Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Sony Alpha dSLR / Konica Minolta dSLR, Sony SLT

Old Apr 17, 2006, 5:03 PM   #1

Hi folks,

I've been a member for several months now and theinfo here far surpasses any other forum. I haven't "gone digital" yet because I made a promise to myself that when my business hits a certain monthly goal, I'm buying the 5D. I've come close several times, but I'm having ahard time sticking to the plan. It's hard to motivate myself...it's kinda like tickling yourself.

Anyway, I have a film Minolta and several lenses and want to stay with it. I've been watching the price online and also in my local Circuit City and HHGregg. Funny thing is...they recently stopped carrying it...even online. Are the retailers getting scared about the Sony deal?

Has anyone had to deal with a Sony warranty since the April 1st changeover. I also wonder if prices will drop to move more cameras...if i can find it.

Open to your thoughts...
DrChris is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 17, 2006, 5:13 PM   #2

I bought my 5D from Wolf Camera online 3/24/06 for $699. They are at $649 now. Who knows if prices will go lower or the supply will dry up.
cope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 17, 2006, 5:25 PM   #3

Sony is the process of taking all KM inventory back. Get one now if you want one.:arrow:
nooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 18, 2006, 11:39 AM   #4

i got mine with the 18-70 new in box (but oddly not sealed) with warranty for $670 + ship from Cord Camera bout 2 months ago. very nice people on the phone i think.
DorkUnderwater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 18, 2006, 12:35 PM   #5

nooner wrote:
Quote:
Sony is the process of taking all KM inventory back. Get one now if you want one.:arrow:
On the KM forum at DP Review a Ritz employee stated they were not sending theirs back. I guess it's optional?
Old Apr 18, 2006, 3:09 PM   #6

Thats strange. Recall or not, inventories are drying up! I bought from B&H in January, and I highly recomend them (but they dont have it in stock). I also bought a lot of stuff from Adorama, they'd be my second choice. Amazon shows stock left for $650 (from Ritz camera).

Definatly getting close to you last chance to buy one new, I'd think. From past observations prices will not drop. They had a $50 rebate program in jan-feb presumably to reduce thier stock before the anouncement and transfer to sony, prices have been pretty consistent otherwise.
tmoreau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 19, 2006, 8:25 PM   #7

Got mine at hhgregg for $399.00!!!! What a deal!
dfuller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 19, 2006, 11:40 PM   #8

is it not yet here? i think thats probably one of the scam sites, or youre really really really lucky.
DorkUnderwater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 20, 2006, 7:32 AM   #9
Administrator

cope wrote:
Quote:
I bought my 5D from Wolf Camera online 3/24/06 for $699. They are at $649 now. Who knows if prices will go lower or the supply will dry up.
As of yesterday, the Ritz/Wolf camera web sites now show sold out (stock information changed to "Ships when received from manufacturer"). I don't know if they are *really* getting anymore or not.

I think the supplies dried up (although some local stores may still have stock).

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 20, 2006, 8:23 AM   #10

JimC wrote:
Quote:
cope wrote:
Quote:
As of yesterday, the Ritz/Wolf camera web sites now show sold out (stock information changed to "Ships when received from manufacturer"). I don't know if they are *really* getting anymore or not.

I think the supplies dried up (although some local stores may still have stock).
Jim, I noticed that too. Digital Photo shows several 5D and 7D packages from body to body and lens. The prices are in line with what Wolf/Ritz were getting (±$650 for the 5D kit).

http://www.digitalfotoclub.com/produ...ith-18-70-zoom