Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Sony Alpha dSLR / Konica Minolta dSLR, Sony SLT

Old Apr 15, 2006, 9:43 PM   #1

I am very much a novice. My wife is the photog. She has a Minolta Maxuum 4000si with several lenses. I am wondering if those lenses will work with one of the Minolta Digital SLR body. Any help greatly appreciated. thanks.
valley guy 12603 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 16, 2006, 2:40 AM   #2
E.T

If those lenses are for autofocus mount they work.

Different from 35mm SLRs, when any of MAXXUM series AF lenses is attached to the MAXXUM 7D, the focal length will be roughly 1.5 times longer than those stated.
http://ca.konicaminolta.com/products...xum-7d/08.html
E.T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 16, 2006, 3:12 AM   #3

All original Minolta AF lenses also work with the DSLRs. However, be cautious with Sigma lenses for the Minolta mount. Quite a few of then don't work with the DSLRs or require a new chip. Also a few Tokina lenses are incompatible with KM DSLRs. All the others, i.e. Tamron and Cosina (sold also under the names Vivitar, Voigtlaender, Soligor, Exakta) are not reported to have problems. www.dyxum.com is a good site for this topic.
kassandro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 16, 2006, 7:17 AM   #4
Administrator

They'll probably work just fine. Some older Sigmas have compatibility issues, as Kassandro mentioned. Sometimes Sigma can rechip them, sometimes not.

Sigma apparently missed some things when they reverse engineered the protocol (how the lens talks to the camera). Minolta lenses won't have any problems. The vast majority of 3rd party lenses in Maxxum mount will work fine, too.

I've got these Minolta Maxxum lenses so far, and they all work just fine with my Maxxum 5D:

28mm f/2 (my favorite for low light use, sharp and bright and wide enough for most indoor use). It will behave like a 42mm lens when used on a KM DSLR (lenses appear to be longer on a DSLR).

50mm f/1.7 (sharp and bright) -- a bit long for close quarters since it will appear to be 1.5 times longer from an angle of view perspective on a DSLR (it will behave like a 75mm lens). But, very useful if you're not in close quarters and want a sharp lens.

100mm f/2 (very sweet lens -- highly recommended). Perfectly usable, even wide open. It works like a 150mm lens from an angle of view perpective when used on a KM DSLR. This lens tests better at all apertures compared to the Minolta 85mm f/1.4G according to the MTF tests at http://www.photodo.com

135mm f/2.8 (for when I need something longer). Very Good lens... not quite as sharp as the 100mm f/2 at wide open apertures, but still better than most lenses. This one will have approximately the same angle of view (apparent magnifcation) as you'd have using a 200mm lens on a 35mm camera.

24-85mm f/3.5-4.5 (rapidly becoming my favorite "walk around" lens). After the 1.5x multiplier for angle of view differences, this lens works like a 36-128mm lens would on a 35mm camera. Usable at wide open apertures, too.

35-70mm f/4 Macro (surprisingly sharp, and dirt cheap on the used market). I only paid $52 for a working Minolta Maxxum 7000 including this lens at keh.com

18-70mm f/3.5-5.6 (kit lens) -- Small and light for it's focal range (designed to work only on DSLR models so they can make it smaller). It won't work on your 4000i. I rarely use it. But, since you have a narrower angle of view with a DSLR, a wider lens like this is a good idea (works out to a 35mm equivalent focal range of around 27-105mm after the 1.5x multiplier).

I've also got some Tamron lenses that work with it (SP 20-40mm f/2.7-3.5, SP 35-105mm f/2.8 ). Note that the Tamron SP 20-40mm f/2.7-3.5 is the sharpest wide zoom you can buy in Maxxum mount according to MTF tests at http://www.photodo.com . It even tests sharper than the Minolta 20mm f/2.8 and 24mm f/2.8 primes, at f/2.8. It's a discontinued lens. I found one from an Ebay vendor that still had some of them new in the box.

BTW, if you plan on a KM DSLR, I'd buy it quickly while they're still available. Adorama probably has the best deals on the 7D right now (from a reputable vendor that's not trying to sell gray market cameras):

Maxxum 7D body at Adorama for $779

Maxxum 7D with 28-75mm f/2.8 Lens at Adorama for $949

Note that this 28-75mm f/2.8 lens is worth almost $400 by itself. That's a super deal.

As for the Maxxum 5D, almost everyone is sold out now (except for some vendors selling gray market bodies and kits, not intended for sale in the U.S). Ritz/Wolf cameras still have some kits, though (stores and web sites). Bodies are sold out (but, you may want a wider lens anyway, since your lenses will appear to be approximately 50% longer on a KM DSLR):

Maxxum 5D with 18-70mm kit lens at Ritz for $649

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 16, 2006, 8:27 AM   #5
Administrator

P.S.

Sony will be introducing DSLR models that can use Maxxum mount lenses this summer.

Old Apr 16, 2006, 7:14 PM   #6

Thanks to all for the great information. I truly appreciate it!
valley guy 12603 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 17, 2006, 9:35 AM   #7

Quote:
I've also got some Tamron lenses that work with it (SP 20-40mm f/2.7-3.5, SP 35-105mm f/2.8 ). Note that the Tamron SP 20-40mm f/2.7-3.5 is the sharpest wide zoom you can buy in Maxxum mount according to MTF tests at http://www.photodo.com . It even tests sharper than the Minolta 20mm f/2.8 and 24mm f/2.8 primes, at f/2.8. It's a discontinued lens. I found one from an Ebay vendor that still had some of them new in the box.
Jim, could you please tell me your impressions of the 20-40 lens? I'm horrified by the kit lens now that I've used better (primarily my Tamron 90mm Macro) and want something wide and sharp. I've been thinking about that new Sigma 30/1.4, or the minolta 24/2.8

This lens sounds like a good fit for me, though. From the glowing reviews that sigma 30mm is getting I think thats the prime I'd get, but for a third of the price this zoom might really be a better fit to me.

tmoreau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 18, 2006, 4:01 PM   #8
Administrator

The 20-40mm is larger and heavier than the kit lens, since it's also made for a 35mm camera. It's a very nice looking lens on this camera, and it's reasonably well made (it's an SP lens).

I've used it indoors wide open from time to time. I've got a couple of them in this album (first and last image).

http://www.pbase.com/jcockfield/tamron2040

But, it's not quite as bright as I need a lens to be for indoor use. So, I don't use it too often anymore. I tend to keep my 28mm f/2 on my 5D more often than not indoors, and I've been considering the Sigma 30mm f/1.4 now that it's being made in KM mount.

If using a zoom instead of a prime outdoors, I'll usually go with the 24-85mm f/3.5-4.5 or 35-105mm f/2.8 instead to get a bit more focal range.

Although, I tried to get away with using my Tamron 35-105mm f/2.8 in a dimly lit tavern Sunday night. But, a prime would have been better as shutter speeds were running pretty slow trying to shoot at around f/3.2 at ISO 3200.

Old Apr 18, 2006, 8:36 PM   #9

JimC wrote:
Quote:
Although, I tried to get away with using my Tamron 35-105mm f/2.8 in a dimly lit tavern Sunday night. But, a prime would have been better as shutter speeds were running pretty slow trying to shoot at around f/3.2 at ISO 3200.
Jim, it all depends on how much developer you have consumed before trying the lens. :sad:

I saw your tavern pictures, and they weren't bad considering the lighting you had to contend with.
cope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 24, 2006, 8:18 AM   #10

Hi Jim!

Please you erudite opinion, as BTW...I'm planning/projecting to remain with my "Kit", & today I ordered the Sigma 10-20mm!:?

Also please; others members are very well greeters, providing me any usefully information on this specific Sigma lens, which really I don't realise that I will use it many times, what ever it's good to own such "Ultra-Wide" angle zoom lens in case that will be needed!

Thank you to all of you,

Cheers,

Alex 007:|
Alex 007 is offline   Reply With Quote