lenses. But, if you're looking for a fast upgrade, this lens is not a bad one to choose if you're looking for something a bit longer than the kit lens (although it doesn't go as wide), with pretty good "bang for the buck".

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 6, 2006, 2:43 PM   #22

Hi Jim!

Seems me that we had a "Telepathy"...among us...as just today, I decided to use, my 24-85mm, which I own near 9 years, I acquired it brand new them...use it with my Maxxum 9xi body, as you commended so much...I ask my first son; to photography me with my other item that I'm 100% sure will help me to make much better sharp photos...please Jim, your opinion...on this "Table Tripod"?

I will inform you if really I will see the differences among my "Kit"...versus this better fabricated/constructed 24-85mm zoom!

Cheers,

Alex 007:|
Attached Images

Alex 007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 6, 2006, 3:44 PM   #23
Administrator

That's an interesting look (resting it against your chest). Let us know how you like the photos from your 24-85mm. I'm surprised you haven't used it before now.

I like it's focal range for a walk around lens.

Old May 6, 2006, 6:30 PM   #24

thanks jim. i think i will wait and see on the 24-85. i also was interested in the 24mm f2 you say is good for indoors. alot of family stuff, etc is indoors so a good lens for that would be nice but i don't see that lens anywhere. i seethe 24mm 2.8 quite a bit. would that be sufficient, do ya think? in most of my situations, flash could be used.

thanks,

darlene
darlenerenee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 6, 2006, 7:14 PM   #25

Alex, my friend, I like your style! That is an interesting set up. I need to find one of my little tripods and try that out. Should also be good for a camcorder as well.
cope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 6, 2006, 7:20 PM   #26
Administrator

darlenerenee wrote:
Quote:
i also was interested in the 24mm f2 you say is good for indoors. alot of family stuff, etc is indoors so a good lens for that would be nice but i don't see that lens anywhere.
I've got a 28mm f/2 (not a 24mm f/2). There is no Minolta 24mm f/2. In a 24mm prime, Minolta only made an f/2.8 lens.

Minolta also makes a 28mm f/2.8. By most accounts it's a very good lens. But, f/2.8 isn't really bright enough for what I want to use one for (f/2 is twice as bright as f/2.8 )

B&H has the 28mm f/2 for $299 (but, I don't think it's the newer restyled version). I've got the older version as pictured in the B&H listing.

Minolta 28mm f/2 for $299.95 at B&H

Quote:
in most of my situations, flash could be used
If flash can be used, then you don't really need a lens that bright unless light is too low for Autofocus with a dimmer lens, and you may prefer the flexibility of a zoom lens instead.

I've actually been considering replacing my 28mm f/2 with something brighter. Sigma is now manufacturing their 30mm f/1.4 DC lens in Minolta mount. So, I've been giving that one some thought. It should run around $429 (that's what B&H is getting for it in Nikon and Canon mount). I'll probably wait until Sony announces it's lens lineup before making any decision on a brighter prime for very low light use.

Old May 6, 2006, 7:52 PM   #27

jim,

you're right of course. it's the 28mm f/2 and 28mm f/2.8 that i meant. i was going from memory and THAT is never a good thing for me:roll:

maybe what i need to do is play with my kit lens and then see whatmy needs are once i learn more. i did order the 50mm 1.7 which i plan to use in our basketball gym among other things. i printed your list of lens and got carried away:-). iwas remembering that my z1's indoor pictures never seemed to focus well, but i expect the performance of the 5d will be MUCH better!!

thanks for your wealth of knowledge!

Darlene
darlenerenee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 7, 2006, 1:08 AM   #28

Hi Cope!

100% sure will give you with your camcorder much better results!

Of course, I ask my son to photography me, for show here in Israel, to another Nikon fan...which ordered the 70-200mm,2,8 zoom with "VR"...on his D-70 body...that this "Chest" use of a table tripod will provide him much...much...better stableness...with when will use such heavy zoom lens...I instruct him that the "Chest" tripod MUST be screwed in the lens support ring & NOT at the camera as on my attached photo...OK...I will need to be at his home with my Slick item to show him 100% exactly how to obtain maximum improvement with his equipment.

Cheers,

Old May 7, 2006, 1:18 AM   #29

Hi Jim!

Yes; you are so right...my prime reason that 9 years earlier I acquire this lens, was that I can obtain 24mm wide angle with my film Maxxum 9xi body. today such wide angle still "Un-Familiar"...(Kodak & Sony), made cameras with this wide angle lenses...but both of them are NOT DSLR...now fitted to my lovely Dynax 7D body I get 36mm...instead 27mm wide that my "Kit" provided...as you stated/submitted..."All Around Lens"..sure it's!

Be 100%, sure that I will attached a least one photo made with this lovely lens.

Cheers,

Old May 7, 2006, 4:03 AM   #30

JimC-

I really like the Sigma 30mm F 1.4 lens. Here is an existing ********* taken with my Nikon D-50 and that lens.

MT
Attached Images

mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote