Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Sony Alpha dSLR / Konica Minolta dSLR, Sony SLT

Old Apr 23, 2006, 7:17 PM   #1

Right now, I'm so damn pissed my eyes are crossed. I was in the middle of a shoot when the flash sync terminal on my 7D failed. I swapped flashes (Alienbees units) and cords. I made sure the terminal itself was properly screwed in (it has had a habit of coming "unscrewed" since day one.) The terminal itself appears to be dead.

Has anyone else experienced failure like this? Is it a simple fix - or am I looking at spending a lot of money for a "Sony" repair? Not that I have the money to get the camera looked at right now.

Right now, I've got a $1,400 piece of crap that's completely useless to me as a studio camera. The camera is less than a year old and has had taken a whopping 5,500 pictures. Woo.
William Kious is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 23, 2006, 7:52 PM   #2

if it is less than a year old it is under warranty

send it in and get it fixed

(if the terminal has continually 'unscrewed' the wire connections have probably failed)
bernabeu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 23, 2006, 7:56 PM   #3

I was experimenting with the flash after the shoot was over - the terminal itself came out of the camera. :sad: If there were wire connections, they're broken. Since the Sony change-over has happened, how long am I going to be waiting for a repair to take place? I need my camera for this weekend.
Old Apr 24, 2006, 6:16 AM   #4

You sure won't get it back that soon. I would guess repairs would take a couple of weeks minimum. It is under warranty. Where do you live? Find the local warranty station and contact them for information.
cope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 24, 2006, 7:59 AM   #5

I tried looking up a local warranty station using the Sony support website - It just pointed me straight to factory service. From what I can tell so far, Sony is not going to be very helpful about supporting legacy KM equipment.

cope wrote:
Quote:
You sure won't get it back that soon. I would guess repairs would take a couple of weeks minimum. It is under warranty. Where do you live? Find the local warranty station and contact them for information.
Old Apr 24, 2006, 9:58 AM   #6

William Kious wrote:
Quote:
I tried looking up a local warranty station using the Sony support website - It just pointed me straight to factory service. From what I can tell so far, Sony is not going to be very helpful about supporting legacy KM equipment.

cope wrote:
Quote:
Where do you live? This is important information so someone can give you a phone number for support. I assure you that Sony is already repairing KM cameras. Some people are happy with the results and some aren't. There are at least two service centers in the USA, and I know that there is international support as well.
Old Apr 24, 2006, 4:09 PM   #7

I was finally referred to Precision Camera in Connecticut. Anyone have experience with them? What's the turnaround like? I just want my camera back in one piece. :sad:
Old Apr 24, 2006, 5:14 PM   #8

It is still early in the life of Sony DSLR, and I have heard mixed reviews on Precision. BTW, don't hate KM, repair problems abound in the world of Nikon and Canon also.
Old Apr 25, 2006, 8:15 AM   #9

This forum works with Exporer. I did some out door shots with my 5600HS(D) and everything washed out. I put my OC 1100 flash cord on like I would with my film camera. Even wireless seems to wash out. Whats up with this? Can anyone tell me or point me in the right direction. I've been reading this forum and see others are having problems with the Flash 5600 on the 7D.
TedinMaine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 25, 2006, 9:54 AM   #10
Administrator

TedinMaine wrote:
Quote:
This forum works with Exporer. I did some out door shots with my 5600HS(D) and everything washed out. I put my OC 1100 flash cord on like I would with my film camera. Even wireless seems to wash out. Whats up with this? Can anyone tell me or point me in the right direction. I've been reading this forum and see others are having problems with the Flash 5600 on the 7D.
I don't have a 5600. But, it sounds like you're probably overexposing because of sync speed lmitations. The camera has a fastest flash sync speed of 1/125 second with Anti-shake on, or 1/180 second with Anti-shake off. My guess is that the flash is automatically setting the shutter speed on the camera in most modes to the fastest sync speed (which can result in overexposure outdoors, depending on lighting, aperture and ISO speed).

You'll need to use HSS (High Speed Sync) mode if you want to go faster with shutter speeds. See pages 38 and 39 of your 5600HS (D) manual for turning on HSS. If you're misplaced it, you can download a manual here:

http://www.dyxum.com/downloads/index.asp

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote