Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Sony Alpha dSLR / Konica Minolta dSLR, Sony SLT

Old Oct 1, 2006, 1:31 PM   #41

Alex 007 wrote:
Quote:
Dear Alan,

What you say...when Sigma will release their newer 18-200mm "OS" (Anti-Shake; VR; IS...etc...!), will work together with the body 7D - 5D - Sony Alpha stabilizer...my silly question IF...can be use together as a TWICE Stabilizer?

If yes; (I really hope so?):!:; we will obtain much better final results

Any input will be welcome

Peace,

Alex 007:|
Alex, I doubt the Sony/KM version will be IS.
cope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 1, 2006, 3:14 PM   #42
Administrator

It wouldn't work anyway. You'd end up with blurry photos. ;-)

The camera's Anti-Shake system can't "see" the image from the lens. It's sensing camera motion and moving the CCD to compensate for it instead.

If you tried to send the camera an image that was corrected, the Anti-Shake would try to correct a stable image, and you'd end up with blur from CCD movement (since it would assume that it's moving with the image due to camera shake, not knowing that the image is already stable from a lens based system)

So, you'd need to disable one system or the other.

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 1, 2006, 7:10 PM   #43

Jim, your theory sounds rigth for me. Then stabilized lens for KM/Sony are a waste of money? That's great!!

I just purchased a KM 5D + 18-70 kit lens (acceptable for its cost) + Sigma APO 70-210 f2.8 (great, heavy and bulky lens, not for walk arround or sigth seeing)

Have somebody used the 18-200 lens? what is your opinion? I want to buy one of those for everyday use, but I'm not sure if it is at least same quality than kit lens.

And the other question... Sigma, Tamron or Quantaray??
msantos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 1, 2006, 7:20 PM   #44
Administrator

msantos

I've admired some of the photos you've taken with your DMC-FZ20 from time to time and it's nice to have another KM user here in the forums.

I haven't used any of the "all in one" type lenses like the 18-200s around.

But, from posts I've seen, I think I'd be more inclined to go with the Tamron or KM (which is probably made by Tamron) over the Sigma or Quantaray (which is probably made by Sigma) if I were going to get one of them.

P.S.

Tamron just announced a new 18-250mm lens, too. But, I don't know how long it will take before it's actually shipping and available.

http://www.tamron.jp/en/news/release_2006/news0914.html

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 1, 2006, 10:45 PM   #45

Jim:

I really appreciate your comments.

The Tamron's 18-250 looks great. With this lens I won't miss the 35-420mm from my FZ-30.

I'll wait for it. Thanks for the tip!!!
msantos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 2, 2006, 7:29 AM   #46

Pop Photo did a mini review based on Photokina.

I guess I may have to be labelled an out and out liar and buy one of these. If I get too much flak from jim CI will make him an offer on my 28-300 that he can't refuse. :lol:

http://www.popphoto.com/photonews/31...red-glass.html
cope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 2, 2006, 9:21 AM   #47

msantos wrote:
Quote:
Jim, your theory sounds rigth for me. Then stabilized lens for KM/Sony are a waste of money? That's great!!

I just purchased a KM 5D + 18-70 kit lens (acceptable for its cost) + Sigma APO 70-210 f2.8 (great, heavy and bulky lens, not for walk arround or sigth seeing)

Have somebody used the 18-200 lens? what is your opinion? I want to buy one of those for everyday use, but I'm not sure if it is at least same quality than kit lens.

And the other question... Sigma, Tamron or Quantaray??
I was interested in the Sigma going back but I decided against going with an all-in-one range like that for now. If I were going to getone, I would get the Tamron. Pop photo also did a comaparison and they seem to favor the Tamron.

http://www.popphoto.com/cameralenses...uld-i-buy.html

Of course, I might also be tempted to go with the 18-250 instead if it gives comparable results to the 18-200.

meanstreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 2, 2006, 10:04 AM   #48

cope wrote:
Quote:
Pop Photo did a mini review based on Photokina.

I guess I may have to be labelled an out and out liar and buy one of these. If I get too much flak from jim CI will make him an offer on my 28-300 that he can't refuse. :lol:

http://www.popphoto.com/photonews/31...red-glass.html
If a lens like the 18-250mm Tamron can provide decent results, itdefinitely make a great walk-around and make the 28-300mm virtually useless. It would compliment my 11-18mm quite well.I might have to break my vow to stop buying zooms for one of those and undercut you to get Jim to buy 28-300mm.

To cover anything above 250, I would then consider something in the range of100-400. I already have a 200-400 Tamron 5.6, but that is to big to hand hold. It gives me great results and you could take some shots handheld but I think it is too much stress on the lens mount handheld unless you support the lens, especially on the 5D. Itis also way to much bling to wear around your neck. I have considered getting a 100-400 in the past but have not seen anything decent and light without spending big bucks. The Minolta 100-400 4.5-6.7 APO would be nice if one could be had cheap (keep dreaming).I hesitated on a Tokina at KEH that started under around 70 or 75mm, but it is gone. I couldn't find out any info on it. I think the 100-400mm lenses on EBay are probably junk, but I don't hear to much about them.
Old Oct 2, 2006, 3:28 PM   #49

Hi lovely KM Fans,

I will wait till the Zeiss 16-80mm zoom will be released for sale, & after that I will read reviews on it; will decided if it's for me or not..., if NOT...I will go forward to the newer Tamron 18-250mm zoom lens as my prime lens for mostly of my shoots

Peace,

Alex 007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 3, 2006, 8:31 AM   #50

Alex 007 wrote:
Quote:
Hi lovely KM Fans,

I will wait till the Zeiss 16-80mm zoom will be released for sale, & after that I will read reviews on it; will decided if it's for me or not..., if NOT...I will go forward to the newer Tamron 18-250mm zoom lens as my prime lens for mostly of my shoots

Peace,

Have you heard anything about the quality of the results of the 18-250mm compared to the 18-200MM?