Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Sony Alpha dSLR / Konica Minolta dSLR, Sony SLT

Old Apr 25, 2006, 9:01 PM   #11

I don't believe that is the problem. The background is fine, but the subject washed out from the 5600HS(D) flash over exposing with to much light. The flash was mounted on a stroboframe and conected with an OC 1100 cable.
TedinMaine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 25, 2006, 9:12 PM   #12

I'll try again sending a photo
Attached Images

Old Apr 25, 2006, 9:30 PM   #13
Administrator

The background looks pretty washed out, too.

You do know you were shooting using Manual Exposure at f/8, 1/160 second, with the ISO speed set to ISO 1600, right?

With those settings, you'd get overexposure outside, even without a flash during daylight hours.

Is there a reason you were shooting in Manual using those settings? What was the meter telling you about your settings? It should have been indicating overexposure.

But, even without a settings problem impacting exposure, I wouldn't expect flash to be very accurate shooting at ISO 1600.

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 26, 2006, 9:33 PM   #14

:|Thank you JimC. How did you find the settings? I thought that I could only read that stuff in the camera. I downloaded my photos in iPhoto. You are a big help sir. I just got this the 7D a short time ago and the film camera has been sitting for a while. I'm rusty. I just check the camera and it is on 1600 still. I was so mad I just havn't touched it since that day. I'll do some test shots tomorrow outside and inside and see what happens. Thanks for being here.
Old Apr 26, 2006, 10:00 PM   #15
Administrator

I had a feeling you didn't realize it was on ISO 1600. That's not a setting someone would normally use outdoors in good light (or even in poor light with a flash). ;-)

It was also shot using manual exposure. Unless you're good about checking your settings with the camera's meter, I'd suggest sticking with Aperture Priority or Programmed Auto modes instead in most conditions.

As for how I know...Digital Cameras record the camera settings in an images header. You'll see this info referred to as EXIF.

Usually, the very first thing I do when someone has a problem is look at this information if they post a problem image. More often than not, it can help determine what went wrong.

Looking at the EXIF is a very good way to improve, too. It lets you see what settings were used when you have exposure problems so that you can make adjustments when you're shooting in the same conditions again. It takes time to understand any camera's metering behavior.

Your 7D leans towards underexposure (on purpose) in most conditions in order to protect the highlights (shooting Digital is similar to shooting transparencies and you don't want to overexpose).So, it's metering behavior will take some getting used to.

The 5D isn't quite as good about it (since it's designed for less post processing it tends to blow the highlights more in order to give printable photos straight from the camera). Shooting raw gives you more exposure latitude with both cameras (but, only to a point as you've got limited dynamic range to work with).

Many image editors and viewers can see the EXIF information. I use a product called IExif more often than not (since I can right click on an image from a browser and see the EXIF without downloading an image.

If I do need to download an image, I typically view the EXIF using Irfanview (a free image viewer and editor).

Since you're mentioning iPhoto, I guess you're usinga Mac (and these tools won't run on a Mac).

I don't know what iPhoto can give you.But, here's a freeEXIF viewer I've seen mentioned before that you may want to try.

http://homepage.mac.com/aozer/EV/

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 26, 2006, 10:55 PM   #16

Jim,

I had been meaning to ask how you knew the camera details. I had forgotten about Irfanview, but just installed it along with Ixef. Thanks.
cope is offline   Reply With Quote